Park City 2/25 - 3/4 2017

indiggio

Day 1

Bumper Ricky, Tailgate Todd, one of his friends and I flew out bright and early from PHL and arrived in SLC around 10:30. A friend of Todd got a gigantic place out here for the week, so we decided to stop at the liquor store for supplies. After checking out the beer prices there, but at $54 for a case of Stella, it was off to Wally-World!

Got beer at WM, but this low ABV has me very farty, since I have to drink a ton of it to feel anything.

We headed back to the airport to pick up another coming in early and then it was back to Wally-World again for groceries and then off to the house in the Canyons.

This place is huge and all the floors are concrete with radiant heating. I've never seen anything like it, pretty cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drive up to Canyons...

8be640b39e3edbabc069fbc74031d24f.jpg

The moose...

d0d5a5f947c30b5a2377f083f96e7229.jpg

• Like 4

Day 2

Bluebird day in anticipation of the incoming storm.

Tried to figure out how to make it down to the lifts from the "ski-out/ski-in" house, which turned out to be anything but. Poked all the way down to Canyons Village and took the Orange Bubble Express up to mid mountain.

Took a high-speed groomer down to the Super Condor Express up to the near top of Murdock Peak. Ended up lapping that lift a few times, running Devil's Friend, Thrasher, Rendezvous Ridge. Renegade and Twister.

Got bored of that peak and went down A Chute to see a guy standing atop a good 15-20' cliff, so we stopped to check him out. There was a guy & girl below, we thought, taking his picture and we thought he was just going to ski around. Just then, he backs up and hucks himself off the cliff! Unfortunately he didn't land it very clean by back-slapping, but we gave him props for jumping it.

Next we took the Sun Peak Express up and made our way down to the Tombstone Express which we took up to get to the 99-90 Express to the Ninety-Nine 90 Peak.

We spent the rest of the day lapping the 99-90, mostly running 94 turns, Red Pine Bowl and Fright Gully. Ricky & I took a jaunt down Fright Gully and cut under the lift to this crazy steep run which was a ton of fun and probably the steepest thing I've ever done.

Deciding it was time to bug out, someone decided to take Deschutes down through the woods which ended up being really tight and super icy.

• Like 5

Day 3

Woke up to it nuking snow, with a winter storm warning calling for 1-2' of snow.

Decided to drive over to Park City instead of trying to ski all the way over there.

Packed up the pickup and Jeep and made our way over. Parked in the free lot and headed to the Payday Express to start out, not knowing exactly where to go. Rode up the Payday and into complete white-out by the time we got to the top, and completely covered in snow.

Started down Payday and hung a left onto Widowmaker as a throwback to Blue. The run was totally untouched, 10-12" powder. I was skiing next to Todd and eventually overtook him, but vertigo set in as there was nothing to break up the snow from the falling.

As I went down, I noticed what looked like a line across the slope that became more pronounced as I approached at what I then determined was too fast a rate. Just then I was airborne and quickly realized I had inadvertently launched off a cat-track cliff and onto the flat...not pleasant, but with the powder, not tea-bag either.

We lapped Payday, Widowmaker and Nail Driver a number of times for the fresh refills and know knowing there was a cat-track running across the middle of the run.

We decided to go in search of some new terrain and because there's no friends on a power day, Rick, Todd and I couldn't wait and bolted.

We headed up the Bonanza and over to McConkey's Express where we had a spectacular time in McConkey's Bowl. We hung out there for a long time, having fun jumping off the cornice that had formed.

Getting hungry, we stopped at the Summit House to dry off a bit and eat some lunch we packed.

After lunch, we headed down Double Jack, which was all pillow sized bumps, and so we had to do that run a few times.

We decided to give Thaynes run a whirl that too had power bumps, but we decided to run the line right under the lift to the hoots and hollers of the riders.

On one ride, I rode up with a divorced mother who had her music on full-tilt and proceeded to tell me her entire life story of her marriage, divorce and soon relocation to Summit County CO because she can't stand all the rich "pricks" in Park City. Made for an entertaining ride on the slow Thaynes lift!

After running Thaynes to the point our legs wouldn't work anymore, we bugged out and headed for the house.

This day was definitely in the top 3 ski days ever for me.

Not many pics on a powder day...

Nuking on rise...

aa2ff49be8a7efb11053967df3c8fb0e.jpg

Park City base...

246635da1d9ecba9e022bc76b194cb9a.jpg

Rick in the snow...

ff55e312d4b7862b425688efd9ba5ecb.jpg

• Like 6

Day 4

Started out blue-bird and cold in the morning (teens). One of the guys knows a local who we're supposed to meet at the Canyons Village, so we make our way down to the Sunrise lift and then down to the Red Pine Gondola where the line is crazy. Texted the local who was running a bit late and we changed to meet at the Tombstone.

We headed down to the Orange Bubble Express and rode it up. Unfortunately it had a mid-mountain stop and one of the guys decided to get off, oh well...

We headed down Chicane down to the Tombstone, but our local wasn't there yet, so we rode up Tombstone and came back down the lift line which was nice soft, barely touched bumps.

We made a quick run down Iron Man which was soft push piles and lots of fun. Rode the Iron Mountain back up and then headed down through some woods to the Dreamcatcher lift.

Took a run down Specter and Fool's Paradise and some high-speed groomer down to the Timberline and over to the Tombstone for some lunch.

After lunch, we headed up the Tombstone and then down to the 99-90 up to the peak. At this point it had started snowing again and was coming down fast and hard enough for refills on each ride back up.

We lapped the 99-90, with the local showing us a bunch of fresh, deep wood powder, both in and out of bounds with knee to hip deep stashes.

