Current / Future Conditions

bjakeski

Hi All,

We're planning a trip to Elk either tomorrow or late next week. We know that the weekend must have taken some kind of toll on the conditions. Does anyone know if Elk will be making snow as the temperatures drop again? Would it be safe to assume that the conditions late next week will be better than they would be tomorrow? Thanks for any input!

There's a couple of chances for snow this week that look promising, so from that standpoint, it could be better next weekend. Elk is known for having excellent grooming and grooms almost everything but Tunks, so I would imagine conditions would be pretty good regardless. I've been there days after a freeze thaw event and it was plenty enjoyable. As for snowmaking? The best option there is to just call them and ask. Their website won't tell you anything, but the phone operators are usually quite helpful. Have fun out there!

I just looked at Elk's website and I see their spring celebration is scheduled for Sat, March 15th. Which is also the day of the Scranton St. Paddies Parade. The end of the season is drawing near for Elk, going from past years night skiing will end soon.

Given all that, get up there when you can, sooner rather than later.

I just looked at Elk's website and I see their spring celebration is scheduled for Sat, March 15th. Which is also the day of the Scranton St. Paddies Parade. The end of the season is drawing near for Elk, going from past years night skiing will end soon.

Given all that, get up there when you can, sooner rather than later.

Such a shame there isn't enough business to last longer. Most of the time they could easily make the middle of April. Once that 100 day guarantee is up, there's no point for them.

Hardly anybody lives near Elk.

All of the Wyoming Valley?

Hi All,

We're planning a trip to Elk either tomorrow or late next week. We know that the weekend must have taken some kind of toll on the conditions. Does anyone know if Elk will be making snow as the temperatures drop again? Would it be safe to assume that the conditions late next week will be better than they would be tomorrow? Thanks for any input!

How was it?

The people of the Wyoming valley aren't Elks main market...Elk is too expensive and that area is too poor. My guess is the majority of Elks business comes from Philly peeps..

Elk is so in between markets geographically that I don't know If they even know where their clientele comes from. They do ask for your zip code upon getting a ticket though, so perhaps they do?

But I don't think you can zero in on one city.

• 5 months later...

Elk is a fun mountain, but I would limit it to 2 days. The problem is no place to really stay close, unless you want to stay in a bed and breakfast, or a small kinda crappy motel. Their slow lifts don't bother me, kind of goes along with the feel of the place. The restaurant/ bar is pretty good, and prices are reasonable, but I think they are only open in the evening.  Oh, and don't duck ropes, or ski in the trees unless its one of your last runs. Ski patrol gets a little upset.