Where'd all the alpine boards go?

backcountry_rider

I remember I used to see guys rocking alpine decks all the time back home...right up until about 04 (give or take a year or so). Where'd they all go? You can't even buy an alpine deck anymore unless you want a custom race board for about a grand...

They used to have a few of those halfass burton factory primes for demo every now and then--they were a blast to ride. So what happened, did I miss something? Was there a sport-wide agreement to just stop hard boot carving?

It's a real pain in the ass to not be able to find these for demo anywhere...let alone for sale...anymore. I'd love to get my hands on a setup.

Shit, if you can buy a teleboard you should be able to find an alpine setup.

Burton and Rossi both used to have sections on their sites exclusively for race boards. Both companies have done away with their lines now. I realize that the public image of the sport has evolved over the years. I remember reading in snowboardLIFE (anyone remember that before transworld went ass-spelunking through it's pages?) about the differences between pro freestyle riding and alpine riding.

Nowadays everyone wants a 28" stance and a pink jacket, according to pop culture...

I love my old rossi freeride board, your right, I can barely find directional boards let alone a real alpine board but I guess they wouldn't sell real alpine boards in an area where you wouldn't find that kind of riding. (Scranton)

2 weeks ago I saw a guy in the lift line, he had hard boots, a crazy foward stance and an old burton race board, I asked him how old it was and he said he bought it used back in 93! it was a sick board...

I remember I used to see guys rocking alpine decks all the time back home...right up until about 04 (give or take a year or so). Where'd they all go?

Alive and well at Blue! We are usually out first thing Sat & Sun. You are more than welcome to ride with us anytime. Hard, soft or (oh no) skis.

And yes there is a lot of alpine gear out there you just have to know where to look. I have people ask me all the time "How old is that oldschool snowboard".... Brand new this season.

Carve on!

Jesse

• 3 weeks later...

I don't even know man, this is the item description

You are bidding on a used Burton Alp 171 snowboard, hand made in Austria. This board was waxed and sharpened two weeks ago and I only used it once.

There are a few scratches on the bottom but they have all been filled and waxed. There are also a few chips on the tail but nothing too bad. Other than those few cosmetic details, the base is in good shape.

I'd keep the board but I need the money for my trip to colorado!

Happy bidding and feel free to ask me any questions!

f3d1_1.JPG

Ok so its a burton alp, doesn't seem like it was the greatest deal, but the guy needed the money for a trip, o well, I did a little research and I guess its a 98-99 model, Like I said even if it sucks it would still make a sick decoration. Look at it! its like a big ski! Now I have to figure out what bindings to use, I have a pair of ride delta's laying around but I also have a pair of flow pro's my brother doesn't use, they may be stiffer than the ride's. I guess I'll have to make it legit and mount them way forward.

Regardless, It should be a good time, If anyone wants to try it out there welcome to once I get it all set up. You'll have to go to Sno though.

Does anyone know how alpine boards handle the bumps? or are they just meant for hard core carving.

I bought it, $150 on ebay... if it sucks It'll be a sick decoration.

Nice...I'm so damn jealous now. I've been scoping out some donek boards for next season. You should definitely ride hard boots with it; I remember asking a couple guys back home about it. The one had an oxygen and said he tried softies with it...they worked, but the hard boots make a huge difference.

I don't know if I would use it enough to want hard boots.

See I like to do a little of everything, when I get up there I ski for an hour, than strap on the board, hit up the park for a while, if the snow conditions are great i'll bring the freeride board and tear up the mountain, the only time i'd use this board would be if I could get up early on a sunday morning. so... If I could get bindings for my ski boots, MAYBE, but i'm not going out and buying hard boots, unless I really really like how this board rides.

I looked at the hard boots and they look quite a bit different than ski boots, the toe and heal on the hard boots are tapered and ski boots are not, maybe there not all like that, I'll look into it though on those websites

8c29_1.JPG

Dalbello-Krypton-IL-Moro.jpg

I looked at the hard boots and they look quite a bit different than ski boots, the toe and heal on the hard boots are tapered and ski boots are not, maybe there not all like that, I'll look into it though on those websites

Dalbello-Krypton-IL-Moro.jpg

Snowboard hardboots are different from ski boots. They are overall softer than ski boots, but still allow good lateral support. Alpine snowboarding you want your ankles to flex from toe to heel, but want less movement side to side. I would not recommend riding an alpine deck with soft boots if you have to ride angles over 45 degrees. Over 45 you take most of the mechanical advantage of the highback out of play and put it on the boot. Then you might end up folding the boot (not a fun, I know).

You can ride plate bindings (bail only, not step-in) with ski boots, a lot of world cup alpine riders use ski boots. They like the feel of a stiff boot with a softer binding interface. I've been teaching a skier to (alpine) snowboard this winter in his ski boots. He has picked up hardbooting way faster than I had thought possible. I say go for it! Just make sure set up the bindings before you go to the hill and do a lot of carpet surfing at home. You need to feel ultra comfortable on the board because ski boots will give you less movement snowboard boots. So your alignment needs to be right on.

Carve on!

Snowboard hardboots are different from ski boots. They are overall softer than ski boots, but still allow good lateral support. Alpine snowboarding you want your ankles to flex from toe to heel, but want less movement side to side. I would not recommend riding an alpine deck with soft boots if you have to ride angles over 45 degrees. Over 45 you take most of the mechanical advantage of the highback out of play and put it on the boot. Then you might end up folding the boot (not a fun, I know).

You can ride plate bindings (bail only, not step-in) with ski boots, a lot of world cup alpine riders use ski boots. They like the feel of a stiff boot with a softer binding interface. I've been teaching a skier to (alpine) snowboard this winter in his ski boots. He has picked up hardbooting way faster than I had thought possible. I say go for it! Just make sure set up the bindings before you go to the hill and do a lot of carpet surfing at home. You need to feel ultra comfortable on the board because ski boots will give you less movement snowboard boots. So your alignment needs to be right on.

Carve on!

thought i saw you ripping up Blue today on your board but i guess it wasnt since you were posting this while i was up there. nevermind then.