Ride Contrabands

Santa Clauss

The local ski shop was having a good discount for board and binding package, so i decided i would try out the contrabands with my new banana (I actually mounted them to my Ride DH), the discount was $40 off, i figured if i didn't like them, I could sell them used on ebay for $170 no problem, so i figured i would give it a shot.

So after about an hour of setting them up to my boots I thought I got them just right, (a very shitty hour)

Took em' up to test them out, ok, the stupid thong shit with the ankle strap keeps moving the strap back over the baseplate making it very difficult to get your boot in the binding standing up, so you either have to sit down to strap in, or move your foot on the tail side of the binding, hold the strap and try to get your foot in. Now I had a good feeling about these being shit, and well, they are.

It did hold my boot securely, but it was a little too tight on my boot, I have ride delta's with the convertible toe strap, I prefer it over the boot opposed to a toe cap which it could be (I love the delta's and have 2 pairs)

So i'm currently looking for a box to ship them in and they will be listed on ebay soon, probably along with the banana! I'm doing so well this year aren't I?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I read it sounds like your biggest gripe is that you can't strap in standing up, and they took some time to set up? You did mention they were a bit on the tight side, but that may change as they break in some.

I guess what I am getting at here is it sounds to me like you went into this with a shitty attitude, and are tossing them aside over minor things. Either way it is your choice, but that is what I got out of your post.

BTW: I hate ride bindings.

Nick, the whole point of the binding was to make it easier to get into. Well, also to have something new and hip I suppose. Do a google search and take a look at what they look like.

Oh I know what they look like, haha. Wait...erm, sometimes I just can't tell with you Glenn. Never mind, sell those POS bindings.

Edit: jibhonk, steeze, stoke. whew! almost forgot those. this post is thrice legit now.

Edited by nick malozzi

HAHA no troll here. If the dude says they are hard to get into the bindings fail. I mean I guess they still work as bindings, but the new tech isn't working.

I see what you are saying. I knew what bindings he was referencing. I saw them and wrote them off right away since I'd never buy a Ride product. So I wasn't 100% sure what the purpose of the tech was. I don't buy bindings based on how easy they are to put on, they all seem pretty easy to me. I look for tech that improves performance, and I guess I just assumed that thong thing was supposed to do that in some way.

So yea, sell em.

Nick, Have you used ride bindings? ever tried any of last years freestyle bindings? I absolutely love them the ratchets are so fast, they flex just right, Like glen said, I don't like the contrabands because they are designed to be faster in and out, they are NOT what they said they were. If anyone has better luck let me know, but I like to strap in standing up. and its super hard to with these.

32 prime's

Edited by davieclauss

Naw the boots fit great, its a size 10 boot even though i'm a 12, the primes mold so well to your foot you can get away with it, I have binding size 9 to 11 so its just right in the middle.

I was really hoping it would be a good product. but I'm gonna go ahead and not recommend this product.

Yea I don't buy into it as a real great tech solution myself. I have the Alphas from last year and I don't even un-do the toe strap all the way, just pop it off a bit and push it down, then when I strap in again I flip it up and one crank makes it tight. I can't imagine the contraband holds as well as a toe strap, but I've figured out that toe straps just really aren't necessary. I've broken them off countless bindings and ride with just the heel strap and it really isn't that bad.

Nick, Have you used ride bindings?

Only when trying out a buddies board here and there. The last time I've ridden a pair has got to be at least 4years ago now, but I wasn't impressed then. When I look for bindings, I look for as few screws as possible holding the binding together. Every screw is one more point at which something can get loose and fail. My theory may be flawed, I don't claim it to be the end all for everyone's needs. However, it has worked well for me. I had countless friends in the past destroy bindings because one screw came loose, and by the time they realized it they completely destroyed the binding itself from the stress. Call me lazy, but I don't like to putz around checking screws all the time to make sure they are tight. That being said, Ride has always had a ton of screws in their construction. So I've always steered clear.

