NEWSFLASH, OUCH: Racechick

skimom

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering if you got a second opinion. I thought surgery on ACL's was going out of style. At least two people I know said it didn't do a bit of good. Mr. Husky has two torn ACL's and can ski, although he doesn't do it much. I would think a brace would help with the racing part.

Skimom, what do your medical contacts say these days about ACL repair?

Just wondering if you got a second opinion.  I thought surgery on ACL's was going out of style.  At least two people I know said it didn't do a bit of good.  Mr. Husky has two torn ACL's and can ski, although he doesn't do it much.  I would think a brace would help with the racing part. 

sib, I thought when it snaps, it curls up, and needs to be reattached? I didn't think you could just let it go....

My dad tore his acl and they reccomended surgery but he refused (typical of him hes very stubborn) so he is just doing physical therapy. My mom had one 4 years ago and at first it didn't seem like it helped but then she said it felt much better. Now every once and awhile she complains about her knee.

Anywho I would also get a second opinion its a good idea.

i've seen three doctors that all say if i would like to continue skiing for the rest of my life i will need the surgery, if anything it is becoming a very common surgery. the guy who is doing mine has been doing one a week sence august or so. if you don't have the surgery done then you will end up with ostioprosis(sp) much earlier. my Aunt has had it done twice and has had great results. My parents thought that for all the activity i do that they would much rather have me have surgery then not. i've delt with the doctor who is doing the surgery a few times before and the or nurse will most likely be my one of my friend's mom.

if you don't have the surgery done then you will end up with ostioprosis(sp) much earlier.

Isn't that like bone loss or something? I would like to see how your ACL and bone loss are connected.

If I were you I would get out of the poconos and get a second (or 4th) opinion...as the people in state college didn't think you tore it.

Then again I do here that the people in teh pconos :wub: (love) to operate and do surgury <_<

My little brother partially tore his ACL a few years ago. Because it was only a partial tear, and he was still growing, the doctors decided to wait until he was finished growing until they operated, and instead put him through lots of physical therapy. This was about 3-4 years ago. He is 17 now and the partial tear has not held him back at all once he completed rehab, and has not needed surgery at all. Of course.... if he was to re-injure it, there would prob be a ton of pain and immediate surgery...

I would definately get a second opinion from a very qualified orthapedic surgeon from philly, or some other urban area, before getting surgery.

My cronies do not believe surgery reduces post ACL osteoporosis. But, no one has shown that osteoporosis has long term consequences in this context anyway (athletes usually have good bone reserve, plus the bone thinning may be temporary). So RC needn't fear that she'll break bones when she's 80. The Phili docs worry more about osteoarthritis. A complete tear v. partial and associated knee injuries - meniscus damage, fractures, etc., are important in determining the likelihood of arthritis. Most active athletes with complete tears opt for surgery because the knee is unstable :o and this will cause arthritis and joint degeneration over time. With lesser injuries the jury is out - IMHO, it's wisest to look at the specifics of each case from all angles and individualize treatment.

I'm thinking RC's is partial because it usually doesn't take four docs to diagnose a complete tear...

it's riped right in half. the first doctor said the ACL was damaged. the 2nd doctor confirmed it was riped in half, the 3rd doctor is the one doing the operation and he also confirmed that it was not fluid in the knee and that in fact the ACL was totaly torn in two.

Ouch, you must be in agony. :o With a complete tear, and the availability of new, improved techniques, I'd operate if I was an active kiddo ...

Hey, it must be a cool MRI. Did you get a copy -? As the patient, you are entitled to a copy of your images.

it's riped right in half. the first doctor said the ACL was damaged. the 2nd doctor confirmed it was riped in half, the 3rd doctor is the one doing the operation and he also confirmed that it was not fluid in the knee and that in fact the ACL was totaly torn in two.

Have the operation, take all the sympathy and try not to think too much about the rest of this season.

Hope you have a speedy and full recovery, and please post the MRI pic's if you get them.... :yes

the MRI pics are awsome....i'm thinkabout framing one....hehe

the pain killers are working wonderfully so it's not that painful, and the doctor said that after the frist week almost all pain susides so.....now the pain killers are for the swelling that isn't going down to fast....they are slightly worried about that

definetely get the surgery. most of the times. after surgery the ligament is stronger then before and the risk of tearing it again is slim to none. It's a very very rare occurence to have a previous torn ACL that you've had surgery on get torn again. this is mainly because of the advances in the technology and surgery.

well they are college football lineman and that is a high impact activity. but i do know they always wore there braces 24/7. but football is way more intense on your knee. and o yeah racerchick i dont know if this is a knee brace but i do know that motocross riders wear them that have had knee problems in the past. but yeah im not even sure if they are what your looking for.

http://www.asterisk.com/