snow at ELK

rummy

:D Of course Elk could open first because of their elevation and Northern Pa location. I think it would be cool but really does not make sense. It is still only October in PA!! Elk has one of the longest seasons consistenly in pa. Opening in November is just a marketing strategy. If you want plenty of terrain and good snow conditions, anything short of December is not realistic in Pa. Yeah, its nice to make a turn in November on 1 trail of crud. In pa, just a waste of money and time. Most VT mountains don't really get going until Thanksgiving. In PA, no way. In an early winter, which would be awesome, anything short of late November is not sensible for good conditions. A few jumps in a park is different. Regardless this early snow is awesome, lets hope for more!

:D Of course Elk could open first because of their elevation and Northern Pa location. I think it would be cool but really does not make sense. It is still only October in PA!! Elk has one of the longest seasons consistenly in pa. Opening in November is just a marketing strategy. If you want plenty of terrain and good snow conditions, anything short of December is not realistic in Pa. Yeah, its nice to make a turn in November on 1 trail of crud. In pa, just a waste of money and time. Most VT mountains don't really get going until Thanksgiving. In PA, no way. In an early winter, which would be awesome, anything short of late November is not sensible for good conditions. A few jumps in a park is different. Regardless this early snow is awesome, lets hope for more!

What are you talking about. Boulder has the longest season for several years now. Fairly certain it has a higher elevation as well.

Take it back, Elk has more elevation.

What are you talking about. Boulder has the longest season for several years now. Fairly certain it has a higher elevation as well.

Take it back, Elk has more elevation.

I'm bored so I went on google earth and compiled a quick list of elevations for all the mountains around here for the record:

Sno- Summit: 1949 Base: 935

Boulder- Summit: 2170 Base: 1783

Frost- Summit: 1967 Base: 1456

Elk- Summit: 2660 Base: 1820

CB- Summit: 2035 Base: 1245

Blue- Summit: 1497 Base: 458

2660 - 1820 = 840.

I've often wondered how Elk got to their claim of 1000 vertical feet. If you hike to the top with a GPS it will tell you something similar, total vertical on the 820 to 840 range.

Maybe they count the very peak/summit were the radio towers are, down to the lowest spot in the lower parking lot. If they did, they wouldn't be the only ones.

2660 - 1820 = 840.

I've often wondered how Elk got to their claim of 1000 vertical feet. If you hike to the top with a GPS it will tell you something similar, total vertical on the 820 to 840 range.

Maybe they count the very peak/summit were the radio towers are, down to the lowest spot in the lower parking lot. If they did, they wouldn't be the only ones.

In years' past, they used to start a PA championship (?) downhill race from the top of the hill above the ski patrol shack at the top. And, I think the 1000' is calculated to the parking lot lift and not the base area.

In years' past, they used to start a PA championship (?) downhill race from the top of the hill above the ski patrol shack at the top. And, I think the 1000' is calculated to the parking lot lift and not the base area.

I don't see how they get 160 extra feet out of that small hilltop above the ski patrol shack. It's maybe 40 feet at best.

Like I said, I hiked it once with a GPS, from patrol shack to to base of the parking lot lift, and I never got 1000' difference. Only got in elevation differences in the 820-840 range.