Cottonwoods UT 3.26-28

mbike-ski

Worked half a day last Friday then picked up Mrs SnoBunSki and headed to SLC, got to Crystal Inn just before midnight.

Ski'd Brighton Saturday, snowed all day, picked up maybe 4". They had gotten 8" a few days earlier but it got baked and re-froze to crud making anything not groomed a lot of effort for little reward. You could find a few turns of nice snow here and there in the trees. Did a few runs off of great western and a few off of Milly after a lunch break before settling back into Snake Creek. Love those trees over there, alternating between the steeper and medium pitch routes either side of the lift.

17553466_10211136468915285_1395485231180

Mrs S had contacted some Utah relatives that she had never met and they happened to be up in SLC from southern Utah so we met for dinner. Nice evening at a Greek restaurant with the long lost Greek relatives listening to stories of the old country and Utah mining and railroads.

A few more inches overnight brought the total to about 6” and bluebird Sunday Morning. We decided to check out Snowbird as we had never been there. Mrs SnoBunski needs to warm up on some cruisers and we weren’t finding them off of the tram, seems that any intermediate trails were nothing more than cat tracks and we ended up getting separated on the way over to Gad Valley. I had some nice morning of cut up pow and fluffy bump runs on the way back over to Peruvian, most fun being Silver Fox, before meeting up with her for lunch. She was having boot issues as well and having an all a around bad day and the food and beverage offerings there kinda suck so we decided to head back towards Brighton to try and salvage her afternoon. Truth be told the choppy snow ate up my legs pretty well and I didn't have many more runs like that in me anyways. Our Ski City passes worked out well over the 3 days. A good lunch and drinks at the Porcupine on the way back to Brighton helped her get her mojo back. I'm looking forward to getting back and checking out mineral basin, Baldy and the rest of the 'bird, looks like tons of fun terrain. Bohemia brewery for dinner did not disappoint. Crystal Inn is like the center of the freaking universe -  everything you want in 10 minutes or less!

Monday morning we were off to Brighton again, another inch or two made for some smooth warm up runs. The plan was to head over to solitude for a lunch and back adventure. Another bonus of the ski city pass. As we got to Milly the snow started and it was dumping by the time we got to the apex lift. Ran the summit lift a few times, the highlight being Honeycomb Canyon top to bottom. So many rollers, hips and fun single track to play on before the mellow path through the magical snow globe forest. The idea was to hit Creekside for elk steak sandwich, elk chili and epic beermosas fo an epic day.

17554222_10211151581333086_2810605439091

It was dumping at this point and picked up a dense 3". The trip back to Brighton certainly got Mrs SnoBunski out of her comfort zone crossing the Milly area. I don't know whether it was drifted snow or the new snow consolidating with the previous days' but we were in consistent boot deep butter cream pow. Back into snake creek trees, meeting the mrs at the lift after each lap. Lots of untouched knee deep turns. I just love the medium pitch middle section letting em run through the trees, probably my favorite type of skiing. Practically the only ones on the hill for our last run through creamy refills on lower frontier before our legs gave out around 3:30. There was easily 6"+ on the car to clear off while I had my Johnny’s IPA de-booter.

Funny how when we booked this trip a month ago in steamy February when it looked like the east was cooked, then looked like a bust when Stella hit us and Utah went bone dry, and finally having the buoy deliver!

• Like 9

Better late than never on this.  Sounds like a good weekend all the way around. I still get the canyons alerts on FB, and saw it was closed one afternoon while you were out there i think, so i figured you were getting some snow.  Need to look into a PASR discount at the Crystal Inn.  

seo-social-web-network-internet_232_iconHeart-Shaped-Red-Balloon.jpgbrighton.jpg

• Like 2