unfamiliar with trails WHATS WIDE at BLUE

Robert2

This sort of goes along the line of what ROOTDKJ was talking to Barb about.

I don't do narrow steep black diamonds but I do go VERY fast.

So when I go to Blue Mountain and I find a wide open hill that is marked beginner or

intermediate GREEN or BLUE I don't think GREEN or BLUE means BE A TRAIL WHORE and slipslide back and forth real slow across the whole hill using up every square inch of the hill.

I look it and pick the width of a sidewalk to shoot down the hill.

So what hills at Blue are most like Jack Frost Lehigh or Exhibition that has wide long

open space and NO black diamond headwalls, narrow shoots, or blind turns........

that SP won't kick me out for riding like I ride on Lehigh at JF.

ROOT said:

To make a really long story short, we talked for about 40 minutes, me giving up some nice vert. She basically explained to me she gets 50-60 emails about people getting hit (or near misses) on Paradise/Burma, and what would I do in her shoes.

So what hills at Blue are most like Jack Frost Lehigh or Exhibition that has wide long

open space and NO black diamond headwalls, narrow shoots, or blind turns........

that SP won't kick me out for riding like I ride on Lehigh at JF.

Drum roll please...PARADISE :yes

Paradise fits the description above very well. Unfortunately if you ski it fast, you will get a WWII style ambush. Enjoy!

Edited by NazarethSkier

my favorite for that type of ride is switcback with lazy mile being second - the turns aren't really blind, oh wait maybe thaey are for r2!

sorry man couldn't resist....

+1, but reverse the trails. I'd also suggest Raceway, although steeper then Lazy, not as challenging as Razors, and a great fun run...

raceway to midway or chute is a blue mountain delicacy but has crappy lift service off the main street chair (or "loser lift" as my kids refer to it)

LOL...why not just lap Raceway using the Vista chair...you can really rack up the vert on that chair :lol:

raceway to midway or chute is a blue mountain delicacy but has crappy lift service off the main street chair (or "loser lift" as my kids refer to it)

Mmmmm... my favorite. Believe it or not I also really like Burma. From 7:30 to 8:00 the trail was empty and you could tear down it without fear of ticketing . Ah... those were the days.

I know Robert doesn't do blacks( that sounds dirty) but Main Street is wide open and more like a Blue..

I don't really do blacks either but I can ski anything at Blue relatively easily. That should put it into prospective for you Robert.

I have made the bus appointment for Thursday.

I will be on the snow at 11AM and off the snow at 3PM.

That's my bus window for Blue.

I appreciate the input on the hills and lifts.

I won't be experimenting on black diamonds.

So whats the scoop with attendance numbers?

Midweek with warm weather like this we get a handful of people at JF.

IS BLUE getting much traffic on paradise or is the place empty midweek?

And if it is totally empty I wonder if SP will even bother me at all.... at any speed.

With such warm weather ...and some rain.... I can't imagine there being anything but

mashed taters slush on Thursday which will slow me down.

I will play on paradise and I will video record the ride...and anyone who

tries to tell me how to ride there.

It will be the first time ever I go there so I guess it will suck if some dick gives me shit

for trying out a new mountain on the warmest day of the year in slush in the rain.

But hey...you know us snowboarders.... we ride anything, ice, snow,mud, grass,

handrails...... we pay for lift tickets even in the rain.

my favorite for that type of ride is switcback with lazy mile being second - the turns aren't really blind, oh wait maybe they are for r2!

sorry man couldn't resist....

Richard

When I refer to blind turns what I mean is that for the speed you ride and the

amount of turn you take..... I don't want to zip around a turn or drop into a headwall

and discover there is no way to avoid smashing a SPORE.

So I like to stick to very wide open spaces with enough view to avoid things like last rites.

i'll be there thursday as well robert2.

You can find me. Red jacket...white lettering.

There are "headwalls" at Blue??? I've been skiing/riding there for over 10 years and I wouldn't consider anything a "headwall". As people have said, Raceway, although classified as a black, skis like a typical blue trail. Same as Main Street. I don't think they are much, if any, steeper than Lehigh or Exhibition. They are probably longer trails though. Lazy Mile is a great trail when Blue is empty. Plenty wide, with easy turns. When it is crowded, however, it is a shitshow. It seems to be the blue trail that they take all the lessons to. Switchback is usually great, since most people seem to forget it exists. Paradise, without speed restrictions, could be one of the best trails on the mountain.

There are "headwalls" at Blue??? I've been skiing/riding there for over 10 years and I wouldn't

Perhaps I am using the wrong word when I say headwall but my definition of a headwall is

ANY steep dropoff in the middle of a hill that is much steeper than the longer runs of a hill.

This dropoff creates a blind spot from the view from above.

Blues and even Greens can have headwalls.... they are just not as vertical as over in the black

diamonds.

Lehigh has just one headwall in the top 1/3 of the hill.

This makes for a good visible flight at any speed 1/3 way down the hill then STOP.....

assess the people below the headwall...then blast all the way to the lift.

Exhibition has two such blind spots so I have to apply the brakes twice on Exhibition.

I just will not trust my fellow skiiers to stay the hell off the blind spots in the fastest

portion of the hills.

Like I said before.... SPORES collecting their yard sale ... kids on leashes.... teams of boarders playing mini-groomers sliding down the headwall on their ass pushing snow like a plow.........

and my favorite obstacle of all.... the 6 skiers standing like a picket fence all lined up across

the base of a headwall because one of their buddies, or kids fell in the middle of the headwall

and is still gathering up there stuff. Its like a human bowling alley.

So then what?

I don't need to run over them at top speed just because I'm too arrogant

to believe they will NOT be there.

You have to remember that midweek skiing at JF I might have 2 or 3 people share an entire

hill with me if any at all so I'm used to having NO people in my way at high speeds to deal with.

Add people.... apply brakes.... screw up a perfectly good 30 second ride.

So I have no problem sitting down on the headwall at Lehigh and waiting the 2 minutes for

everyone to clear the rest of Lehigh.

I picked today to play at Blue because I figured it would be totally empty.

Its 8:30 AM now and the sky is black rain clouds so I may get my wish to ride without

crowds at 11AM.

yeah probably because the snow isnt white or something like that. i'm heading up when the rain stops... so i dont know when that will be.

Why do you guys always have to be such dicks?

I had no complaints about today's conditions at all.

I came more to buy the season pass today than anything else.

I figured 60 degrees like yesterday would make Blue slow and sticky and suck but it turned

out I got fast slick ridable snow and even better.... solid ice mixed with non-stick powder.

I had a good time today.

AND

it was free rides.....today came with the season pass.

SO NOW THAT I HAVE the season pass I can come to the season pass party Sunday.

Dress in your best Sunday. I expect to take lots of pictures for the net.