End of season imminent?

Old Geezer

Elk's website shows 12 trails open today, and the notice of Spring Carnival on Saturday March 18.

In the department of bad but expected news, today their webcam shows some brown spots with pooled water near the ticket window / lodge entrance.

This weekend might be the last change for top to bottom skiing there.

post-124-0-36134200-1488382843_thumb.jpg

Edited by Old Geezer

Elk has a ton of snow on its core trails. I suspect some are closed today as they are saving for the weekend by not grooming.

Elk has a substantial amount of snow s ores up in front of the lodge and ski shop which they will push over to cover where they need it at the bottom. This is what was done this morning to cover up.

http://webcams.elkmountainarea.com/elkmountainlodge/000.jpg

Elk has a ton of snow on its core trails. I suspect some are closed today as they are saving

My guess: with the Spring Carnival on March 18th and Day 100 being March 23. The mountain will officially close Saturday March 25, to allow for the family friends and employees celebration on the 26th which is a strictly private function. I don't think this happened last year as the weather was so bad.

We will see. My season is done due to injury. I'll ski vicariously through you guys for now. Hard to believe I'd have to stoop this low!

Tweeked a disc in my back avoiding a snowboarder overtaking me from behind. Was at camelback a few weeks ago. I didn't realize at the time the gravity of the injury, two days later I sure did. Working with physical therapist. May need to consider surgery. The runs there are so narrow and there can be so many people!

When was your last visit there?

spring of 2013 when they were open the first 2 weekends of april.

list of PA mountains i wanna get to (but won't because im not paying $ for a ticket)

1. Elk (havent ridden there since high school and it was raining both times ive been there)

2. Bear Creek (havent been in 7 years, want to ride for old times sake)

3. Camelback (2nd best ski resort in PA)

• Like 1

spring of 2013 when they were open the first 2 weekends of april.

list of PA mountains i wanna get to (but won't because im not paying $ for a ticket)

1. Elk (havent ridden there since high school and it was raining both times ive been there)

2. Bear Creek (havent been in 7 years, want to ride for old times sake)

3. Camelback (2nd best ski resort in PA)

Remind me next season, I may be able to float you a comp day pass to bear if you really wanted to ride there.

• Like 1

Saw the snow crew walking down the mountain last night when I was leaving work...as I have said in other threads, elk has a nice base on their main trails. I'm confident they will make it to march 23 which is day 100, and probably through that weekend. Cold cold temps the next few nights too so the snow making will productive. Pics from Feb 28 so right before this last bit of rain.

post-1516-0-41612500-1488541104_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Saw the snow crew walking down the mountain last night when I was leaving work...as I have said in other threads, elk has a nice base on their main trails. I'm confident they will make it to march 23 which is day 100, and probably through that weekend. Cold cold temps the next few nights too so the snow making will productive. Pics from Feb 28 so right before this last bit of rain.

i may have to make an elk trip if they make it that far