Edges

stever2003

I got my kit from Dr. D yesterday for Christmas. I worked on my skis for a little while yesterday. I am curious about the edging because i'm not sure that I did it properly. I had the file set for the proper direction in the file guide (I have the multi-tool from the deluxe kit). I went over the base and side edges with the file, and then with a diamond stone. However, when I run my fingernail across the edges they do not seem sharp. I only did one or two passes each with the file and diamond stone. I used short back and forth strokes as Dr. D's tips instructed. I went with a 0 degree angle on both edges.

Two more questions:

1. Should the file/stone be set completely in the multitool, or should i have just enough sticking out so that the file/stone only touches the edge? It looks like i should set it completely in there but I worry about damaging my base by doing so.

2. As I said above I used 0 degree angles on both edges. I typically ski at Blue or in the Poconos, and I'll be making a trip to Killington in a week. I know the angles are based on personal preference and ability, but what would you suggest for the conditions that I expect to ski. I've been skiing for 11 years and am comfortable on most terrain.

A bevel will grip more on the ice. When I sharpen edges I slide the file down into the tool so it only touches the edge and doesn't grind away at the base. I haven't sharpened my edges in....ever. I completely detuned under my feet and around the nose/tails of my skis. My edges are pretty shitty right now anyway. Some gnarly pitting and kinks are in them now.

how about my general issues with edging? is the lack of sharpness due to the 90 deg angle?

Are you sure that the file was hitting metal? Your ski may already have a bevel and the file wasn't touching at 0 deg. Take a sharpie and blacken the edges. Start at 0, then 0.5, upping the angle by 0.5 until you hit metal and remove the black. Then you are at that angle. Make a note with your sharpie on the ski where your foot goes so you remember next time. Then test the side angle the same way and note the angle. Put the diamond in to smooth it a bit at the angles you just set. Use these angles on your other ski. 1 deg base and 1.5 - 2 deg side is good for this area. Next time you sharpen only use the diamond on the side edge, then run the gummi down the edge like in this picture - lightly - no pressure!

aadetune-gummi.jpg

Are you sure that the file was hitting metal? Your ski may already have a bevel and the file wasn't touching at 0 deg. Take a sharpie and blacken the edges. Start at 0, then 0.5, upping the angle by 0.5 until you hit metal and remove the black. Then you are at that angle. Make a note with your sharpie on the ski where your foot goes so you remember next time. Then test the side angle the same way and note the angle. Put the diamond in to smooth it a bit at the angles you just set. Use these angles on your other ski. 1 deg base and 1.5 - 2 deg side is good for this area. Next time you sharpen only use the diamond on the side edge, then run the gummi down the edge like in this picture - lightly - no pressure!

aadetune-gummi.jpg

Great advice. I still use a sharpie when I'm setting up new skis. I'd add that you should see metal filings being removed about the width of hair. Many skis come from the manufacturer with a base and edge bevel already set----just like they come factory waxed. To sharpen the edges of some skis, you have to remove sidewall material or your file doesn't reach the metal. For this, you need a sidewall planer. My Nordica rock skis need sidewall planing and I was going to ask Dr. D if he happened to carry them...

Great advice. I still use a sharpie when I'm setting up new skis. I'd add that you should see metal filings being removed about the width of hair. Many skis come from the manufacturer with a base and edge bevel already set----just like they come factory waxed. To sharpen the edges of some skis, you have to remove sidewall material or your file doesn't reach the metal. For this, you need a sidewall planer. My Nordica rock skis need sidewall planing and I was going to ask Dr. D if he happened to carry them...

I have 2 kinds: square blade and round. Read about the relative benefits by clicking here.

Round:

rw1706.jpg

Square:

rw1318.jpg

Thanks for the tips everyone. I didn't get to work on them since my first attempt...I'm gonna spend some time this weekend figuring it out. I'll let you know how I make out.

In my kit I got a large red edge stone and a small grey gummi. It sounds like the gummi is for deburring or detuning the edges. What exactly is the edge stone for...how/when do I use it?

Thanks for the tips everyone. I didn't get to work on them since my first attempt...I'm gonna spend some time this weekend figuring it out. I'll let you know how I make out.

In my kit I got a large red edge stone and a small grey gummi. It sounds like the gummi is for deburring or detuning the edges. What exactly is the edge stone for...how/when do I use it?

I think it has a 240 grit so it is more of a handy thing that you use to take out rough spots before sharpening. You don't need it routinely.

I am trying to sharpen my edges on my skis. Does anyone have the Burton tool? I am assuming the edges on snowboards are no different then skis? Also, on it the have the degrees of the edges something like 90-95. What does this mean? and what is the difference of that and bevel? What degree should I set this at? Thanks

Edited by n0xidee

I am trying to sharpen my edges on my skis. Does anyone have the Burton tool? I am assuming the edges on snowboards are no different then skis? Also, on it the have the degrees of the edges something like 90-95. What does this mean? and what is the difference of that and bevel? What degree should I set this at? Thanks

The bevel is the angle. Try this link on edge tuning to learn more.

Doc D,

Whatever I did with my edges worked. I just had three great days in Killington. Skied in the woods for my first time ever today, it was amazing.

Also, your waxes were nice. I applied two coats of the all-temperature for the trip....I wish I had your cold wax, but I didn't have time to order it and I had the all-temp wax from your kit. The high around the bases was about 7 degrees on Thursday....my skis were squeaking across the flat stuff near the base. The temps were warmer Friday and Saturday....Waxes worked really well on these days, my friend asked me to tell him how they worked for me so he might get some from you.