Laurel Mountain to Reopen

Ride Delaware ?

First decent sized PA mountain to open/reopen in a long time. Funded by $6.5 million in tax payer money. I wasn't into snowboarding enough to trek there before it closed in 05'. Any of the older PASRs been?

There was a guy in the DCSki forums who would post about laurel mountain..western PA receives 100-200 inches of snowfall a year in good seasons. JLAW has told some epic blue knob tales and apparently there's a good place to watch trains nearby.

Blue Marsh sucked and the people that ran it are such shit heads they killed two mountains, the other being Ascutney which had epic tree skiing.

Laurel highlands was pretty cool for a smaller hill, gss will be happy to know I'm pretty sure they have or will throw something high speed up.

The key to that area and Blue Knob is generally it snows alot, they can do 200" semi-regularly which is pretty dope for PA. The knob is covered with logging and snowmobile roads which are excellent with a little base, I don't remember such things at laurel but I only remember being their once.

Edited by Johnny Law

blue marsh was the second time i ever snowboarded.  i went with a buddy's church group to snowtube, but ended up renting a snowboard there.  the mountain was probably the same size or smaller than spring mountain.  they had a t-bar that i never saw running the two times i went there.  believe it or not the snowtubing was pretty epic, multiple ambulances were called the day i was there for snowtubing injuries. saw one girl break her arm tubing and another guy get a concussion after crashing into a wall.  drove by 3 years ago and the place was overgrown

I heard Ascutny was flat and didn't get much natural snowfall. I had no idea they were owned by the same people who own Blue Marsh.

Bernville PA 10 miles north of reading. Sounds like it's pretty close to Cabellas.

Ascutney was all about the cabin and dark side of the moon trees, the later had two 10/15ft's with super spaced old growth trees. Shit was tits mcgee.

Ski freak knows all about apple hill in Orefield which is another lost ski area.

Yes. It was a little hill. If they stayed open longer then they did, they probably would have closed by now anyway due to the unpredictable weather. Jaindl owns the property now and he wanted to build houses on it but the township made it near impossible. My uncles and their friends used to go there when it was open if they didn't feel like driving to Camelback after work.

Here's a link to some pics of what's left of Apple Hill

http://www.dcski.com/lostareas/viewlostprofile.php?id=32

Opening for this season per laurelmountainski.com with a new high speed lift and a trail about as steep as white lightning.

Cool their tix will also be good at seven springs and hidden valley, making for a nice weekend trip.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski

Opening for this season per laurelmountainski.com with a new high speed lift and a trail about as steep as white lightning.

Cool their tix will also be good at seven springs and hidden valley, making for a nice weekend trip.

You could go to Vermont or out west in the same amount of time.

• Like 1

You could go to Vermont or out west in the same amount of time.

between the time difference and the possibility of being close to resorts such as flying into SLC, this is an accurate statement.  my first 2 ski trips with my family were to vermont.  after that we figured out that with the time it takes to drive to vermont, we could have taken a flight out west.

• Like 1