Montage 1-2-2015

trackbiker

Skied Montage today from 9 to 1 on my $23.20 ticket bought on groupon or wherever back in October. Conditions were great on everything open. They were blowing on Switch, Spike, & Lower Runaway, and started grooming out Smoke with an expected opening in the afternoon. No lift lines to speak of. Pretty much ski-on.I'd say they could open Switch and Spike by tomorrow unless they want to wait until after the r@!n event. They may have started slow but I'd say they have much acres open as Blue and the snow is much better quality. Love that fan gun snow. Smoke was grooming out nice with no sign of the cookies that Blue makes. Boomer had nice soft bumps and White Lightning skied really well. Started getting a bit scratchy at the bottom after noon in spots but still very edge-able. Cannonball had nice soft, fast snow.

The lodge wasn't crowded with grandmoms, grandpops, moms & dads because snow tubing has not opened yet.

They need to market to the masses that were yardsaling at Blue. Great morning at a great price.

54a71288ecee1.jpg

54a712a512781.jpg

54a712bf6a9dc.jpg

54a712dc7665d.jpg

54a712fde65c5.jpg

54a7131271ced.jpg

No crowds on the Northface. Only line I saw was a short one for the beginners slope and the lift in front of the lodge. Lot was about 1/3 to 1/2 full when I left at 1:00 and people were still buying tickets.

Really worth the extra half hour drive from CB or Blue to avoid the crowds and the conditions usually hold up all day. Plus the $29 9 to 1 ticket is a better deal than anything at CB or Blue.

• Like 1

Your pictures are crappy

What keeps me from going to Sno, Boulder, Jack Frost, Eagle Rock, Alpine mountain, Bear Creek and Spring Mountain are the short runs and slow lifts...I wish the top wasnt so flat and you could ski the whole 1,000 vert every run.

I fixed this up for you Doug.  And, in all honesty, everyone that skis anywhere listed above, isnt really upset that the slow lifts and short runs keep you from skiing there.  Its actually kind of a bonus when you get right down to it.  

• Like 3

Is the long haul running?

No Long Haul. Fastrack and Runaway are not open. You don't really need Long Haul and even when it is running not many people use it. They improved the cross trails in the middle of the mountain to get from the top to the bottom and vice versa.

It still cracks me up how people will stand in a long line to get on a fast lift. I'd rather ski right onto a slow lift and get to the top faster. The conditions are much better than CB and Blue due to better snowmaking and less crowds.

The Blue Crew only skis till ten because the lines get long and the conditions deteriorate. You can ski at Montage all day on good conditions or sleep in and get there late if you only want to ski two hours on good conditions.

Your pictures are crappy

And yours are........nonexistent.

• Like 2

From 8-10 at blue you ski more vert than five hours at Sno.. Believe that!!!

I don't think so either but even if it is the case who cares? Every hill is different. Yes the top is flat but the bottom is steeper than Blue. Montage probably has better snow / grooming as well.

Blue is a completely different animal all together. While I love skiing Blue and has plenty of things that make it great, it isn't, nor should be, the gold standard by which everything else is compared.

• Like 3

FYI for all the non-Montage season pass holders.  According to their website/facebook:::

""Show your season pass from any other PA mountain* at the Montage Mountain ticket window, and get a 1/2 price lift ticket!*Excludes holidays. PA mountain must be a member of the PSAA. A full list of PA ski resorts can be found at www.skipa.com.""

FYI for all the non-Montage season pass holders.  According to their website/facebook:::

""Show your season pass from any other PA mountain* at the Montage Mountain ticket window, and get a 1/2 price lift ticket!*Excludes holidays. PA mountain must be a member of the PSAA. A full list of PA ski resorts can be found at www.skipa.com.""

Nice I wonder if blue is part of the PSAA?? I'm still not going up there but it's a nice offer.

Over the weekend , Saturday they had an impromtu rail jam in the park that was kind of unannounced but quickly drew a good sized crowd with a lot of prizes given out.  If it wasn't snowing as hard I would have had the camera out but with no heaters and I forgot my camera cover they stayed in the bag.  Nice that the mountain, other than asking "what's up?" to the organizers didn't bust it up.

Yes....I'm back...... as Photographer and "Mr. Know it All" while walking the slopes, ( Sold the skatepark Pro shop to someone closer to the venue)...not the social media guy that I was the past few seasons, but I will try to answer toast's question above and for everyone.

• Like 4

I'm still not going up there but it's a nice offer.

And yet you still feel the need to make a comment.  We all know you are not going to go.  the lifts are slow and the runs are short.  Is everyday groundhog day with you?  

Glad to hear you are back KC.  I thought you did a pretty good job of plugging the holes on a sinking ship that was Montage, for the last season before the sale.  I wish the people at some other ski areas would have someone as visible as you.  

Thats a nice offer they threw out there.  Catch white lightning on a primo day and you will barely touch anything else.  

• Like 4

And yet you still feel the need to make a comment.  We all know you are not going to go.  the lifts are slow and the runs are short.  Is everyday groundhog day with you?  

Glad to hear you are back KC.  I thought you did a pretty good job of plugging the holes on a sinking ship that was Montage, for the last season before the sale.  I wish the people at some other ski areas would have someone as visible as you.  

Thats a nice offer they threw out there.  Catch white lightning on a primo day and you will barely touch anything else.

Is everyday Groundhog Day with you???? You always have to make nasty and rude comments. I can understand as it must get frustrating being stuck skiing JF/BB all the time.

thought I posted this already, but it's gone...

-  What is the vert on that lower section? 

-  Why don't many people use the long haul?  Seems like a good way to score a long run.

-  How are the glades (when there is snow)?

Huh.  so the lift is just unreliable or just never crowded?

By the map, looks hard to even ride two lifts to the top then.  Seems kind of awkward.

The Phoebe lift is 610' vertical.

The top of Runaway and Fast track are flat. Most people don't ski top to bottom. The better skiers ski the bottom and the novices ski the top of the mountain. Montage is laid out top to bottom the way most areas are laid out side to side. It's pretty easy to ski from the top of the Phoebe to the bottom of the Iron Horse. No skating involved. They improved the crossover from top to bottom and vice versa.

KC, good to see you back. Someone who actually contributes valuable information.

• Like 4

By the map, looks hard to even ride two lifts to the top then.  Seems kind of awkward.

Not difficult at all to get between the lifts if you want to go from bottom all the way up.

Montage is definitely a fun place to ride and its hard to beat for the price with some of the specials they run.  They have stepped up the quality of their park in recent years as well. 

Edited by burton71
  • Like 1