2104-2015 Season Pass info

burton71

I wasn't really trying to slam Blue, I grew up skiing there among the other "mountains" of PA.  I just meant in comparison it's not really heaps above BC.  Would be interested to hear from some of you regulars how the tree skiing is there after a good dump.  Last season was good to us and I must say I had some of the best runs I've ever had skiing at BC, I honestly never knew you could ski basically from top to bottom there in the woods and just cross a few trails.

I see Blue advertises some glades, I've never seen em but I don't frequent blue, but what is there policy on skiing the trees otherwise.  Like will you get yelled at and ejected for it like they do at Elk or do they pretty much just look the other way like at BC.  I mean after those good storms this year it seemed like everybody was tracking out the woods at Bear and the patrol couldn't really care less.  I was overjoyed by that and honestly was a bit surprised.

For the record I always liked blue as much as any other PA mountain.  Maybe I'll try and get up to join some of you PASR guys a few times this year.  Only other time I see any of ya is when you come down to take podium spots at BC ha.

Good answer Toast.  Great video.  Looks like everybody enjoyed the hell out of last winter down here.

No offense but I'd call that more liftline skiing than tree skiing.  I'll go ahead and assume you got a fair amount of woods runs in too though.  Or maybe you just don't enjoy dodging trees as much as I, who knows.  Or maybe you just didn't wanna post that online due to the fact that you are season pass holders and they are strict up there?

Regardless, I think we can all agree last winter was stellar and we are all hoping for the same again.

• Like 1

My best day at Blue last season was on a mid week day a few days after a storm. I barely touched the trails that whole day. There's even a bowl. I believe it has an unofficial name but I can't remember what that is. The marked glades were skiable for a good chunk of the season.

Honeybee Bowl

I don't care about the park I don't ski the park.

You don't but others do. Ease up on burton71. For him BC works. For you blue works.

What I don't buy is the whole notion that it's PA so it all sucks. There are hills here that are vastly different from one another. You can't tell me that alpine mountain skis like Montage or Blue or that BC skis like blue, or even that big boulder skis like little Vermont (elk). Here (as opposed to real ski areas out west) vert does make a difference. 500 vert vs 1000 is huge as you are essentially doubling the size of the hill. Yes that extra 45 seconds of skiing is noticeable. That one pitch on BC (extreme?) is probably the equivalent of the very top headwall on razors then it's flat and skating back to the lift whereas on razors you have plenty of vert and pitch, (actual skiing) left. That's just one example.

• Like 2

You don't but others do. Ease up on burton71. For him BC works. For you blue works.

What I don't buy is the whole notion that it's PA so it all sucks. There are hills here that are vastly different from one another. You can't tell me that alpine mountain skis like Montage or Blue or that BC skis like blue, or even that big boulder skis like little Vermont (elk). Here (as opposed to real ski areas out west) vert does make a difference. 500 vert vs 1000 is huge as you are essentially doubling the size of the hill. Yes that extra 45 seconds of skiing is noticeable. That one pitch on BC (extreme?) is probably the equivalent of the very top headwall on razors then it's flat and skating back to the lift whereas on razors you have plenty of vert and pitch, (actual skiing) left. That's just one example.

I agree.  Pretty much for me the most fun I'm going to have at any of the local mountains is in the park unless it is an epic snow day where it is possible to pop off trail a bit or if the trails develop some natural features. Other people enjoy it but lapping groomed out 30 sec / 1 minute runs just isn't for me no matter what the terrain is.  Even at large mountains the first thing I'm looking for on any run is a way to get off the trail, it is just what I prefer to ride. 

Edited by burton71

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully bear opens early again.  Also, does anyone know if any new rails were made?

Well, as a previous humble employee of the BC parks who has signed paperwork saying I won't post ill or hateful comments or about BC to social media, even this website specifically named.  I'll just say that I wouldn't expect any updates from Skierthomas this year and your best bet right now for updates on the parks would be to contact bear directly through FB and ask about the terrain parks.  I hope to return this year so I won't say more at this time.  If hired back again I'll do my best to keep anyone interested here posted as much as I can.  IMO it was a special opportunity that we had on PASR in that the Parks manager would post updates and inside information here, I hope that doesn't change this year as I know there are a few people on here who are regulars at BC.  Maybe next time I speak to one of the higher ups I will try to clarify what exactly we can and can't post on here as it's mostly useful info to customers rather than hate posts but who knows what they want the general public hearing.  Actually I've been meaning to send someone an email this week anyway, so I'll let him know customers are asking already and see what we are allowed to post in regards to rail building and new updates and such.

by early, you mean before 2015, right?

