Holiday Rates

Mess

What was your per day cost last season??

$24.75 per day (10 were solo days 6 were with 2 kids)

$14.14 per lift ticket

If you looked at per ticket cost only on days I skied with kids it is about as affordable as taking them to a movie.

(Of course there are other costs like gas and $100 for a seasonal rental for each kid)

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski

Did better the season before at $13.70 per ticket. Did not get to fully use my 2016 cards due to shirt season.

What do you figure you come out at per day with your pass?

Well the most I ever skied at Blue in a season was 96 days in 06-07 and so that season was about $6 per day on my pass but more realistically somewhere around $15 per day. That's a lot less than I spend when I go out for karaoke.

• Like 1

Honestly, I think they are all trying to make up for the terrible season last year. That's why the other day I made the comment about blue being empty for a holiday week. I know the weather wasn't all that great, but I still feel like there should have been more people out with being off etc. This week and President's Day is when they need to really make their money. Based on what I see in my business and hear from other business owners, I just think people are so broke they aren't going. Like Doug said, you take a family out there with rentals and it's nearly $500 and that's assuming no lodging.

I feel for these ski resorts because I know the overhead is high and a bad season really hurts. Normally when they get a bad season the following year is normally good and helps their bottom line. This year they got an early start but if they can't get people out and spend money, it's probably not going to help matters.

I think ski freak hit the nail in the head. Also I honestly believe that consumer spending has been down since the election. Consumer spending slowed in November, falling household income and higher debt attributed to that. Maybe that's why we're still waiting on pricing for the condos at Blue even though they said they'd have pricing in early fall.

Based on what I see in my business and hear from other business owners, I just think people are so broke they aren't going. Like Doug said, you take a family out there with rentals and it's nearly $500 and that's assuming no lodging.

tough month for us, i was hoping this week would be packed since people have off from work, but it hasnt been much busier than a normal week

• Like 1

I think ski freak hit the nail in the head. Also I honestly believe that consumer spending has been down since the election. Consumer spending slowed in November, falling household income and higher debt attributed to that. Maybe that's why we're still waiting on pricing for the condos at Blue even though they said they'd have pricing in early fall.

I could not wait for the election to be over. I was hoping regardless who won, it would get people back out and spending money. It seems the exact opposite has happened. The Dow's flirting with 20,000 and the news keep saying consumer confidence is at an all time high. I'd like to know where because I don't see it anywhere. It's like they say what they want to hear, sort of like how Hillary was going to win and then all of a sudden Trump wins.

Two weeks ago I was at the pizza place down from my lot. He says business has been the worst it's ever been. Then a guy who stops in all the time who delivers heating fuels says that although he's "busy" making deliveries, people are sticking him on payment. The funeral home I used to work at is barely hanging on because more people are going with cremation which is less money. Then to top it off people arrange a payment plan and either drag out making payment or end up sticking you for the majority.

Besides my car dealership, I still sell my snowmakers that you can make snow at home with. 5 years ago I would sell a ton. People would not think twice about buying them. Besides the snowmaker you had to spend money on a compressor and pressure washer. For the last few years sales have pretty much dried up. In the summer I sell misting systems. Both those businesses are just like the ski resorts. It's all weather dependent for your success and more importantly how much extra money people have to spend. This past summer was one of the hottest across this country and my misting system sales were down nearly 50% from last year, which was also down but not nearly that much. I figured people were worried about the election but I was wrong. Hell my uncle has a trucking company and he's down almost 75% from last year. That's ridiculous.

I see people come in here and struggle to buy a car. I can't even begin to tell you all how bad off people are. It's the people you wouldn't even expect either. People living in $500,000+ homes and if the water heater took a crap they couldn't come up with $500 to replace it in a hurry without a credit card.

tough month for us, i was hoping this week would be packed since people have off from work, but it hasnt been much busier than a normal week

Dude it's absolutely terrible here. I keep 15 retail units on my lot to sell to the public. I haven't sold one since 10/28. That's a 60 day streak of no selling. Unbelievable and I never had that happen. These are the slow times normally but this is exceptional. I've been selling wholesale at auction and it's off there majorly. The auction reps that stop in say everyone is complaining. Our overhead keeps going up with the vendors (Carfax, Autotrader etc.) but the profits are falling or customers aren't buying or can't get a loan. I think if the subprime auto loans burst like they keep talking about it will only keep getting worse. Thank god I own my location outright and have no mortgage and I own all my vehicles. I can weather just about any storm. I bought some cars last week from a major dealer who needed to make payroll.

My uncle worked 11 years at Honda and he jumped ship to Kia because they aren't even selling Honda's. He would have stayed but the store has now decided to start catering to people with poor credit. That to me was a real eye opener and every day on the radio I hear the dealer advertising how they cater to people with bad credit.

• Like 1

Also not gonna help that gas prices set to go up in PA as well.  

Feeling the pinch from all angles lately.

Skifreak people are more willing to put their money in the market than spend it. We've seen a slowdown since the election in a recession proof industry which really shows people are tightening their boot straps.

Mainly because you get nothing letting it sit in a bank anymore...

People live way above their means. That's the problem. Not politics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't worry though, Trump is going to bring obsolete jobs like coal and switchboard operators back to those who haven't found new jobs when theirs left.

• Like 6

People live way above their means. That's the problem. Not politics.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkDon't worry though, Trump is going to bring obsolete jobs like coal and switchboard operators back to those who haven't found new jobs when theirs left.

You know I used to have a job as an elevator operator. It had its ups and downs but as long as nobody pushed my buttons it was all good.post-512-0-59651900-1483126412_thumb.jpeg
  • Like 3