Conditions?

prijon31

Haha, I don't know why all you Elk guys are defending the mountain so much. We know the terrain is fun, the snow is usually excellent, and financially, doing just fine. So why don't we just tell all the non-believers that the conditions are horrifying, and we can keep our small crowds of friendly people and short lift lines? :):lol:

Don't get me wrong, I usually do enjoy Sno's park and their NF... Theres been just a little too much chaos this year for my liking, but hey, whats wrong with a good rebuilding year?

Edited by Capitaaa!

Theres been just a little too much chaos this year for my liking

Chaos at Sno? Cool!!!

inlovewithitaly-vol20_clip_image015.jpg

Susquehanna is comparable.

:lol: Susquehanna is a nice run, but, uh, comparable to Razor's or Challenge? Did Elk regrade it or something?

I would add Tuscarora to Mohawk in there too. But it's close.

Not straight fall line, though.

That stmt go me curious, this appears to be what is being referred to:

Present your Season Pass from ANY Ski Area at Sn

Chaos at Sno? Cool!!!

Ski, I really don't want to seem like I am against Sno in any way, shape or form. I have always and still love that mountain. I have ridden there and Elk faithfully for 5 years. It's just with my recent employment at Elk, I've been there a lot more for obvious reasons.

Maybe I was a little too extreme using the word "chaos", I think a better term would be "settling in". I was only at Sno twice this season, however it was early this season. With some of the lifts not running, and the lazy river exposed, I was a little turned off about the atmosphere that I usually enjoy. I've been meaning to get up again and check things out, but working as an instructor three days a week at Elk doesn't make it very easy to get to other mountains.

By the end of the season, I WILL make it up there and reaffirm all the things that I do love about that resort.

Chances are you'll be there. Maybe I'll see you on the North Face, I'm always looking for new people to ride with.

ski, i didnt mean for my post to sound like an elk love fest, just that I am impressed with elk (as well as every other mountain in pa) that with the mild and wet winter we're having the snow conditions havn't been that bad.

oh yea and i was just kidding; elk sucks so nobody should ever come here ;)

Edited by elkskibum

Ski, I really don't want to seem like I am against Sno in any way, shape or form. I have always and still love that mountain. I have ridden there and Elk faithfully for 5 years. It's just with my recent employment at Elk, I've been there a lot more for obvious reasons.

Maybe I was a little too extreme using the word "chaos", I think a better term would be "settling in". I was only at Sno twice this season, however it was early this season. With some of the lifts not running, and the lazy river exposed, I was a little turned off about the atmosphere that I usually enjoy. I've been meaning to get up again and check things out, but working as an instructor three days a week at Elk doesn't make it very easy to get to other mountains.

By the end of the season, I WILL make it up there and reaffirm all the things that I do love about that resort.

Chances are you'll be there. Maybe I'll see you on the North Face, I'm always looking for new people to ride with.

It just sounded funny to refer to Sno as chaotic...it's more Valium-like, IMO...and the Lazy River exposed? That was at the beginning of the season and it was under the beginner area :confused If you guys dig a hole on West Slope, I'm not sure I'd care.

Again, I've written positive things about Elk for five years. It's my second or third favorite hill in PA.

:lol: No hating here, but I just crack up at ancient snow guns, grooming an 1/8 inch of old snow. Elk does not have the firepower to blow on all trails at once, thats true. But they can blow on 4 or so at a time and do so regularly. Their staff knows how to groom and when, they also only make snow when the conditions are right. Spending or wasting money making snow when it is not neccesary is bad business. The proof is in the pudding, Elk has always done a great job with conditions and they never have a problem keeping the entire mountain open and with a nice base. They offer a 100 day garuntee and are usually open till April 1st. As I have stated earlier, I have no problem with Sno/Montage or any other pa mtn. I have skiied them all many times, I personally like the country atmosphere, views, feel and ambience at Elk. I don't want sno tubing, water parks, 18 terrain parks etc. Thats why its great to have choices. If I were looking for a city like atmosphere, large crowds, hotels etc, Elk would not be my choice. Mountains make a business decision on what market they are targeting and I hope it works. You have to also play to your strengths. A good example is BB, I thought it was awesome that they opened early and basically have turned what was a small boring mountain into a terrain park heaven, that seems to make sense. You can't build a bigger of better moutain, but you can build parks. However, I would not pay

to ski there, I am and older man who enjoys skiing only, no boarding or jumping, but if I were still young and into the park scene, then I would probably go there instead of Elk. All of the mountains have their own character, heres my take:

