Current Conditions?

bjakeski

608 vert. on Phoebe Snow lift that serves Northface. Not that long and not that fast. But zero lines, empty runs, and White Lightning (with steepest headwall in NEPA by far) and Boomer (my fav) are only groomed a couple times a month. Also some real technical trees off White Lightning and some easy trees on the top part of the mountain (when Long Haul is running that is 914' vertical to top).

Not a place I would go on weekdays when crowds are sparse everywhere, but a great option at peak times, when I can get 5-6 608' runs in per hour.

At Blue, not being eligible for the VIP line, it would be 2-3 1050' runs on much more crowded and skied off slopes, a lot more aggravation in line, and a more expensive ticket.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski

Ski2Live have you ever arrived at blue for opening? 7 run per hour pace first two hours.

Northface on Montage, where all the interesting skiing is, I have never waited in a lift line for more than 1-2 minutes even on a holiday weekend.

On a normal weekend I ride the quad lift solo half the time.

Will likely be there one day this weekend.

I frankly don't understand how they turn a profit on their skiing. (Or why more folks don't take advantage of the great skiing they offer).

Montage has a geographic disadvantage. It's farther from Philly, NY and NJ than the pocono areas and the local population is pretty poor. I don't think they turn a profit from skiing. Remember all the ownership changes in the past decade. I remember hearing about employees paychecks bouncing back in the day. I have heard they do really well with their summer concert festivals. I have no idea how their waterpark does.

Certainly have not made it to Blue for opening recently. Gotta try to do it more.

Lift lines haven't been an issue at Blue so far this season. I truly believe that reduced consumer spending since the election has been hurting them. The runs have been plenty crowded though as they still don't have 4 major runs open.

Definitely gonna be sugar and ice this weekend anyway you slice it or dice it.

Lift lines haven't been an issue at Blue so far this season. I truly believe that reduced consumer spending since the election has been hurting them. The runs have been plenty crowded though as they still don't have 4 major runs open.

Definitely gonna be sugar and ice this weekend anyway you slice it or dice it.

That's interesting....you think people are afraid to spend money right now?

Kind of curious since PA was a tipping point for Trump....might think confidence would be high in the area.

Personally, I think smaller, non-vacation destination ski resorts are suffering from the over scheduling of high school age children.  Kids don't have time to ski anymore.  Every club and sport at competitive high schools has become a full time, year round pursuit.  Kids are playing soccer 4 seasons, going to debate tourneys every weekend, cross training for their team sports, band practices every weekend, etc...  They don't have time to ski. 

• Like 1

I don't think people are afraid to spend money now I know they are. Consumer spending is down since the election. I see it in my business, my friends see it in their businesses, heck even the local bars have been less crowded but that could be the cold. I spoke with an instructor at Blue Sunday and he said that on Saturday they barely have any lessons and sent instructors home early and that during Xmas week they only gave a handful of lessons.

I'm going to Jackson hole in 2 weeks, I wonder if it will be less crowded as well. I sort of doubt it since they've received 22 feet of snow already and are offering 40% off lift tickets to season pass holders from other mountains.

I'm 37 and most of the people I grew up skiing with in middle school and high school ski clubs no longer ski anymore. Many of them graduated from college in debt, got married, had kids and their interests changed. They still spend major loot going to Disney world and eagles games but once you leave the sport of skiing it's hard to come back due to all the equipment needed. I saw one guy I graduated from high school with at the bar recently and asked if he still skied and he said his ski boot cracked and he didn't want to spend the $$$ to replace them. I try to just worry about myself but I wanna see local ski areas do well.

Montage's problem is location, Scranton is like the Bronx but with white people

Very true.

I don't think people are afraid to spend money now I know they are. Consumer spending is down since the election. I see it in my business, my friends see it in their businesses, heck even the local bars have been less crowded but that could be the cold. I spoke with an instructor at Blue Sunday and he said that on Saturday they barely have any lessons and sent instructors home early and that during Xmas week they only gave a handful of lessons.

I'm going to Jackson hole in 2 weeks, I wonder if it will be less crowded as well. I sort of doubt it since they've received 22 feet of snow already and are offering 40% off lift tickets to season pass holders from other mountains.

