New Purchases... What did you buy so far

phillycore

On 3/11/2021 at 5:21 PM, RidgeRacer said:

Damn.

Side note but somewhat related. I've been thinking about doing a summer trip in the high peaks. I want to hike Marcy. Actually I want to hike Algonquin but Marcy seems like a better place to start. I'm not a baller on the hiking trails like I am on the ski trails.

Algonquin has far less approach I think and is fast to get up where I think Marcy feels alot slower and much more gradual trail. You can also easy get Iroquois and their is one on the way but it's been awhile since I looked at a map and could be way off. 

• Like 1

Algonquin has far less approach I think and is fast to get up where I think Marcy feels alot slower and much more gradual trail. You can also easy get Iroquois and their is one on the way but it's been awhile since I looked at a map and could be way off. 

Is it worth hiking Algonquin over Marcy or vice versa (better view etc.) I feel like a leisurely stroll to the highest point in the high peaks is a win but I'm intrigued by Algonquin as it's more centered I feel like the views may be better from there.

5 hours ago, RidgeRacer said:

Is it worth hiking Algonquin over Marcy or vice versa (better view etc.) I feel like a leisurely stroll to the highest point in the high peaks is a win but I'm intrigued by Algonquin as it's more centered I feel like the views may be better from there.

Marcy I've always had bad luck trying to ski it so I'm a little biased maybe but the views are better and it's definitely the classic but Algonquin is more straight up and down kinda interesting and more rocky sort of half climbing but go Marcy first if you have the time for sure. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RidgeRacer said:

Marcy is a popular spot so take that into consideration....not only the peak but the trail itself...If you are interested in other hikes...This isn't a bad one..Trail head is in Saint Huberts area...Hike the road to Lower Ausable lake...take the short trail to check out Rainbow falls then hike up to Pyramid Peak..short hike over to Gothics...you can loop back down to the road...Some outstanding veiws..

The view from Pyramid peak

20201007_081654.thumb.jpg.373b28c94c725f715e2cb8049bf36f54.jpg

Edited by Mixilplix
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
20 minutes ago, Schif said:

The year I bought a fresh new shovel it didn't snow. Just saying....

Ya that’s how these things tend to work lol.  I’m trying to mentally accept that I can’t take the risks driving to blue in snow this season like I did last season as my tires won’t be brand new.  There were multiple days I couldn’t believe I made it up the mountain

18 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

Ya that’s how these things tend to work lol.  I’m trying to mentally accept that I can’t take the risks driving to blue in snow this season like I did last season as my tires won’t be brand new.  There were multiple days I couldn’t believe I made it up the mountain

how much longer would it take to go up 476 to 209 (exit 74) and arrive on the valley side of the mtn, as opposed to trying to make it up to the top coming from LV?

23 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

Get snow tires if it bothers you...what do you have 15-20k miles on the tires..shouldn’t matter. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

5 minutes ago, Benm said:

how much longer would it take to go up 476 to 209 (exit 74) and arrive on the valley side of the mtn, as opposed to trying to make it up to the top coming from LV?

1 minute ago, theprogram4 said:

That is certainly an option that I don’t believe is more than a few minutes longer

When I go up for night skiing, this is the way I go to avoid traffic on 22.  It's almost exactly the same amount of time for me.  Only reason I take the lehigh valley exit on weekends is in case I need to stop and pee or get gas since there are more places to stop along the way.  

1 minute ago, NMSKI said:

When I go up for night skiing, this is the way I go to avoid traffic on 22.  It's almost exactly the same amount of time for me.  Only reason I take the lehigh valley exit on weekends is in case I need to stop and pee or get gas since there are more places to stop along the way.  

Let me know if you’re gonna night ski again this season and I’ll meet you up there.  Been a few years. 

• Like 1