ELk:pure skiing and riding, focus is on quality, not quantity. Quiet and peaceful.

Camelback: Something for everyone, tubing, parks, water parks, hotels, mostly caters to intermediates and families to stay more then one day.

Shawnee: focus in on beginners and families learning to ski or ride

Alpine: Value

Blue: Blue has changed alot during the years, but seems to be trying to make the mountain bigger and faster with the lifts etc. to handle the crowds. Someone also told me that there are plans for condos?

JFBB: New owners have modernized snowmaking and focused on parks. good idea especially BB.

Sno: Its hard to say, but it looks like they are targeting families etc and a something for everyone type of approach. Big parks, new waterpark, new lodges etc. Are their plans for a hotel?

As a business man, marketing major, although I did study meterology for a while, but it was too boring. I find it interesting to watch how the mountains change and hopefully either improve or maintain quality and profits as well as stay out of debt. Ski resorts are a tough business. Alot of mountains spend a ton of money and never have the return they expect. I thought the waterpark idea was a good one and more mountains seem to be building these. They probably turn a bigger profit from the waterparks then in the winter, just a guess though.

:lol: No hating here, but I just crack up at ancient snow guns, grooming an 1/8 inch of old snow. Elk does not have the firepower to blow on all trails at once, thats true. But they can blow on 4 or so at a time and do so regularly. Their staff knows how to groom and when, they also only make snow when the conditions are right. Spending or wasting money making snow when it is not neccesary is bad business. The proof is in the pudding, Elk has always done a great job with conditions and they never have a problem keeping the entire mountain open and with a nice base. They offer a 100 day garuntee and are usually open till April 1st. As I have stated earlier, I have no problem with Sno/Montage or any other pa mtn. I have skiied them all many times, I personally like the country atmosphere, views, feel and ambience at Elk. I don't want sno tubing, water parks, 18 terrain parks etc. Thats why its great to have choices. If I were looking for a city like atmosphere, large crowds, hotels etc, Elk would not be my choice. Mountains make a business decision on what market they are targeting and I hope it works. You have to also play to your strengths. A good example is BB, I thought it was awesome that they opened early and basically have turned what was a small boring mountain into a terrain park heaven, that seems to make sense. You can't build a bigger of better moutain, but you can build parks. However, I would not pay

to ski there, I am and older man who enjoys skiing only, no boarding or jumping, but if I were still young and into the park scene, then I would probably go there instead of Elk. All of the mountains have their own character, heres my take:

ELk:pure skiing and riding, focus is on quality, not quantity. Quiet and peaceful.

Camelback: Something for everyone, tubing, parks, water parks, hotels, mostly caters to intermediates and families to stay more then one day.

Shawnee: focus in on beginners and families learning to ski or ride

Alpine: Value

Blue: Blue has changed alot during the years, but seems to be trying to make the mountain bigger and faster with the lifts etc. to handle the crowds. Someone also told me that there are plans for condos?

JFBB: New owners have modernized snowmaking and focused on parks. good idea especially BB.

Sno: Its hard to say, but it looks like they are targeting families etc and a something for everyone type of approach. Big parks, new waterpark, new lodges etc. Are their plans for a hotel?

As a business man, marketing major, although I did study meterology for a while, but it was too boring. I find it interesting to watch how the mountains change and hopefully either improve or maintain quality and profits as well as stay out of debt. Ski resorts are a tough business. Alot of mountains spend a ton of money and never have the return they expect. I thought the waterpark idea was a good one and more mountains seem to be building these. They probably turn a bigger profit from the waterparks then in the winter, just a guess though.