We also took a traverse out from 99-90 Peak over to Charlie Brown and End Zone where we found tons of untouched freshies, probably because nobody wants to bother doing the traverse.

At this point the local peaced-out to pick up his kids from school and we graded back up to 99-90 for a few more laps of the trees.

As it was approaching close, we headed down the Red Pine Bowl and down Dutch Hollow to find them closing up the 99.

We headed down to the Tombstone on empty runs and made our way back to the house.

Today was definitely the best tree-skiing day ever for me. If your ever anywhere and have the opportunity to ski with a local, definitely do so!!

Pretty deep in the trees with Mardi Gras beads...

a1d7cab08f84fd8134298f5697c74f42.jpg

Edited by indiggio
  • Like 9

I here at Park City, also. Arrived Saturday and leave tomorrow, Thursday. The snow is awesome, but for an older guy like me the flat light is tough. Sometimes the mountain skis me.

Glad to read that someone else was taken out by the cat track on Widowmaker! That was a big surprise.

I spent a lot of time yesterday lapping the moguls on Thaynes and the groomed Double Jack. It is nice to have some groomed blacks to help my thighs recover.

Here is a photo of Thaynes yesterday.28af35baca2e0e44ed79d43f5ac59b22.jpg

Bryan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Day 5

It's time for a donut!

A couple took the day off to recoup and the rest of us headed out for a "light" day.

We made our way down to Canyons a little earlier to avoid the lines at the gondola and arrived to find hardly anyone there. We took the gondola up and flew down an empty Chicane to the Tombstone.

Rode up with a guy who suggested Diamond Ridge, so we gave that a whirl.

Diamond Ridge was soft with wind-blown powder, but the flat light made it a bit of a challenge, especially first run.

• Like 1

Fak! Hit send by mistake and I can't edit...

One of the goals of today was to get a fresh-made donut from Cloud Nine that they only serve until 11, so we took the Timberline over to the Iron Mountain Express. A quick run down White Pine to the Dreamcatcher and up to Cloud Nine. There sat an entire tray of donuts fresh out of the oven, glorious!

With a belly full of donuts, we lapped Chimera, which was full of soft bumps. After having our fill of Chimera, we made our way over to the Quicksilver to make our way to Park City.

It was close to lunch, so we stopped at the Miners Camp for some food. We took the Silverlode up and back down Lost Prospector which was soft chowder mixed with fluffy bumps.

Back up the Silver and over to Double Jack where we entered the woods where fresh piles could still be had.

Over to the Thaynes, we lapped The lift line a few times as the bumps on Thaynes were spectacular!

As it was getting close to when the lifts start stopping, we made our way back to the Quicksilver. Coming back we took a look at Limelite, which we'll probably hit first thing tomorrow.

• Like 3

Day 6

Bluebird day! Drive down to Park City with the temp in the teens, but not a cloud in the sky. Calling for mid-upper 30's, so expecting it to be warm skiing.

Took a run down Glory Hole which was the same in the way of snow but in total flat light, we need the sun!

Took the Crescent quad up and a fast run down Claimjumper headed for the Quicksilver gondola, but that was closed yet. Now wanting to wait, we took the Silverlode up and dropped into Blueslip Bowl. Snow wasn't near as good as yesterday, as late sun had warmed the surface enough to refreeze and form a layer of crust.

Since the sun was on McConkey's, we decided to hang there for a while. There was a cornice at the top, so a bunch of us launched off it with some spectacular "landings"...

The snow was pretty nice up here, maybe because of the shade of the bowl.

Headed down to Mid-Mountain lodge for a bit of lunch on the deck.

Took the Pioneer up and started lapping Thaynes to work the legs which, after 5 days of powder and bumps from first chair to close, are really feeling it.

Enough of the bumps, so went down to the Motherlode Meadows for some tree skiing. With the size of this place, fresh snow was still to be found.

After a few laps in the woods, it was getting close to 3, so we made our way back to the base via Crescent and Waterfall.

From the base, we went into town to see what it was like. I wasn't sure what to expect, but found it to be a quaint little town with shops selling some wicked expensive stuff.

Hit the No-Name Saloon for a few beers and a lot of laughs with some locals.

• Like 1

Day 7

Final day of skiing. Started out with a hazy day in the upper teens. Piked down to Canyons Village and rode the gondola up. Down Chicane to the Timberline and over the Iron Mountain Express.

Went down White Pine on fast snow, with how warm it was yesterday and it being quite cold overnight, anything just a bit melted refrozen.

Up Dreamcatcher, we went down Boogeyman which was pretty soft bumps with a little firmness in the troughs. Up Dreamcatcher again, we took Chimera which didn't get much sun, so the bumps were firm, but had powder on the backsides.

Up Dreamcatcher again, had to stop in Cloud Nine for one last donut.

After the donut, went down Alpenglow and through the gate to Specter which had nice soft snow and bumps. It was good enough to do again.

We departed Canyons area via the Quicksilver Gondola and over to Park City area. Up the Silverlode and down the Blueslip Bowl which also had soft bumps. It was close to lunch, so we took Pioneer down to the Mid-Mountain lodge for some lunch.

After lunch, we headed up McConkey's and took the traverse through the trees out to O-Zone which still had some nice pockets of powder.

We took Pioneer out to head for the final runs of Thaynes bumps. We lapped Thaynes a number of times until the legs were done from 6 consecutive days of skiing.

This place is incredibly huge with any type of terrain imaginable. Luckily we got a dumping at the start that provided ample powder for the entire rest of the trip and what a trip it was!

• Like 1