Positives about CB?

mtnbiker99x

There always seems to be a lot of complaints about CB on the message board. Maybe someone can post something positive about CB and offer some constructive criticism where they can improve on things they don't like. (just don't post any more ranger hate-enough of those threads below--lol)

I'll add some of my stuff first:

Terrain parks compared to most mountains in area CB's park is smaller and contains less stuff than most. It would be nice to have 3rd terrain park or bigger one.

There are tons of beginners and others who should not be in the parks and it agitates the better riders & skiers. It happens at a lot of mountains not just CB, I was at Blue today and the lower terrain park was a zoo with tons of beginners in that park. Their more advanced terrain park still had beginners in there just not as many. Something needs to be done, but what?

CB's half pipe is better than last year. I was told its angles and was widened slightly. Friends of mine who ride in there actually were complementing CB on a decent 1/2 pipe this year.

Even though food in the lodge is expensive (most ski are food is) the lodge food at CB is pretty good. The daily specials are usually not bad. Just wish CB would have some lettuce, pickles, onions, and tomatoes to dress up my burger. If there is stuff there to fix your burger with where is it?

I'll add some more stuff later just wanting to see where this thread leads first.

There always seems to be a lot of complaints about CB on the message board. Maybe someone can post something positive about CB and offer some constructive criticism where they can improve on things they don't like. (just don't post any more ranger hate-enough of those threads below--lol)

I'll add some of my stuff first:

Terrain parks compared to most mountains in area CB's park is smaller and contains less stuff than most. It would be nice to have 3rd terrain park or bigger one.

There are tons of beginners and others who should not be in the parks and it agitates the better riders & skiers. It happens at a lot of mountains not just CB, I was at Blue today and the lower terrain park was a zoo with tons of beginners in that park. Their more advanced terrain park still had beginners in there just not as many. Something needs to be done, but what?

CB's half pipe is better than last year. I was told its angles and was widened slightly. Friends of mine who ride in there actually were complementing CB on a decent 1/2 pipe this year.

Even though food in the lodge is expensive (most ski are food is) the lodge food at CB is pretty good. The daily specials are usually not bad. Just wish CB would have some lettuce, pickles, onions, and tomatoes to dress up my burger. If there is stuff there to fix your burger with where is it?

I'll add some more stuff later just wanting to see where this thread leads first.

As far as the park goes, I don't even care that it's not super huge. Just build it right. Make the jump porportional to the landings. Better yet have landings. Put rails on tables. Change the way to enter the parks. They seem pretty permanant, get wider openings and not that net garbage. It just adds to the mess of everyone sitting around.

This is a thread to talk about good things so here goes. As much as everyone grips about crowds, CB has WAY more people skiing riding there, than any other area around here. They deal nicely considering how large the crowds are they deal with. Because the mountain is wide, even on a busy day, the crowds are dispersed among the trails, and you can find empty ones if you choose to. I think the grooming of the trails is very good at CB, I only wish they would do mid-day grooming. I like the walk on parking by the stevenson, though if you don't have a car/season pass, that doesn't help you. I like that hot ski patrol chic I saw last night, if anyone has a name, that would be clutch. They have some cool natural features if you know where to look.

1. Two high speed quads

2. Generally nice employees

3. NASTAR

4. Some excellent instructors and coaches

5. Mark Bowers (though he's out of commission this season :( )

6. Good cheeseburgers (when the outside grill is on)

7. Free hygiene products in the ladies room (sometimes)

8. Easy access from Phili

9. Good quality snowmaking

10. Two high speed quads

11. Two high speed quads

12. Two high speed quads

1)Quads

2)They are the only poc mtn i know of with a messege board, a crappy one, but they have one.

3)They dont charge you for salad dressing in the caf. so when you absolutely need a few more packs of ranch dressing for your pizza its there for free.

4)The Bra Tree

lol, great points, Jib. :rofl I forgot all about their ranch dressing. Skidude puts packs of it on his fries. And, CB has one of the nicest bra trees anywhere.

Sib, he had an operation on his hand for something, and maybe something else.

They are not miles and miles off the interstate.

They have a pretty good variety of trails.

They have great grooming and manage their snow well.

You can always find a lift with a short line if you look.

Even at 2 PM there are runs that are not a straight sheet of ice (although Birches and Honeymoon are SO BAD by then they should be re-rated as blacks.)

They have a great deck and plenty of choices about where to eat. (The Glen Lodge is GREAT!) They have really smoke-free eating areas (unlike Blue the last time I was there...the smoke is unavoidable!)

There are plenty of ladies rooms without lines if you know where to go.

Don't know hwy everyone has the problems with smoke at blue, I have never noticed smoke in their lodge, top or bottom.

Yea, i don't know either, I always sit on the nonsmoking side anyway, but when I have sat on the smoking side, I never smell it, at all. Maybe the smokers club of america was at blue that day?

