2011-2012 season...

burton71

It's not just a BC thing, it's PA in general. Sure, some Pa places are better than others but it's the mentality. We frequently go North for races and up there, most times they dont close the race trails off for training. Pedestrians simply know their place. I suspect the park rules are much better followed up there as well. And it's not because of bigger signs in plain english. The whole northern skiing attitude is much different then down here.

actually, it'd be pretty easy to implement a pass system at bear if they dedicated the lift closest to tubing to be just a park lift, like what camelback does. you'd really only have to rope/net off the upper portion of whatever that main trail is between the two lifts. after that, there's trees to keep you from crossing over into the park. heck, take some time in the off season and plant a row of trees up top and you could have more rail features in place up there.

A lift is usually only running when its crowded and doesn't have the uphill capacity to handle all the park rats like B lift does. Running that lift all the time just wouldn't be cost effective at all. Also splitting Kodiak in half at the top would require more than just trees because of the side hill grading near the top.

Simply enforcing park rules is the best solution. Get caught doing something stupid in the park and your pass get pulled. Problem solved.

Edited by burton71

A lift is usually only running when its crowded and doesn't have the uphill capacity to handle all the park rats like B lift does. Running that lift all the time just wouldn't be cost effective at all. Also splitting Kodiak in half at the top would require more than just trees because of the side hill grading near the top.

Simply enforcing park rules is the best solution. Get caught doing something stupid in the park and your pass get pulled. Problem solved.

i never said it was the best solution... just that it was technically feasible haha

how does A lift not have the capacity to handle all the park rats like B lift? theyre both quads? both made by doplmayr. pretty sure theyre the same damn lift.

Not sure, that is what I was told a couple years ago when I sent an e-mail to BC asking about park passes afer I broke my wrist avoiding someone who blindly cut onto a landing. They said it had a lower uphill capacity than B lift.

yeah i was a little confused by that statement. im 99% sure both lifts are 400 FPM lifts. A lift is a little shorter which could mean less chairs resulting in less uphill capacity by what? at the most 20 people? theres just a lot of holes in bears story on that part.

Didn't they just upgrade A from a double to the quad over the summer? I don't remember it being a quad last year, and that would explain BC's point from whenever you asked. But that still would mean them having to run both chairs at once, when most of the time one is all that's neccessary. I'm sure they're not itching to do that when they just missed the most lucrative period of the season while getting no natural snow.

Didn't they just upgrade A from a double to the quad over the summer? I don't remember it being a quad last year, and that would explain BC's point from whenever you asked. But that still would mean them having to run both chairs at once, when most of the time one is all that's neccessary. I'm sure they're not itching to do that when they just missed the most lucrative period of the season while getting no natural snow.

you-must-be-new-here-willy-wonka.jpg

im pretty sure they put that quad in about 3 years ago.

I think that was the year before actually.

I don't know, it's a fine line. I mean it's freestyle, it pretty much means do what you want. Of course sitting in the landing is a dangerous idea, but pulling a pass for it??? Snaking someone? I mean who has the right of way unless every single person calls their drop, and trust me that doesn't happen. Lip jumpers, honestly, while it looks totally gaperific, I don't really even mind that much. Some of those little straight ski gaper kids are more stoked on 1 foot of air than the regulars who are kicking themselves in the but cause they missed a 270 on or didn't get their press just right. Granted they'd be safer in the baby park but it's their choice to ski where they want. I don't think putting tons of rules on it is gonna make it any more fun.

It's dicey but I say leave it the way it is, a free for all. If you'd like to improve it, like johnnylaw said just police your own. That doesn't mean beat kids up or yell at them, but a few kind words of safety instruction can go a long was.

Hell I learned most of this courtesy stuff in skate parks growing up rollerblading, and there were no park passes in there, pay the money and go where you want. Any of you old farts ever been to cheapskates in line lexington when they still let bikes, blades, and boards all go at once?? It was a mad house, ya learn to roll with it safely or you get thinned from the herd.

• Like 1

I agree with policing by users.....but I think the key is KIND words of wisdom.....and if somebody snakes your line,yea it sucks...but life is way to short to get all worked up over that.Be happy your out riding/skiing....Think how it would feel if you couldn't be out there.

i agree completely. i'm not as much of a park rat as i used to be but i still cruise down there every few runs. so if i get snaked on a jump - big whoop. i'll get at it on the next run. not the end of the world.

I don't know, it's a fine line. I mean it's freestyle, it pretty much means do what you want. Of course sitting in the landing is a dangerous idea, but pulling a pass for it??? Snaking someone? I mean who has the right of way unless every single person calls their drop, and trust me that doesn't happen. Lip jumpers, honestly, while it looks totally gaperific, I don't really even mind that much. Some of those little straight ski gaper kids are more stoked on 1 foot of air than the regulars who are kicking themselves in the but cause they missed a 270 on or didn't get their press just right. Granted they'd be safer in the baby park but it's their choice to ski where they want. I don't think putting tons of rules on it is gonna make it any more fun.

It's dicey but I say leave it the way it is, a free for all. If you'd like to improve it, like johnnylaw said just police your own. That doesn't mean beat kids up or yell at them, but a few kind words of safety instruction can go a long was.

Hell I learned most of this courtesy stuff in skate parks growing up rollerblading, and there were no park passes in there, pay the money and go where you want. Any of you old farts ever been to cheapskates in line lexington when they still let bikes, blades, and boards all go at once?? It was a mad house, ya learn to roll with it safely or you get thinned from the herd.

I'm with ya, used to skate at Magics back in the day... with blades, boards and bikes, and you bet... I learned etiquette REAL quick. I was also surfing at the time and on one trip to Cali, what i thought was a myth was in fact real deal scary when I learned the words 'snaking a wave' lead to a knife to the throat. So yeah, it takes one frightening moment to learn fast, but certainly some firm words would have been preferred, lol.

finally got to hit up bear tonight, and tom and crew did an awesome job building and keeping the park in great shape. the rail options at the bottom are awesome, especially the fat down pipe. tom, when you guys get more snow, take the dimensions of the jump you built and double them, and you'll have perfection. that jump was sooo much fun tonight to get tricks back that i hadn't done since last season and learn some new ones. all in all, super fun night. anyone who didn't go cause of the rain earlier today definitely missed out.

I fully agree, I'm talking about pulling passes for blatently dangerous stuff or for people being repeatedly told not to do something. Not calling your drop or snaking lines sucks but you shouldn't get you pass pulled for that.

they posted about it on the bciw facebook. seems pretty cool. i hope the jumps are good. the stairs thing is interesting... seems like a sick idea but the setup looked sorta whack when i was there. maybe its legit though i havent ridden it. when they were building it looked like they tried out a differnt spot for the tubing jump and the cascade one was a little bit higher up the trail then usual.