I'm 37 and most of the people I grew up skiing with in middle school and high school ski clubs no longer ski anymore. Many of them graduated from college in debt, got married, had kids and their interests changed. They still spend major loot going to Disney world and eagles games but once you leave the sport of skiing it's hard to come back due to all the equipment needed. I saw one guy I graduated from high school with at the bar recently and asked if he still skied and he said his ski boot cracked and he didn't want to spend the $$$ to replace them. I try to just worry about myself but I wanna see local ski areas do well.

Very true.

Huh.  Well, that's curious.  Rural PA voted for Donal Trump.  Yet you think rural PA is now concerned to spend loot....

I'm not disagreeing with you - I know we are spending carefully (I mean, outside of skiing....) and a real reason is concern over the future economic direction of the country.  But rural PA was pretty strong GOP....

I still feel like it's just a shift in activities and priorities of school age kids, but who knows....

Yeah rural PA people don't ski as much as people from the big cities and the election hasn't affected how trump supporters or non trump supporters have spent money it's affected everybody due to uncertainty in the economy. New car sales were also down significantly in December of 2016. The fact that I work in a so called recession proof industry yet we are down and all our suppliers are down just shows people are spending less money. They're smart because up until a few years ago the average American spent more than they made. At least people are starting to save money.

GSS and TNT both are very accurate. JFBB is loaded with NJ plates every weekend. Mostly central and south jersey people. I think north jersey people head north or as west as CB. The restaurants in Lake Harmony were dead last weekend and over Christmas break we were able to make a reservation at BVT for 50 the night before New Year's Eve.

That's interesting....you think people are afraid to spend money right now?

Kind of curious since PA was a tipping point for Trump....might think confidence would be high in the area.

Personally, I think smaller, non-vacation destination ski resorts are suffering from the over scheduling of high school age children. Kids don't have time to ski anymore. Every club and sport at competitive high schools has become a full time, year round pursuit. Kids are playing soccer 4 seasons, going to debate tourneys every weekend, cross training for their team sports, band practices every weekend, etc... They don't have time to ski.

I played hockey on my high school team and a travel team my senior year in high school and worked 35 hours a week.

Talked to some of the kids currently on the team now at our alumni game and high school hockey has become almost a full time job for them. On ice practice 3 times a week, off ice training 4, and at least 1 game a weekend. It's insane how much time is put into youth sports nowadays, and I'm not that far removed (7 years).

I played hockey on my high school team and a travel team my senior year in high school and worked 35 hours a week.

Talked to some of the kids currently on the team now at our alumni game and high school hockey has become almost a full time job for them. On ice practice 3 times a week, off ice training 4, and at least 1 game a weekend. It's insane how much time is put into youth sports nowadays, and I'm not that far removed (7 years).

yeah, and it's true for every sport.  And club.  And activity.

real shame IMO.

Edited by tnt

It is crazy how scheduled my kids are. When I was in elementary school our after school hours were basically structured ala "have fun, be back by dinner, try not to ride into any cars while popping wheelies without a helmet"

I couldn't stand organized activities as a kid. I don't know if you had to go to camp but I did. It's like fuck schools out for summer so instead of getting up early to go to school everyday it's get up early to go to camp everyday SMHerman. My mom sometimes kicked me and my sister out of the house and wouldn't let us come back till dinner. I'd knock on neighbor kids doors and see if they wanted to play.

alot of high school coaches only allow you to play one sport

Wow I went to high school with one kid that played football, baseball and basketball and was varsity on all three teams as a freshman. My top sports moment in high school was either playing hackey sack like a boss with the goth kids and bandos or when I once caught a fly ball in gym class and my gym teacher made fun of me.

There was one kid I knew in high school who was a grade older and he would come back to school just for gym class. I've thought about coming back to William Allen high school on chicken turnover day but it would prob turn into 21 jump street type shit and I'd end up some girls prom date.

I agree. I don't know why it got like this. When I was growing up, my brothers played football and baseball. They practiced after school, and the season didn't consume most of the year. My son quit wrestling his senior year of high school because he wanted to do some fun things that he wanted to do. I was definitely ok with that.

I agree. I don't know why it got like this. When I was growing up, my brothers played football and baseball. They practiced after school, and the season didn't consume most of the year. My son quit wrestling his senior year of high school because he wanted to do some fun things that he wanted to do. I was definitely ok with that.

It's this way because year round sports are big business.  and to push their product they convince everyone their ids need to specialize to exceptionalism's to get into college.

Edited by tnt