Icelantic Shamans?

NMSKI

From all the reviews I read these sound like a really fun ski. I see some ridiculous deals on these and am thinking about punching it despite no demo. Would be nice to have something a little fatter than my slicers for the 1 time a year I might ski powder, but also make short turns and have fun in trees. Anybody skied these or have valuable input?

Or feel free to turn this into a poop thread if you wanna be a dickhead.

• Like 3

I owned two pairs of the original icelantic scouts. They make really solid skis. Customer service is awesome as well. They've only gotten better since than from what I have heard. As far as turning radius and shape and whether or not it's the right ski for you that's personal preference, but as a solid core independent company....they kick major ass.

They were the original at boards....(designed for back country riding initially) 143 in length but extremely wide and stiff. back when Douggie was rocking 73 waisted skis.... They moved on to skis from there. Just as Jason Levinthal did with Line before selling it to K2

Fyi....There's a sick pair of oskar blues / icelantic nomads on eBay selling for 2 fiddy.

post-1572-14179169694717_thumb.jpg

They were the original at boards....(designed for back country riding initially) 143 in length but extremely wide and stiff. back when Douggie was rocking 73 waisted skis.... They moved on to skis from there. Just as Jason Levinthal did with Line before selling it to K2Fyi....There's a sick pair of oskar blues / icelantic nomads on eBay selling for 2 fiddy.attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1417916968.688551.jpg

I was on race skis. I imagine jackson hole rocked on those bad boys.

Icelantic makes some really nice skis.  They are made in the NeverSummer factory, which makes some of the best snowboards around.  They are super damp, so you can smash into anything and not really feel it.

However, like my disgustingly handsome pal Justo said, the width and turning radius are terrifying.  If you were predisposed on Icelantics, the Keeper SKNY may be the ones for around here.

• Like 1

That tight of a turning radius in that wide of a ski terrifies me. Sounds like it'd be hooky as all hell in chop, especially since it is not rockered.

Makes sense - I might actually have to learn how to turn.

They were the original at boards....(designed for back country riding initially) 143 in length but extremely wide and stiff. back when Douggie was rocking 73 waisted skis.... They moved on to skis from there. Just as Jason Levinthal did with Line before selling it to K2Fyi....There's a sick pair of oskar blues / icelantic nomads on eBay selling for 2 fiddy.attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1417916968.688551.jpg

I would love to see a picture of those 143s that is an interesting sounding ski.

Icelantic makes some really nice skis.  They are made in the NeverSummer factory, which makes some of the best snowboards around.  They are super damp, so you can smash into anything and not really feel it.

However, like my disgustingly handsome pal Justo said, the width and turning radius are terrifying.  If you were predisposed on Icelantics, the Keeper SKNY may be the ones for around here.

Those SKNYs are nice looking but similar in width to my current ski, thanks for the recommendation though!

For whatever reason I'm itching to waste my $ on something to ride for the 5 days a year I'm in the west.

• Like 1

Makes sense - I might actually have to learn how to turn.

I would love to see a picture of those 143s that is an interesting sounding ski.

Those SKNYs are nice looking but similar in width to my current ski, thanks for the recommendation though!

For whatever reason I'm itching to waste my $ on something to ride for the 5 days a year I'm in the west.

yeah, that's why I got the Head Cyclic 115s and AT bindings. not sure what I was thinking, but is there really a bad reason to buy new gear? 

• Like 2

I've ridden most of their lineup the last three or so years, mostly spring conditions but some softer stuff.

Their skis are well made, triax, 2.2 edges, 4001 bases and their CO rep is cool as fuck.

The Shaman is an interesting ski, it's a XXL LP, M103, BS104 type ski but short radius. 184 is like 18m and the shorty is around 15m. That's kind of weird for this kind of ski. No rocker is entirely appropriate for this concept, a LP is not improved by rocker, what the fuck do you need rocker for on a LP ? It's a gun, a leggy charger, if you can't turn it why are you buying it ?

