What happened to the 2/29 on hill demos?

Old Geezer

I know there are some Elk regulars on here. What happened to the on hill demos on Friday, 2/29? There were no reps anywhere on the mountain, and so no demos to be found. When I picked up some tickets at a local ski shop they said two of their reps were going to be there.

Over the years Elk has had good demo days (for PA and the Mid Atlantic), four a season starting in Early Jan and ending in late Feb/early March, and many different reps present, and usually a good variety of skis to choose from, too. And if you waited for the demos later in the season, you could sometimes try a few of the 'next year's' skis.

But they dropped the ball on this one, two thumbs down to Elk!

I live about 3 minutes away from Elk. I've ridden there since I was 6, trust me its near impossible to get away with woods anymore.

As for Parks at Big Boulder what's wrong with them?

You drive 140 miles round trip instead of four? You must really hate Elk or really love those BB jumps. Man, if you ski/ride just 50 days, that's an extra $1000 in gas. You should be on a BB billboard.

You drive 140 miles round trip instead of four? You must really hate Elk or really love those BB jumps. Man, if you ski/ride just 50 days, that's an extra $1000 in gas. You should be on a BB billboard.

We will say Elk is not #1 on my list anymore and we carpool. I usually make it to Boulder 2-3 times a week, I dont know what the evens out to total days.

/Hate may be a harsh word..strongly disapprove maybe. haha

Edited by brian223r09

We will say Elk is not #1 on my list anymore and we carpool. I usually make it to Boulder 2-3 times a week, I dont know what the evens out to total days.

/Hate may be a harsh word..strongly disapprove maybe. haha

IDK, I'm just thinking there are a crapload of people who'd kill to live three minutes from Elk. You're def BB billboard material, son. :yes Not that it's a bad thing. Just sayin'...

I know there are some Elk regulars on here. What happened to the on hill demos on Friday, 2/29? There were no reps anywhere on the mountain, and so no demos to be found. When I picked up some tickets at a local ski shop they said two of their reps were going to be there.

Over the years Elk has had good demo days (for PA and the Mid Atlantic), four a season starting in Early Jan and ending in late Feb/early March, and many different reps present, and usually a good variety of skis to choose from, too. And if you waited for the demos later in the season, you could sometimes try a few of the 'next year's' skis.

But they dropped the ball on this one, two thumbs down to Elk!

Elk knew going in that their last 2 Winterfest dates wouldn't have demos. The February 1st date was the last day of the SIA Vegas show. I know we sold tickets to that date and clearly advertised that there would be NO demos.

The February 29th date was the last day of the Edison, NJ show.

If all the reps are tied up at shows then they can't be at Elk doing demos.

The only demos left in the region are Shop Employee only demos. If you really want to try next year's gear head to a demo center up north or wait until next December.

Like Doug said... I found a few nice stashes when I was there last year... If you look you will find... and I'm not one that's finds very easily either... I mainly just look for tracks..that go off into the side of a trail and then I say screw it and follow them..... sometimes it leads to really bad things though...scraped bases, and getting stuck in narrow spots... Not neccesarily at Elk, just in general.. There are a few nice woods areas there though

I'm not saying there aren't good glades at Elk, it's just going through the glades without losing your ticket is the trick...ski patrollers troll in hope of ending someones fun powder day in the woods.

Well thats what you get for wearing bright clothing and then giving the patrollers attitude when you get caught.

Ok, I'll be sure to wear camo next time. I do not give the patrollers attitude. They catch you in the woods and your tickets gone it does not matter what you say to them. Numerous season passes have been taken and employees fired also in the past month for glades and inverts also.

Elk knew going in that their last 2 Winterfest dates wouldn't have demos. The February 1st date was the last day of the SIA Vegas show. I know we sold tickets to that date and clearly advertised that there would be NO demos.

The February 29th date was the last day of the Edison, NJ show.

If all the reps are tied up at shows then they can't be at Elk doing demos.

The only demos left in the region are Shop Employee only demos. If you really want to try next year's gear head to a demo center up north or wait until next December.

Interesting, where I picked up tickets no mention of NO demos. Plus, it's still listed on Elk's website as 'On-Hill Demos' for Feb 1 and Feb 29. So if Elk knew going in they misrepresented it on their website.

Memo to Elk mgmt, I had a higher opinion of you before seeing this happen.

One more minor point. Saying all the reps are tied up at a show is glossing over the details of how it really works. I had a close friend who used to to be a part time rep for 12 years here in the Mid Atlantic. Never once did he attend every event nor did the entire team of reps all at once attend an event. I don't buy that explanation, I think something else happened here.

Edited by Old Geezer