Blue Knob

train36

Has anyone ever rode at Blue Knob? The place I work at is having a trip there for the weekend that I am attending. It is currently closed now because of bad conditions but I am not going until the middle of Feb., so I am not that worried. I want to know how the mt. is, by looking at their trail map they have some tree runs which is odd for PA. Also anyone know how their park is or was, Any info is appreciated, I pretty much don't know anything about the place. :D

Edited by Allian Boarder

I skied at blue knob last year and it was pretty good. But that was on a day when the entire mountain was open. Don?t look for any of the advance trails and slopes to be open for a few more weeks. Really there has to be a big storm to open up the mountain because they are not very aggressive with snow making. But when the mountain is fully open the skiing cant be beat. Blue Knob is considered the Mad River Glen of PA and Extrovert is arguable the hardest slope to ski in the Mid-Atlantic.

Here is a good site with some info and pictures of Blue Knob

Ski Shots - Blue Knob

Sorry AB, that I didn't catch your post sooner. I can only imagine that the Knob was running only minimally last weekend.

Here it is, Friday 1/21 and they still are struggling to get runs open with only 11 going today. Nothing black is open yet (according to the web page).

Two years ago, I held a season pass to the Knob and made about a 15 trips there. Last season, I spent a week at the Knob. For this year's eastern ski week,, I hope to be up at Blue, CB, Montage and two days at Elk. [1/31 thru 2/4]

As Shearer said, Blue Knob rates as a more advanced hill. Although they have a ski school for absolute beginners, and a pretty gentle and broad place for them to learn, once you step up to the next big hill-level, and attempt Upper and Lower Mambo, you'd have to be a pretty courageous beginner. Blue Knob is best for intermediates and above. And when conditions are "great," which is pretty rare, the glades are a blast to cruise through.

The Blue-Black rated Deer Run (one of my favorites there) is broad and pretty steep. It would rate a solid black at the other southern PA resorts (Liberty, Roundtop, Whitetail). Many of the trails are pretty narrow, so you have to be pretty quick in the turn department to negotiate black-rated runs like Stembogen, Lower High Hopes or Lower Shortway. There is a huge bowl to enter Stembogen, which can be a lot of fun, especially if you decide to drop-in early (instead of cruising the trail to the right). Shearer mentioned Extrovert, and to be honest, I'm not sure I'd even be interested in walking down the sides of that run! Its gnarly and you get a good view of it on either of the double lifts that run from the bottom of the hill. When it's open, you'll rarely see anyone make it down without crunching somewhere! No thanks... I've been down everything at the Knob except the double black diamonds. Go for it, kids!

If conditions improve over this next week, I'm hoping to get to the Knob on Friday 1/28.

"Party on Garth!"

VolklYokel

• 1 month later...
I skied at blue knob last year and it was pretty good.  But that was on a day when the entire mountain was open.  Don?t look for any of the advance trails and slopes to be open for a few more weeks.  Really there has to be a big storm to open up the mountain because they are not very aggressive with snow making.  But when the mountain is fully open the skiing cant be beat.  Blue Knob is considered the Mad River Glen of PA and Extrovert is arguable the hardest slope to ski in the Mid-Atlantic.

Here is a good site with some info and pictures of Blue Knob

Ski Shots - Blue Knob

wow, I always wondered what that place looked like. Nice views.

Eventhough barely anything was open when I went it was a good time. The bowl was a lot of fun along with stembogen trail. There was another diamond trail lopen but not sure which one it was. They had a couple nice long cruising runs that were fun. I liked that you could get off the lift halfway up and start off at the top of the diamonds. We had some snow when I went so getting up the road that leads top of the mt. where the lodge is was tough. My only complaint was the lack of trails open and the amount of beginners on the tougher slopes, probably because there was a limited number of trails open at the time. But the scenery there was nice and it is a real good mountain for PA, I would like to get there when it is fully open , or right after a good storm because some of those tree runs looked like a lot of fun.

Edited by Allian Boarder

Has anyone been to 'the knob' in the past two weeks, and can they give a firsthand report of conditions?

I haven't been to the knob lately but from what I understand the conditions couldn't be better. Most of the slopes and glades are open and skiable. I would highly recommend checking it out sometime soon. For a recent first hand report check out this link to a dcski thread. http://www.dcski.com/ubbthreads22/showflat...=0&page=0#14329