The concept behind the Shaman I think is this, your a western player, you charge pretty hard on groomers, maybe some racing background but your not the classic long radius gunner like the skis mentioned above are oriented to. You like slower speeds and more turns, that's a pretty narrow user base but IA ain't about numbers necessarily.

My personal thoughts are that I'm not sure how many people ski like that though admittedly alot of lineups are going shorter radius, for what it is though it's a good ski. Only knock on IA skis are they transfer alot of vibration on firmer groomed cord.

• Like 1

Holy shit...  I've never heard of these skis.  On paper they sound awesome.  I love the idea of a short radius wider ski... I'll need to demo one to confirm.

Rossi B Squad 104, Dynastar Legend Pro and Head Monster 103 are all pretty old and no longer exist. The modern equivalent is a pre-2014 ON3p Wren, Moment Belafonte, Rossi Exp 98 (on the softer side), Blizzard Bodacious/Cochise, 4frnt Devastator. Long radius, stiff chargers.

The daily driver fun shapes have gone pretty short radius, most of the DPS lineup is approx 20m

Rossi B Squad 104, Dynastar Legend Pro and Head Monster 103 are all pretty old and no longer exist. The modern equivalent is a pre-2014 ON3p Wren, Moment Belafonte, Rossi Exp 98 (on the softer side), Blizzard Bodacious/Cochise, 4frnt Devastator. Long radius, stiff chargers.

The daily driver fun shapes have gone pretty short radius, most of the DPS lineup is approx 20m

current billy goat and cease & desist in their large sizes are plenty burly too.
  • Like 1

Righto. These skis check a lot of boxes for me, doe:

Fully cambered... Check.

Stiff... Check

Short radius... Check

Wide... Check

Dolphins...Check

Named shamans?... Check

Edited by thedude4bides

Righto. These skis check a lot of boxes for me, doe:

Fully cambered... Check.

Stiff... Check

Short radius... Check

Wide... Check

Dolphins...Check

Named shamans?... Check

Check out the dps wailer 105 hybrid 2, Stephen Drakes skis are legendary. You will pay out the ass but they are worth it.

112 RP2 or 112 RPC if you make the trip out west frequently.

Check out the dps wailer 105 hybrid 2, Stephen Drakes skis are legendary. You will pay out the ass but they are worth it.

112 RP2 or 112 RPC if you make the trip out west frequently.

Yeah you will. Wow. Seems legit tho. Last year I scoured the Internet for the prior years Kendos because that was the last year they were fully cambered. It's a dying breed of ski. Everything under the sun has rocker now.

Yeah you will. Wow. Seems legit tho. Last year I scoured the Internet for the prior years Kendos because that was the last year they were fully cambered. It's a dying breed of ski. Everything under the sun has rocker now.

Yeah you were saying the other week you don't like

Rockered skis. Why not?

Rockered skis. Why not?

It's just like twin tips 50% reality 50% marketing. It absolutely has a use just not in every ski. What is improved with a directional hard snow charging carver with rocker ? Turn iniation is not the point behind that kind of ski.

In hard snow you want grip and grip is a function of effective edge. Reverse camber reduces effective edge and thus will not have the same potential grip as full positive camber. Reverse camber is clutch in soft snow, a full reverse reverse ski is an incredible pow tool but it's total crap every were else, it physically can't carve. Hence the hybrid fun shapes.

Rocker also promotes steering which reduces iniation and is behind a lot of skidding which is at truly epic levels.

• Like 1

Rockered skis. Why not?

It's a feel thing for me. Rockered skis are just a little more vague at turn initiation than stiff cambered skis. It's also a feedback thing. Rockered skis are a bit more forgiving when you are out of balance and I like the harsh feedback stiff cambered skis are so happy to give. Lets me know I'm not on top of my game. Some are not as bad as others and I don't hate rocker but it is harder and harder to find skis without it these days. Even race skis are getting rockered out.