CB makes its big $$$ on the summer crowd with their waterpark and beach. It's one of the major reasons they are reluctant to keep the mountain open past March because it takes a ton of time to set the place up for the summer season.

Edited by Moe Ghoul

No hating here, but I just crack up at ancient snow guns, grooming an 1/8 inch of old snow. Elk does not have the firepower to blow on all trails at once, thats true. But they can blow on 4 or so at a time and do so regularly. Their staff knows how to groom and when, they also only make snow when the conditions are right. Spending or wasting money making snow when it is not neccesary is bad business. The proof is in the pudding, Elk has always done a great job with conditions and they never have a problem keeping the entire mountain open and with a nice base. They offer a 100 day garuntee and are usually open till April 1st.

*Four inches of snow compresses to about 1/8" when groomed. Why is that funny? Check your driveway the next to you drive home after it snowed.

*When is making snow in PA not necessary? I heard that same thing said when they were hammering Sno's NF right before it was 60 degrees and rainy two weeks ago. The mid-winter conditions we enjoyed sure made us happy they had "wasted" the money.

*The Elk founder spoke at a public meeting prior to the Montage sale and said this,"The best way for a Pennsyvania ski area to make money is to install a water park." After being a CB passholder for years and suffering their early closings, hearing it from someone like that made me soften my position on hating ski area water parks. But mid-December to mid-March is 100 days.

*Just out of curiosity, is the 100 day guarantee a 'true' guarantee? Do you get a full refund?

I thought the waterpark idea was a good one and more mountains seem to be building these. They probably turn a bigger profit from the waterparks then in the winter, just a guess though.

Its funny you mention the water park. A while ago the owner of elk actually said that a waterpark would be the best idea to have at a pa ski area, which in itself is almost unbelievable that he would think that, considering that would probably be the last thing they ever put in.

Edit: damn you just beat me to it

Edited by elkskibum

*Four inches of snow compresses to about 1/8" when groomed. Why is that funny? Check your driveway the next to you drive home after it snowed.

*When is making snow in PA not necessary? I heard that same thing said when they were hammering Sno's NF right before it was 60 degrees and rainy two weeks ago. The mid-winter conditions we enjoyed sure made us happy they had "wasted" the money.

*The Elk founder spoke at a public meeting prior to the Montage sale and said this,"The best way for a Pennsyvania ski area to make money is to install a water park." After being a CB passholder for years and suffering their early closings, hearing it from someone like that made me soften my position on hating ski area water parks. But mid-December to mid-March is 100 days.

*Just out of curiosity, is the 100 day guarantee a 'true' guarantee? Do you get a full refund?

I think it's only a partial, not sure if it's a flat amount or pro rated.

Its not a full refund, its how many days short they were. So if the pass for a season was say $500 and they were only open 95 days, they would give a pass holder a credit of $25 (5 days at 5 dollars each) for the next year. Its not a true 'guarantee' but it shows a commitment to their product.

*this actually happened a few seasons ago: they were short a few days and gave a credit for the next season

Per the 100 day guarantee, it's pro-rata. If they close after 99 days, an adult early purchase passholder gets $6.25 off next season's pass, if I figured it out correctly. That's pretty cool, although if a ski area can't be open 100 days, it's because of terrible weather and I'm not sure I'd really want to punish them financially.

Its not a full refund, its how many days short they were. So if the pass for a season was say $500 and they were only open 95 days, they would give a pass holder a credit of $25 (5 days at 5 dollars each) for the next year. Its not a true 'guarantee' but it shows a commitment to their product.

*this actually happened a few seasons ago: they were short a few days and gave a credit for the next season

Beat me to it :)

the 100 day guarantee is figured like this: 1% credit / day less than 100. i.e. 95days of skiing 5% credit--90days of skiing 10% credit

only happened once that I heard of in the last 25 years and I think the credit was like 3%

Rummy

Edit: well, we all said basically the same thing

Edited by rummy