Only when trying out a buddies board here and there. The last time I've ridden a pair has got to be at least 4years ago now, but I wasn't impressed then. When I look for bindings, I look for as few screws as possible holding the binding together. Every screw is one more point at which something can get loose and fail. My theory may be flawed, I don't claim it to be the end all for everyone's needs. However, it has worked well for me. I had countless friends in the past destroy bindings because one screw came loose, and by the time they realized it they completely destroyed the binding itself from the stress. Call me lazy, but I don't like to putz around checking screws all the time to make sure they are tight. That being said, Ride has always had a ton of screws in their construction. So I've always steered clear.

There is a lot of truth to that.I am currently riding 08 Ride Alphas with a heel strap on each binding, but only one toe strap since I lost one on the last run of my last day in winter 08. And I check my gear pretty religiously so I'm shocked that I lost one. That said, I also snapped the plastic strap and lost a Burton cap strap, so screws are not the only way to do that.

i'd really recommend a higher end burton binding because of the great warranty they have. if something breaks or gets lost all you do is call them and its shipped out within 48 hours but with that being said i hate burton boards but love their bindings so lets not start a burton flame war.

i'd really recommend a higher end burton binding because of the great warranty they have. if something breaks or gets lost all you do is call them and its shipped out within 48 hours but with that being said i hate burton boards but love their bindings so lets not start a burton flame war.

Yea they were the Cartels, and they replaced them I'm just saying it happened and I rode two more days on my vacation with no toe strap and it really wasn't a big deal, and I'm riding again without one this year on my Rides and it doesn't effect me in the least. I think at this point toe straps are pretty unnecessary and thats what Ride is going for with the contraband, but if it is hard to get into they basically failed on the design front.

Yea they were the Cartels, and they replaced them I'm just saying it happened and I rode two more days on my vacation with no toe strap and it really wasn't a big deal, and I'm riding again without one this year on my Rides and it doesn't effect me in the least. I think at this point toe straps are pretty unnecessary and thats what Ride is going for with the contraband, but if it is hard to get into they basically failed on the design front.

That was Ride's whole idea behind this. When they developed these, they had the Ride R&D guys out in whistler just ride with ankle straps only and they came to realize all the toe strap does is hold your toe from flopping up and down. So that is what the thong of the contraband is meant to do.

I've heard mixed things about them. Some people like them others don't it's just preference.

Yeah I hear that. Same problem with ankle straps. All they do is keep your heel from flopping up and down.

The thing I notice most is that without a toe strap holding your toes down your foot often twists the stance angle a bit so that the boot is up on the frame. If the frame where a bit higher, maybe another half inch, it would keep your foot in line with the stance angle you set and the toe strap would be unnecessary entirely. I notice it a little on presses and butters but never on regular riding. The only major difference for me is that I now wear a leash because if the ankle strap fails I don't want the board falling on someone.

Edited by Method9455

Maybe I'm just weird, maybe I'm the only one who cares about turning hard, whatever. I already have way more problems with heel turns than toe turns. You lose the toe strap you lose (total guess) 50% of board angulation range. Also you kill your efficiency through the range of motion. I get the thong setup, I would ride it. I've ridden no to straps because of failure. I wouldn't head to the hill without a toe strap though, even with huge guiding walls on the binding. Just doesn't make sense.

Maybe I'm just weird, maybe I'm the only one who cares about turning hard, whatever. I already have way more problems with heel turns than toe turns. You lose the toe strap you lose (total guess) 50% of board angulation range. Also you kill your efficiency through the range of motion. I get the thong setup, I would ride it. I've ridden no to straps because of failure. I wouldn't head to the hill without a toe strap though, even with huge guiding walls on the binding. Just doesn't make sense.

I have the opposite, my toe turns are where any control issues prop up. For me a heel side turn the high back takes all the force I want to apply.

I have the opposite, my toe turns are where any control issues prop up. For me a heel side turn the high back takes all the force I want to apply.

I can turn the board harder on my toe edge. I can manage terrain irregularities better on my heel. I dialed my high backs out of the equation a while back on DH's advice and liked it enough I never pushed them forward again. Forward lean helps for carving sure, but being able to stand directly over the board in any leg position is more important to me than doing well on groomers. Especially when I have functioning toe straps :)