$19,000 skis

moe ghoul

When I worked at a store we had a matching set of Rossignol skis, jacket, pants with some designer label . It totaled around $3 or 4k.

I sold it to some 25 y/o chick with her Dad's credit cards (and she even bounced the first 2 or 3 she tried). Great commission for me, awful purchase for him. Ugliest set of stuff I have ever seen.

Picture055.jpg

Moral of the story - there are some people who will buy ANYTHING just because it is "designer" and "unique".

Also used to sell Bogner jackets at $1.5-2k a pop EASILY. People would come in asking for it.

The level of money some people have is staggering. People racing sailboats have million dollar racing boats and they are replacing the sails every year at $150 to 200k a pop. These same guys won't blink at $20,000 skis. These are the guys buying new Ferraris and airplanes and whole floors for apartments in Manhattan. At some point you have so much money that you can't possibly spend it in a lifetime.

I race on a boat I paid $2,000 for 6 years ago, a brand new one costs about $6,500. I've spent more on skiing vacations and gear and passes over that time. But at the same club we have a guy who DONATES his 50 foot boat every 5-10 years to the naval academy or the coast guard, because a $250,000 tax deduction is worthwhile for him.

I can't fathom that, and we can laugh at them, but make a business that targets those guys and you can experience the great world of LUXURY MARGINS.

Edited by Kevin.

It still doesn't change the fact that they are tools and are paying for nothing. There are lots of great custom ski companies out there, that will hook you up with the graphics and the performance you want. No matter the level of skier you are, or the graphics you want. They will not charge you $19,000.