Icelantic Shamans?

NMSKI

The skis I'm really pining over are Kastlë mx83's. Balls expensive though.

Those are similar to what nazarethSkierJay has I think his are the M88s. Kastles seem to be popular in Aspen and Jackson.

I just looked up those Kastles. Last years model retail for $1179 and can be had for about $800. This years model $1249...in the words of my friend Katie...Oh Lordy

The skis I'm really pining over are Kastlë mx83's. Balls expensive though.

Highlands and Ajax have them as part of the rental fleet and thus they are all over ebay very cheap. Colby pro 200$ fx94 175$...I'd take a flyer and get my tuning shit ready for those kind of prices.

180 mx83's for 300 with bindings. ..

Edited by Johnny Law
  • Like 1

Highlands and Ajax have them as part of the rental fleet and thus they are all over ebay very cheap. Colby pro 200$ fx94 175$...I'd take a flyer and get my tuning shit ready for those kind of prices.

180 mx83's for 300 with bindings. ..

That's real cheap. At that price I'd scoop them up just to try them out and flip them at no loss. I already know I love them so I'm just being trigger shy at this point.

It's just like twin tips 50% reality 50% marketing. It absolutely has a use just not in every ski. What is improved with a directional hard snow charging carver with rocker ? Turn iniation is not the point behind that kind of ski.

In hard snow you want grip and grip is a function of effective edge. Reverse camber reduces effective edge and thus will not have the same potential grip as full positive camber. Reverse camber is clutch in soft snow, a full reverse reverse ski is an incredible pow tool but it's total crap every were else, it physically can't carve. Hence the hybrid fun shapes.

Rocker also promotes steering which reduces iniation and is behind a lot of skidding which is at truly epic levels.

Getting nit picky here but rocker doesn't have to reduce effective edge. Rocker in conjunction with taper does though. The Rossi E88/98 for example has its widest point in front of the start of the rocker profile, so when you tip it up on edge, you do still get the full effective edge as if it were cambered. They're just less hooky into a turn and less snappy out of it.

In a stiff ski, I like something with mellow rocker and a bit of taper to keep it more consistent in choppy snow. Even at blue, you see a lot of variable, piled up junk. The taper keeps the ski less hooky and able to track straighter through the junk.

In case anyone hasn't noticed, I don't really buy skis for carving groomers at blue anymore...

Those are similar to what nazarethSkierJay has I think his are the M88s. Kastles seem to be popular in Aspen and Jackson.

I just looked up those Kastles. Last years model retail for $1179 and can be had for about $800. This years model $1249...in the words of my friend Katie...Oh Lordy

Where did you find last years model for 8 bills? If still shrink wrapped, I could definitely jump on that.

RE- being nit-picky... Every skier should be with their gear. It's the subtleties in this game that mean the most to us and this ain't a cheap sport so might as well do it right. What is right? That is for each one to decide for themselves.

Where did you find last years model for 8 bills? If still shrink wrapped, I could definitely jump on that.

RE- being nit-picky... Every skier should be with their gear. It's the subtleties in this game that mean the most to us and this ain't a cheap sport so might as well do it right. What is right? That is for each one to decide for themselves.

http://www.powder7.com/Kastle-MX83-Skis-183cm-New-Flat-2014/for-sale/?utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=paid&gclid=CjwKEAiA-5-kBRDylPG5096R8mASJABqEdm4eXllSP-EAwuyuyrGxWPco-7cUAWjRLfc-D51aTFxxRoC2wDw_wcB

As for the appropriate gear...depends what kind of skier you are...at Blue I just like bombing down stuff and do I minimal amount of turning because the terrain does not warrant much turning...when I'm at a bigger mountain with steeps and trees that changes. I did notice last season when I was on my Mantras that I was making a whole lot more turns and the same as when I used to ski on Atomic race skis...different slopes for different folks.

^ True. Everyone has there own style and I used just point the skis straight down and go, too. Makes for epic 20 second runs and enormously massive lift-to-slope time ratios on these small PA mountains.

Edited by thedude4bides

Unless you are getting them for free  :wiggle    I still need some binders for those Oskar Blues Nomad RKRs.  Justo, what kind of touring bindings did you get??  I always wanted Fritschi and heard good things but I got a steal on dukes when I put em on my old powder boards.  Any input?

Unless you are getting them for free :wiggle I still need some binders for those Oskar Blues Nomad RKRs. Justo, what kind of touring bindings did you get?? I always wanted Fritschi and heard good things but I got a steal on dukes when I put em on my old powder boards. Any input?

ive got nothing at the moment, still waiting on a pair of skis from on3p, but it'll most likely be a set of guardians. Really depends what you're looking for. If weight is a concern, fritschis are ok, but there's lighter stuff out there. In my opinion them and maxo kinda started the market space that dukes, guardians, and whatever the heck tyrolia makes now fill. It's an alpine binding with touring capabilities, which suits me just fine living in PA. If I lived out west and was committed to it, I'd probably be getting a pivot/dynafit cast setup, but that's not cheap...

ive got nothing at the moment, still waiting on a pair of skis from on3p, but it'll most likely be a set of guardians. Really depends what you're looking for. If weight is a concern, fritschis are ok, but there's lighter stuff out there. In my opinion them and maxo kinda started the market space that dukes, guardians, and whatever the heck tyrolia makes now fill. It's an alpine binding with touring capabilities, which suits me just fine living in PA. If I lived out west and was committed to it, I'd probably be getting a pivot/dynafit cast setup, but that's not cheap...

FREE GEORGE

• Like 1