Elk report Tues 3-28

bigdaddyk

I went to Elk from 8:30 - 11:30. They still have a lot of snow and the conditions, first thing in the morning, were excellent. I didn't notice any bare spots. When I arrived at 8:05, the temp was 37. When I left at 11:45, the temp was 48. The snow got a little soft at 11:30, but wasn't too bad. There were a decent amount of people there, considering the time of year, but not like mid week in the middle of winter. I plan on getting back up there a few more times this week :rock .

When I was there, four trails were closed (Lehigh, Tuscorora, Lackawanna, and Seneca). I don't think Lehigh was open at all this year and I think Seneca was only open a couple weeks, so only two trails have been lost. I stayed mainly on the east side (left side), because I had to leave early and was too impatient to ride the slower quad. Deleware got soft early, due to sun exposure, but the diamonds Mowhawk and Iroqois remained decent. Slalom stayed pretty firm. Susquehanna got a little soft, but did not get lumpy, while I was there. The snow wasn't sticky either and I was skiing on wax that was ran on for two days. I left at 11:30. On the right side, I only went down Wyalusing, but I thought it was in pretty good shape. The other trails on that side appeared to be in good shape and had good coverage. When I left, there was still a lot of untouched snow. Also, I didn't see any snowplowers or pizza wedgers, so the snow wasn't being scraped off. As long as we don't get any hard rain, I think the coverage should stay pretty good, up through the weekend. There was still some natural snow, around some of the trees leading up to the mountain. The only place that I cringed was around the loading area, but that is to be expected. The base area gave a false representation of what the mountain was actually like, at the time I left. The only other obstacle that I ran into was a fox, that ran in front of me on the west slope. That's the first time I had to dodge an animal. I plan on going Wednesday, so I should be able to give a better comparison. Either way, to me a bad day would be better than no day. This weekend might be a little busy, because they have that event that is going to have members of the U.S. ski team. I got 17 runs in, in a 3 hour period. The snow wasn't really fast, but I was still able to do a few tucks down Susquehanna.

I'd love to know too. Bob has hinted that he could be persuaded to take me there this season, or should I say what's left of this season.

I don't think you have anything to lose...it's better than sitting at home wondering what it would have been like. If you go, go early in the day. From talking to employees, the nights have been getting relatively cold, so the snow is getting a chance to reset, overnight.

I stayed mainly on the east side (left side), because I had to leave early and was too impatient to ride the slower quad.

This weekend might be a little busy, because they have that event that is going to have members of the U.S. ski team.

Ha, thanks, bigdaddyK. I didn't know they had a quad that wasn't slow... :rofl maybe they are slow and slower. Now that you mention it, maybe the left quad takes slightly less than an eternity to get the skier up.

My son will be racing those ski team members, so I'll be there to cheer anyway...might as well ski. :woot Let's hope it stays nice.

Ha, thanks, bigdaddyK. I didn't know they had a quad that wasn't slow... :rofl maybe they are slow and slower. Now that you mention it, maybe the left quad takes slightly less than an eternity to get the skier up.

My son will be racing those ski team members, so I'll be there to cheer anyway...might as well ski. :woot Let's hope it stays nice.

Now that I read it, I could have phrased it differently. I stayed with the faster of the two slow lifts.