Mount Snow Open

KevinThomas

• 2 weeks later...
justin told me 17th, i think. i'm stoked that he made it to the finals! that kid needs better stuff to play on rather than the jumps around here.

uhhhhh....those jumps are very similar to Boulders.. I could not believe how tough KT is, I watched him eat it hard several times in practice. amazing!

thanks for the support guys!!

a little trip report:

The whole weekend was awesome first and foremost. the course was really sick and went as follows:

start gate: huge rainbow or battleship rails option

flat single barrel

rollercoaster flat stock rail

three jump line, clocking in around 55 feet per jump (give or take a few on each)

first jump: step down style

second jump: step down style super poppy lip, hard not to cork

third jump: best jump i've hit all season not quite as step down as the first two w/ a longer landing. super poppy, the thing put you UP

friday i drove up early in the morning to get some practice on the slopestyle course. got there around 1030-11ish and checked in. was real stoked to be hitting some bigger jumps but the wind was playing games all day and at the end of friday i ended up taking what was supposed to be a sw 9 about 20 feet past the first jump's landing and about 270 degrees too much. needless to say i ate shit hard and was done for the day leaving my right knee a little tweaked and my head spinning. if it werent for helmets, i would be concussed no doubt.

i drove about an hour or so north to ludlow to stay with Jake Seiple, a former blue mt freerider. ate some subway, stopped at northern ski works where jake works at, then went back to his place and crashed for the night.

saturday i woke up early to get to mount snow around 8, checked in and went up to the park for another day of practice. the wind was a little sketchy again but i got my speed checks in and started spinning the jumps. about the third run on the last jump a huge gust came uphill on a corked7 and stopped me in the air, leaving me about 5 feet short of the knuckle and i completely double ejected to my face. thanks to papasteeze for cleanin up my yard sale!! haha that was the worst of my woes and from there on it was smooth sailing on the jumps for the rest of the trip. my rents came up that evening to watch the comp on sunday so i checked into the Viking Hotel in wilmington vermont. What a fine establishment it was.

sunday morning i got up super early to get to the mountain for more practice on comp day. upon exiting from the Viking Hotel, i was greeted by about 6 turkeys walking around outside our room. i dont know why they were there but it was epic. got up to mount snow around 745, checked in, got my bib and rolled up to the course. the conditions were awesome. firm lips and landings but no ice in sight. the wind had died down almost completely on the jump line so that helped my confidence a lot. started practicing, speed checks and straight aired all three jumps, then started spinning second run. perfect flow through the line. at about 930 it was time for the open jam qualifiers and i got probably about 6 or 7 runs in which i was stoked on. i felt real good with my runs and thought i had skied pretty well. at 1130 quals were over and the awesome people of the Opens Freeski tour provided us with lunch on the course and were to hand out jerseys to the skiers who made finals. after about 15 or so names got called i heard mine and grabbed my jersey. super super stoked to make finals. rolled up to the top after lunch for two runs through before our finals runs to make sure we had our speed down in case the conditions had changed a little. First run in the finals i played it a little conservative just to make sure i had a run under my belt and went 5 mute to tail, switch 7 nose, switch 9 mute on the jumps with some stock rail tricks up top. i felt real stoked to put down a clean run and second run spun out or switched up the rails up top, corked 9 rev mute, switch 7 nose, to switch 10 mute on the jumps. i was super stoked to have finished both runs clean and just waited for the others to finish up. watching some of the others was so sick, i hope theres video up somewhere soon to show you guys how much skill some of the skiers had and how smooth shit was going down.

after we had all gone awards were on course and the judging kinda seemed a little sketchy, but i ended up 17th overall out of i think 108 or something? this was by far the most fun event i've ever been to. the open jam format was awesome and didnt put as much pressure on the riders in qualifiers. everything ran super smooth throughout the enitre comp and it was definitely one of the top 3 days of skiing for me this year.

It or the series is supposed to be televised at some point. KT who was it? Fox Sports? They are supposed to send an email out when they have a schedule.

yea i think it was Fox Sports Net/Fuel. and yes the dude said that we'd get emails with the tv schedule. i'll post it here once i get it, probably will be on at like 3 in the morning or something haha

Looks like those jumps sent you pretty hard.

they definitely put you up there for sure. it was so nice to not have to try hard to cork out spins and to have time in the air to slow down rotations and get any grab you wanted.

For everyone with experience with big air they loved them!

they were soooo good. the last jump was the best jump i've hit all year park city included.