Berks county jury awards injured snow tuber $2.1 million.

You can't ever really know unless you attended the trial, I mean if you don't know the evidence it's real hard to make a judgement.

This is super rare, you have to have failed basic things to get a decision like this and based on that article it sounds like they did.

"he was able to convince the jury that Roebuck had not been made aware of the risks associated with snow tubing, and that Bear Creek failed to ensure that the run was safe on the night Roebuck was injured or that it was designed properly to begin with"

This is 99% of why they found themselves here, seriously if somebody gave this douce canoe a 1min of instruction he's probably fucked plus and this is a big plus the design is a huge problem. Juries are stupid generally by design, you don't want smart people you want dumb people you can convince of things easily. By getting an expert to testify that the design was poor it preys on certain narratives that already exist in the society at large.

Add this into the mix "He had to undergo spinal fusion and can no longer lead an active lifestyle, according to his lawsuit." and 2.1mil isn't super outrageous.

Look dudes I don't like people that sue ski areas but this case appears to be a one off and at least on the surface has decent merit.

• Like 2

I wonder if the church group he was with was named in the suit since he got the tickets from another in the group,or if BC has some kind of suit against the people that gave him the tickets since they are not transferable....

I expect my pass to be more expensive next year...

• Like 1

I wonder if the church group he was with was named in the suit since he got the tickets from another in the group,or if BC has some kind of suit against the people that gave him the tickets since they are not transferable....

I expect my pass to be more expensive next year...

They should have insurance to cover any litigation related loses......

They should have insurance to cover any litigation related loses......

Yes, but any time the insurance company has to pay out they will look for any reason to drop you or jack up your rates. When you try to find another insurance company they will ask or found out about any recent or past litigation. Insurance companies love to take your premiums but they absolutely hate to pay out.

I'm sure Bear Creek will file an appeal.

Once I stayed overnight at bear creek with some friends and a group. Free tubing tickets. Never tuned, so I why the hell not. The runs were icy as hell and almost every person went into the net.

Reading the details, i can see why and how this played out as it did.

• 1 month later...

Your slander against the crew is not amusing Doug.  We worked hard to kick butt last year and I think most of the customers would agree that we did a good job.  

That said, I do wish we could still use that yurt, if nothing else it is a much better strategic location to work out of.  Funny part was even though we moved where crew worked out of we still ended up having to utilize the yurt several times last year as stuff was still stored in there for use on the mountain.

Minor bump in the road, we still did our job, and many thought and told us we did it much better than in many years past.  I'd say it was due to a very dedicated and passionate group, creative freedom allowed by the mountain, and a new cat operator in the park that really kicked butt and enjoyed what he was doing.

They should make the tube hill twice as steep and double the runout ha.

• Like 1