Questions

Glenn

Scenario:

I've got some packed out boots, that I really like.

I've got an all mountain board I like, but it has a rail that pulling out, and a base that's shot due to neglect on my part. I'm told a base grind may save it.

I've got enough money to replace the boots or replace the board. I will likely have more money later. That may go to repair, or new equipment depending on how much I get. Figuring on $200-$400 for either the boots or the board. If you guys have tips on how to get cheap boots that I can try before I buy, I'm more than open for ideas. Not trying to do the BC.com thing for boots, because I'm lazy and already have a pile of stuff I haven't sent back.

I've never put inserts in my boots. Will this close up some of the packed out space, or is it just for a better fit when the boot is new.

Shop guys, whats the story on repairs to rails when it's pulling away on the sidewall side of things?

Just trying to make some smart choices with my money, and I trust you guys.

I'm also very interested about any solutions to packed out boots. I LOVE my boots, and would really like to keep riding them.

Glenn, I feel like if you can cheaply fix the board that the boots would be where you should spend the money. Then if more money comes in you can replace the board as well. Are you looking for any boots or boards in particular. With so many shops out here in Boulder I could keep an eye out for good deals for you, and then you could swing through on your way to WP. I'd even be willing to possibly front some money to help out if you wanted to jump on a good deal. Then you could get me back later, or whatever.

i was talking to both justo and kevin who work at Nestor's about my boots. this will be my 3rd season on them and i dont want to get rid of them because i like them so much, and they said that you can get inserts for them so they fit snug again. so thats the route that i'm taking with my boots that packed out. when it comes to the edge ripping out of the board... i wouldnt even want to fix that and i would just buy a new board, but i dont know much about that...

i was talking to both justo and kevin who work at Nestor's about my boots. this will be my 3rd season on them and i dont want to get rid of them because i like them so much, and they said that you can get inserts for them so they fit snug again. so thats the route that i'm taking with my boots that packed out. when it comes to the edge ripping out of the board... i wouldnt even want to fix that and i would just buy a new board, but i dont know much about that...

links/brands/recommendations on those inserts?

Also there is a Burton Custom 158 for sale in the classifieds for 50 bucks:

http://www.paskiandride.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11864

Looks like Zaldon picked up the t6 that had 50-60 days on it and it was delivered in good condition. The Custom is only rocking about 40 days, so it seems like it must be in decent shape. My Custom has been treating me well. 50 bucks might be a good investment even if it only lasts a season.

As Nick said, definately spend the money on the boots. You can always fix a board, it is just a question of how close it will be back to normal. I have a board where the rail ripped out over a 4" stretch and it was unrepairable, so I cut the rail out and just ptexed a filler. (it is kind of like a dom slick now actually), At the other end, a minor pull can be put back so that you would never know. Depends on how bad it is.

For the boots, they are only going to get worse. Once they pack out, there is really no going back. Inserts are a mixed bag. The idea behind most inserts is to have a hard arch under your foot for more support. Compared to the usual felt ones that come with boots, this pulls your toes back because obviously now your foot is going over the arch instead of a straight line. This is often the solution for people who have ski boots that are a bit too tight lengthwise, but have room height wise. For you, if it is packed out you have the opposite problem, too much length in the boot. Raising your arch will only make it worse, except that the top of your foot is now jammed into the bottom of the roof of your boot. This might help keep your foot in place for a time but it is not comfortable (and generally you don't even get much pressure out of it to hold you anyway), and the boot isn't meant to work that way so it will pack out quickly.

An insert won't hurt, but it will not do much to solve your problem long term. I ride with inserts 100% of the time. I had the $30 plastic preform ones your trim (super feet?) and now I have some other $50 ones that are more adjustable, don't even remember the name, but they are no better. Don't go for the expensive cork ones unless you really need to for some specific reason, the cheap plastic ones make a world of difference and if you buy them now, you might get a few more days out of the boots plus you can put them in all of your future boots.

But truthfully for the amount you ride and the way you ride, you are going to have to buy new boots eventually so why not sooner than later?

Edited by Method9455

If you love the boots, but your liners are packed out, get a set of Intuition liners. You'll need footbeds with these as well. They are on the pricey side, but well worth it.

liners are expensive, and you could most likely get a new boot for a little more than just the liners/footbeds. Intuition's arent any good unless you have someone mold them, and mold them right. tough call, but it might be easier just to pick up a new set of boots, or like toast and dan said, dial em in w/ some aftermarket fitting tools that your local shop could most likely help you out with.