No Early Opening Here

Ride Delaware ?

I just called to see when their tentative opening date is, and the lady told me depending on the weather (don't know if shes been outside or not lately) early to mid-december... I didn't think to ask if they were making snow, but I should have... Can anybody shed some light on that?

I just called to see when their tentative opening date is, and the lady told me depending on the weather (don't know if shes been outside or not lately) early to mid-december... I didn't think to ask if they were making snow, but I should have... Can anybody shed some light on that?

Elk generally does not aim to be open early. I think they are a low key operation. They've been one of the later ones to open over the last few years, but apparently great mid season. I'm looking forward to hitting Elk for the first time this year.

I love Elk, thats why I called them... Its a great day destination, but its in the middle of nowhere... However, they have the highest elevation in PA and are the farthest north... If anyone should be making snow for an opening, it should be them... Most of their trails are pretty wide and take alot of snow... Granted they dont have the most powerful snowmaking system, but they could make it happen by next week if they wanted too...

I think the reason they don't push it is because they get special electric rates from PPL starting Dec 1st. It costs big bucks to run the compressors. Also, anybody look at the long-range weather forecast for Thanksgiving???---heavy duty rain is showing up on the models now. Sorry to say.

:angry: I have no idea about the rates from PPL,but I'm sure you are right. But I have seen Elk blow snow Thanksgiving week many years in the past, which is obviously before December 1. I have a hard time believing they can't build a nice base on several trails in the next week if they want to. Even a cold rain will not wipe that out. Every other mountain is making snow, I think Elk should also. Even though I won't be able to ski until mid december. I'm sure alot of others who pay $650 for a season pass would love to ski Thanksgiving week. I love Elk, but with a long cold snap like this, I am surprised that they are not making snow.

I too am a little angry if they are indeed not even attempting to blow a little snow. Its almost positive that they wont open before december, as most of their staff is not on until then, and I don't see them changing it. But my god, its only 20 some deg there, just blow a bunch of huge piles and let them sit there, its not like they have never done that before. I remember a thanksgiving a few years ago when they had so much snow made, into piles, that you could have skied top to bottom even before they groomed everything out. Over the last few years they really have gotten better with snow making, as far as actually making around the clock and on more than one trail, it would be a shame if they got cheap now. (I have heard they are special rates with ppl for certain times and months, but its not like they havnt blown snow in november before.)

I really hope they take advantage of this weather, but really wouldnt be that shocked if they didnt. However, you never know with them, the last few years they havnt even said anything or shown any snow making pictures till like a week before they open, so who knows.