Painful but oh so true.  Naysayer, didn't you see the Farmers this year, gonna be chest deep blower and frozen pipes all over the region again from December til April.

• Like 4

I remember when BC actually linked to this site. That may have been pre-GSS though ;)

One of the vast array of reasons why working in the ski industry sucks if you, in fact, love the sport is that you can't talk about it unless you're marketing it. For me at least, when skiing becomes a job (and it's been close for me a few times) there's a problem.

• Like 1

You can't work for the place and  be perceived to have an unbiased viewpoint. And you can't opine that your employer's park sux. That's why they stick with marketing shtik and let the customers post up the critiques or praise. If they put out a good product that matches the marketing hype, its usually a win.

Edited by moe ghoul

You can't work for the place and  be perceived to have an unbiased viewpoint. And you can't opine that your employer's park sux. That's why they stick with marketing shtik and let the customers post up the critiques or praise. If they put out a good product that matches the marketing hype, its usually a win.

Yea but there is the little problem on this site at least that there is basically no marketing representation whatsoever.  And I'm about as unbiased as it gets when it comes to park updates.  It's not my full time job or even my favorite mountain.  I work there because I like the extra money, I like the mountain(just as much as any other mountain in PA), and I like working behind the scenes on the hill to improve other skiers and riders experience.  I like the park scene even if I'm not a huge park rat myself.

I grew up in the nineties, extreme sports are second nature to me and I like still being in the scene.  I've built and skated/rollerbladed rails, halfpipes, quarterpipes, and launchramps as a kid.  I've built and rode dirt bmx jumps all throughout my childhood.  I've visited many skateparks around the area and rode them on bikes, blades, or skateboard.  This stuff is just second nature to me and I enjoy it.  I enjoy being there, I enjoy working on it, and most of all I enjoy the vibe of all the people enjoying it and riding together.

I try to keep opinion out of any update or reply I put on here, and in turn I haven't been fired yet ha.  I honestly don't know if BC even monitors this site but considering what I posted before I'm sure they at least check from time to time and I'd rather not take chances.

• Like 1

PASkiingSucks is it worth a couple hundred dollar season pass to build features when you could be skiing?

Well yes, I am building, I am skiing, I am interacting with guests and firsthand seeing and hearing from people enjoying and appreciating my hard work.  So to me it is worth a whole lot more than a little extra dough and a season pass.  Also, I ain't getting any younger and a little manual labor over the winter is also more than welcome in my opinion.

PASkiingSucks why not get a new screen name to post BC updates from.

Pretty sure they already have an interwebs updater kind of guy on staff, although it would appear this site is not really on his radar.

I mean no hate on PASR, but how many mountains on here actively have a semi regular official presence for updates and current info??

Like I said before, BC customers were just pretty lucky on here that the park manager was an active member and realized that little updates went a long way to keeping riders happy and informed.

• Like 1

Well yes, I am building, I am skiing, I am interacting with guests and firsthand seeing and hearing from people enjoying and appreciating my hard work. So to me it is worth a whole lot more than a little extra dough and a season pass. Also, I ain't getting any younger and a little manual labor over the winter is also more than welcome in my opinion.

Pretty sure they already have an interwebs updater kind of guy on staff, although it would appear this site is not really on his radar.

I mean no hate on PASR, but how many mountains on here actively have a semi regular official presence for updates and current info??

Like I said before, BC customers were just pretty lucky on here that the park manager was an active member and realized that little updates went a long way to keeping riders happy and informed.

PAskiing you're right. Sucks that there isn't much if any mountain representation on here anymore. When done right, it's been pretty successful. For example, there's no doubt that KCSKI got people here interested in Montage (then Sno) and drummed up some business in the process.

Another example was when Phillycore began a petition here to "bring back the elevator" at frost 5 or 6 years ago. they heard us and brought it back from a overgrown sticker bush forest to an actual trail again. That alone earned them my pass money and a few years teaching there. JFBB even offered PASRs discounts to a pasr day a few years back.

My opinion is that a lot of the marketing people for the mountains around here just aren't in tune with the local skiers and riders as much as in Vermont etc.

Edited by RidgeRacer
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Yea but there is the little problem on this site at least that there is basically no marketing representation whatsoever.  And I'm about as unbiased as it gets when it comes to park updates.  It's not my full time job or even my favorite mountain.  I work there because I like the extra money, I like the mountain(just as much as any other mountain in PA), and I like working behind the scenes on the hill to improve other skiers and riders experience.  I like the park scene even if I'm not a huge park rat myself.

I'm curious, did you get the job?