any suggestions making snowboard boots bigger

Barb

Yeah that title sounds dumb, I know. My son's feet have been growing at a rate of 1 size per year (sometimes more). I have had to buy him new boots every season. This year his feet only grew a half a size. I am wondering if someone knows a way to do something with the liner or anything I can do to save myself from having to buy yet another pair of boots for him. Suggestions greatly appreciated.

They are solomon's if that matters.

Boots pack out, and that will add some room, but really he should have boots that fit him. Some shops do seasonal boot rentals where you can change sizes as you grow. Not really ideal because these boots will come packed out and a bit sloppy, but it will be cheaper.

Yeah that title sounds dumb, I know. My son's feet have been growing at a rate of 1 size per year (sometimes more). I have had to buy him new boots every season. This year his feet only grew a half a size. I am wondering if someone knows a way to do something with the liner or anything I can do to save myself from having to buy yet another pair of boots for him. Suggestions greatly appreciated.

They are solomon's if that matters.

you could throw a heel lift under the footbed in the boot to raise his foot in the boot a little bit. that usually gets you a little less than half a size, but it will change how he feels in the boot and might negatively impact his riding ability, especially toeside carving.

What kind of footbeds does he have? If they are the stock ones you can try something like the SuperFeet cut-out ones with a plastic arch support. They should be about $30. That will give more arch support, but one of the results of the higher arch is a shorter overall length, about a half size. It will put the top of his foot tighter into the boot though so if he has high arches to begin with that might not work. Worth trying at the shop though, they will have some to try before you buy. I buy footbeds for my boots and you definitely feel the boot has some extra room up front because of the arch. Don't waste your money on anything more expensive than the plastic cut out ones if his feet are growing quickly.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try Kevin's idea. I tried to go to Alpine Sunday but they were closed. If the footbeds don't work I guess I'll try FGT's idea and just tell him to suck it up.

If I can't get another year out of them I'll try to ebay them. They are probably small for anyone who reads this board. But Solomon's size 6.5 boys if anyone is interested.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try Kevin's idea. I tried to go to Alpine Sunday but they were closed. If the footbeds don't work I guess I'll try FGT's idea and just tell him to suck it up.

If I can't get another year out of them I'll try to ebay them. They are probably small for anyone who reads this board. But Solomon's size 6.5 boys if anyone is interested.

By the way my idea was in addition to Justo's, heel lifts work very well too and the both the footbeds and the heel lift are combined to get the right effect.

There is also a boot stretcher, usually used for liners of ski boots but you can try it on a snowboard boot as well. Last resort move though I never much liked the results.

Boots are probably the most important piece of equipment because if your boots are not comfortable then you will not want to snowboard. Please do not force your son to use boots that are too small unless you want him to really hate snowboarding. If he's really growing that fast do a seasonal rental like Glenn said or go to Play it Again Sports and buy him a pair of boots that fit for $75. Saving a hundred bucks a year on a pair of boots is ridiculous when you factor in how much money you're going to lose on day tickets or a season pass when he takes two runs then spends the rest of his time playing Time Crisis in the lodge.

Boots are probably the most important piece of equipment because if your boots are not comfortable then you will not want to snowboard. Please do not force your son to use boots that are too small unless you want him to really hate snowboarding. If he's really growing that fast do a seasonal rental like Glenn said or go to Play it Again Sports and buy him a pair of boots that fit for $75. Saving a hundred bucks a year on a pair of boots is ridiculous when you factor in how much money you're going to lose on day tickets or a season pass when he takes two runs then spends the rest of his time playing Time Crisis in the lodge.

What he said.

ok, ok, I'll get my kid new boots. Just thought there might be a way to get another year out of them. Thanks for the help, as usual good advice.

If you know what size you need (1/2 size larger than he has now?)and what brands tend to fit him then there are plenty of good deals on line, try sierrasnowboard.com or one of the many others out there. Most places are fine with you ordering 2 pairs and sending one back.

I feel your pain with the growing kids thing, I have two going through equipment at a rate I find hard to comprehend and another about to get her first set of ski's.

Boots are really important though.

Edited by Timeless