Anyone Going to Beer Fest?

SallyCat

Went last year when they gave a free ticket to attendees of the season pass party. It was fun even for someone who doesn't drink beer. They had some decent food for sale, and a few distillers giving samples as well. There was a vendor selling BBQ sauces and one selling salsas, giving out samples, good stuff. As a non-beer guy was glad it was free for me.

Will be at Fanatic Fantasy fest down in Philly tomorrow.

Well, Beer Fest was ok; it was a spectacularly beautiful day to be at the top of the ridge. The DH biking was the best I've seen it all year. I quit about 3pm only because my hands were so blistered I couldn't hold onto the bike. Otherwise I would have skipped the fest and kept riding.

At the fest, they give you these tiny glasses and you go around getting samples. Mostly the breweries only had two or three types of beer, so you couldn't be too particular about what you wanted to try. I accidentally ended up trying a pineapple shandy, which was as disgusting as you'd imagine. The pourers seemed to be mostly Blue Mountain staff, not reps from the breweries, so you couldn't really get much info about the beer except to just Google it. The process was a bit labor-intensive; sort of like eating crawfish--a lot of work for a pretty small reward. I kept wishing I could put together a "flight" of five or six samples and sit down away from the crowded vendor tables and just enjoy the beer. I actually ended up getting a pint of Lagunitas at the Slopeside bar.

On my way out, I saw some guy leaned against a tree in the parking lot puking up a storm while his girlfriend consoled him. I can't imagine how he managed to even acquire enough beer to get that sick. That's a lot of trips to the tables with a tiny glass. 

Still, it was festive and fun, and a beautiful day. Blue has done a really nice job with the whole summit area; it's a great place to hang out.