New Purchases... What did you buy so far

phillycore

Yup that's all pretty generally true. In most cases (I'm looking at you, K2...), the "center" line on the ski will put the middle of your foot over the narrow point of the ski, which theoretically centers you over the sidecut. Obviously this point can vary pretty greatly from one ski to the next. @AtomicSkier's Kastle FXs might be around -10cm from true center, whereas my ON3Ps are about 4cm back from true center. Those two skis have very different sidecut designs and intentions as a ski. If you ski with a more upright, neutral stance, you can generally push the mount point of a ski farther forward. If you really like to drive a ski through the shovel, you might want to move it back. That point also gives you reference as to where the ski is thickest. While you can stray from that point in either direction, you don't want to start flirting with putting screws into the ski where the core starts to thin out, if you can avoid it. Basically, it's a reference point that's going to work well enough for 99% of people. Exceptions include people skiing a lot of park laps, sliding rails, spinning, etc, or people who are very in tune with how they ski and how that plays with the shape and construction of the ski they're on and how they might want to alter that mount point to get the most out of their given ski. Happy to dive deeper on this if you've got a specific pair of skis in mind.

• Like 3

can't really find too much info about the specifics of that ski, but you can definitely measure the length of the ski, find true center, then measure that to the recommended mount point to get an idea of the offset. I'd guess it's gonna be in the -4cm to -6cm range, based on lib's stuff seeming pretty freestyle/freeride oriented. Ultimately, they're just skis. If you don't know exactly what you're looking to get out of deviating from the standard mount point, you're just chasing a white whale for the sake of trying something different, and it may not end up working how you want.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, mbike-ski said:

reminds me of the old days before we all cell phones using the motorola radios for family  camping and ski trips

image.thumb.png.d7257bccb03a3fe8a678f1aa21354edb.png

My parents definitely have a set of those laying around collecting dust somewhere in their house. I should try and find them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barb said:

https://rockytalkie.com/products/rocky-talkie

My friends and I all decided to buy these radios after the mishap over the weekend. Made by some Colorado locals and have really good reviews. Should come in time for my Grand Canyon trip so gonna test them out there. 

I’m guessing no cell phone coverage some places you are.  Reminds me of life alert, the I’m falling and I can’t get up.  

36029BC4-C508-4ED6-8DB3-BBD2B0128D46.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Not only no cell service but the time it takes to take off a glove, get your phone out and text or call. Plus there is a strong likelihood the person won’t even hear their phone because it is in a pocket. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2021 at 4:26 PM, Mixilplix said:

I thought about a Garmin InReach Mini or a ZOLEO Satellite communicator for when I go hiking in case thing turn bad...

I bought the Garmin inReach mini and am very happy with it. The battery lasts forever and it gets coverage everywhere. I do almost everything alone and it's less worrying to have one. It was a bit unnerving seeing the missing hiker posters in 2019 when I hiked 13 miles alone in Glacier National Park. A minor injury can easily turn fatal if you're far from civilization with no cell service. And unless you're doing hardcore camping or backcountry, all you need is the cheapest plan.

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, saltyant said:

I bought the Garmin inReach mini and am very happy with it. The battery lasts forever and it gets coverage everywhere. I do almost everything alone and it's less worrying to have one. It was a bit unnerving seeing the missing hiker posters in 2019 when I hiked 13 miles alone in Glacier National Park. A minor injury can easily turn fatal if you're far from civilization with no cell service. And unless you're doing hardcore camping or backcountry, all you need is the cheapest plan.

Is that a satellite phone?

4 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Is that a satellite phone?

Correct but you cant make calls on it. It shows my location to family every 10 minutes and can text thru da satellites. I brought it with me while skiing in Utah since it's very small and fits easily in my pocket

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Correct but you cant make calls on it. It shows my location to family every 10 minutes and can text thru da satellites. I brought it with me while skiing in Utah since it's very small and fits easily in my pocket

Wow and I don’t want my family to know where I am. They bug me enough.  

I worked with a guy whose wife tracked him using "find my iphone" and she was always giving him a hard time.  One time he had to go to the pet store at lunch and his wife questioned him hard core like he was having an affair or something.  I remember hearing him say "Bitch I'm trying to buy some fish food, give me some space!".  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, NMSKI said:

I worked with a guy whose wife tracked him using "find my iphone" and she was always giving him a hard time.  One time he had to go to the pet store at lunch and his wife questioned him hard core like he was having an affair or something.  I remember hearing him say "Bitch I'm trying to buy some fish food, give me some space!".  

He should have divorced her. 

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Wow and I don’t want my family to know where I am. They bug me enough.  

I only use it in case of emergencies when I'm alone in the wilderness of McAdoo or on my bike in bumfuck nowhere. 

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 2

My last trip to the High Peaks in the Daks is when I thought it might be nice to have one....not only for weather but climbing down Saddleback mt. in windy sleeting weather was one of the scariest times I've had on a trail.....If I slipped and fell it would have been some time before someone found me...

• Like 1

My last trip to the High Peaks in the Daks is when I thought it might be nice to have one....not only for weather but climbing down Saddleback mt. in windy sleeting weather was one of the scariest times I've had on a trail.....If I slipped and fell it would have been some time before someone found me...

Damn.

Side note but somewhat related. I've been thinking about doing a summer trip in the high peaks. I want to hike Marcy. Actually I want to hike Algonquin but Marcy seems like a better place to start. I'm not a baller on the hiking trails like I am on the ski trails.