The one thing I will give Camelback, and this is probably the ONLY thing, they have two quads. Though it is convient, it does put more people on the trails.

They have a great deck and plenty of choices about where to eat.  (The Glen Lodge is GREAT!)  They have really smoke-free eating areas (unlike Blue the last time I was there...the smoke is unavoidable!)

When I was out in Telluride, Colorado they have a couple of smoke free bars and it was real nice. While in the smoke free bars your eyes don't burn (as a non-smoker) and when you get back to the hotel you don't smell like an ash tray.

Its probably a little too cutting edge for around here but it would be really nice to have a smoke free bar.

In Colorado the smoke free bars were busier than the smoking bars.

As a new(ish) and improving boarder with a young daughter also learning I would add the following positive points about CB:

1) Nice variety of trails, it seems like many more than Blue or Shawnee and as someone else mentioned the hill is wide so you can usually find quiet areas.

2) Good snowmaking and (initial) grooming, I dont even really care about them not re-grooming during the day as the bumpy bits can be entertaining later in the day. They should monitor some of the more heavy traffic trails (like Birches, Marc Anth. etc) and maybe re-groom these when the cover gets very thin / icy.

3) Nice ski-patrol / medic types, they are always complimenting my daughter on her smooth style, which does wonders for her confidence.

4) It's 4 miles from my house

5) "ride-up" parking at the sunbowl and easy access to the quad by Pharaoh.

6) The board service shop is excellent, they cleaned up my board soooo nicely.

Overall, if you live close, have a season pass and can time your visits to get the most quiet times (before 10 and after 6, or weekdays), it's a real nice ski area (by PA standards). If you can only come on weekends and holidays, can't arrive before 10.30, have to queue for tickets, or worse rentals or have to eat in the main lodge then I don't doubt that you will not come away happy.

How Exactly would one go about creating a bra tree? I think Montage needs one.  :P

Find a section of tree's real close to the lift. Buy lots of bras/panties/etc, and throw them into the tree. Once you get a dozen or so, I think everyone else picks up on it. The key is finding the right location.

You don't "buy" them. That offends the snow gods. You have to talk females into making a donation or sacrifice if you would. This ensures snow. The snow gods know phony when they see it.

How Exactly would one go about creating a bra tree? I think Montage needs one.  :P

M'ville is correct. Bra trees are a sacrifice to the snow gods. Ideally the garments are removed by someone of the opposite gender, while riding up the lift. It's considered bad form to purchase cut-rate products just to throw on the tree.

Discarding undergarments is out of my budget, plus I'm a skimom. But, I bet ski999 and some of the other guys have some stories to tell here... :naughty

CB does offer many great things:

1. Nile Mile

2. Free Shuttle

3. Glen lodge

4. 2 high speed quads

5. Camelcards

6. Ski in/out condos

7. Nice base area

8. Beach party

9. Close to Barley Creek (Nice place for a quick drink on the way home)

10. Close to the outlets (Nice place for my pregnant wife to spend money while I snowboard)

11. Convenient location to the Lake Harmony area

yea i definetely think cb has probably the nicest pipe in the area now. the quads are great, and they have a wide variety of trails.

one thing i think they could do to make it better would be to add a little more variet to their terrain parks. just a few new rails in different shapes would make it a lot better

I've heard several people now say that camelback has a good "variety" of trails. No. While it may seem like they have MORE trails, they do NOT have more variety. Blue Mountain has a variety of trails, from dead straight trails right down the fall line, to winding trails, to mile long blue square cruisers that hold the same pitch, to the 6400 foot paradise, to Swithback, which is an amazing trail. That's variety. :D

I'm a blue whore, what can i say?

I've heard several people now say that camelback has a good "variety" of trails.  No.  While it may seem like they have MORE trails, they do NOT have more variety.  Blue Mountain has a variety of trails, from dead straight trails right down the fall line, to winding trails, to mile long blue square cruisers that hold the same pitch, to the 6400 foot paradise, to Swithback, which is an amazing trail.  That's variety. :D

I'm a blue whore, what can i say?

A Blue Ho' indeed....

Whilst I really like Blue, and would agree it has some amazing trails, it doesn't feel like it has even close to as many as CB.

I forgot to add Cameltop to my list of likes, especially when you can sit out on the deck. :D

I definitaly noteced that the pipe is better this year than I have ever seen it. They Don't have a huge variety of trails by looking at dificulty but there are a lot of different way to get down the mountain. That is especily nice when you are there for a while. The Quads are nice and cameltop Is the best place to warm up (I don't actualy eat at the mountain) especaly the loft. It's usualy empty and it keeps you away from the tourest. I also like the secluded trails in the middle of the mountan. They always seem to be in good condition and there is usualy no one on them. They make for realy nice crusing runs.