Job Fair

Nidecker

Has anyone worked Security for Blue? Whats the pay like..... Im thinking I could find more money scattered in my car and sofa cushions than I'll make in a week working for them. Im in it for the Season Pass. My buddy said lift operator would be boring but I dont think so, Looking at the Snow Bunnies would be plus. I ask cause 3 of my friends which are around my age 22 to 25 are working secur ity this season and I want a free pass I'll do some bitch work for free riding anyday.

wow, i thought you were in middle school...

anyway, nothing at blue pays all that well, and i really don't think there are that many people that work there for the money alone. the benefits are nice. security doesn't seem to really do all that much aside from tell people where they can't park and occasionally throw the reckless drunkard out of the bar. why don't you try and work park crew? then you could be on the hill while working, and you're working towards something that will ultimately benefit you. plus, the more park crew the better.

wow, i thought you were in middle school...

Man you made my day! lol shit i wish i was that young again. My back hurts just thinking ill be 26 in less than a month lol

Oh shit i forgot the main reason for the reply... uhhh dont you have to be "skilled" in park... im not saying im shawn white by anymeans but im not as good as some of the others that have been doing park crue for years. working park crue would be pretty f'in sweet though.

Edited by Nidecker25

Well lost a few posts here but anyway, Went up to Blue on Friday. Place is looking pretty good so far everyone is hard at work settin up, me and my buddy checked out the tent sale even tho workers were still loading the tent up with old equipment. Walked around the Summit Lodge and it smelled clean... Not like the rotten foot odor you get during the season lol. I filled out an app and asked what posistions were still open and the lady says everything but Park Crew, and also added that compared to nite shift, from "4 to 10 or whatever" day shift is empty as hell. I talked to a kid that started a few weeks ago that is doing rentals said pay is abosolute shit which I totally expected he also adds that if anyone wants to work at Blue for the money they need their heads examined lol. So i'll see what happens.

Well lets just say Weather Channel says the "Average High/low Temps" for December first are Seasonal normal High of 41* and normal Low of 25*. See how it pans out. I like hoe everyone says its getting cooler when the "cooler" part is how its really supposed to be this time of November, weve just been getting really spoiled with up to 15* above normal temps.... Heatwave in November :rolleyes:

I want Snow damnit!!! Well okay screw snow I want Snow making Temperatures!

Edit: Oh you son of a bitch I f'in hate the back button! Def the wrong Thread, I feel like a moron now.

Edited by Nidecker25

Well lost a few posts here but anyway, Went up to Blue on Friday. Place is looking pretty good so far everyone is hard at work settin up, me and my buddy checked out the tent sale even tho workers were still loading the tent up with old equipment. Walked around the Summit Lodge and it smelled clean... Not like the rotten foot odor you get during the season lol. I filled out an app and asked what posistions were still open and the lady says everything but Park Crew, and also added that compared to nite shift, from "4 to 10 or whatever" day shift is empty as hell. I talked to a kid that started a few weeks ago that is doing rentals said pay is abosolute shit which I totally expected he also adds that if anyone wants to work at Blue for the money they need their heads examined lol. So i'll see what happens.

Security is alright. Last year we got 6.50 an hour. First year you wont be working the parking lot, youll be stuck in the cage and somedays on scanner but its alright. A lot of days when its empty we basically just sit around and bull shit but holiday weekends suck. Its a pretty easy job. Id recommend it. Dave is a pretty easy going boss also so thats always a plus. This year a lot has changed and we are "supposed" to have more authority or whatever. There will be armed guards at all times there also.

Some other news... New signs, new brochures, airbag = no inverts allowed + additional cost. They are basically trying to turn Blue Mountain into a disney environment - employees are supposed to smile at all times, customer #1, enforcing uniforms now I believe. They are focusing a lot on energy savings. Itll be pretty cool to see what its like in a few years.

Security is alright. Last year we got 6.50 an hour. First year you wont be working the parking lot, youll be stuck in the cage and somedays on scanner but its alright. A lot of days when its empty we basically just sit around and bull shit but holiday weekends suck. Its a pretty easy job. Id recommend it. Dave is a pretty easy going boss also so thats always a plus. This year a lot has changed and we are "supposed" to have more authority or whatever. There will be armed guards at all times there also.

No Parking lot this year? Aw why not? I'd love to haul ass after someone on the 4 wheeler and tell them they can't park in that spot. And what "cage" are you talking about? Armed Guards? Jesus, that seems out of the ordinary.

Some other news... New signs, new brochures, airbag = no inverts allowed + additional cost. They are basically trying to turn Blue Mountain into a disney environment - employees are supposed to smile at all times, customer #1, enforcing uniforms now I believe. They are focusing a lot on energy savings. Itll be pretty cool to see what its like in a few years.

Wow............... what's next Someone dressing up as a Big Snowflake costume greeting all the People that come in? Wtf...

Edited by Nidecker25

good..employees at Blue should smile...liftees at other resorts wear uniforms with nametags..and greet skiers and riders with a smile..at Blue they look pissed off to be there and just drink iced tea and smoke cigs all day..

not a bad idea..

Your absolutely right about the Cigaretts tho, shit. Hm guess we all will see if this will be a good idea or not. I bet they will enforce it to no end and who ever dosent obey will be replaced with someone who will no questions asked.

No Parking lot this year? Aw why not? I'd love to haul ass after someone on the 4 wheeler and tell them they can't park in that spot. And what "cage" are you talking about? Armed Guards? Jesus, that seems out of the ordinary.

the cage means boardcheck. And the past few years with the robbery, the fights in the parking lot and also finding the gun on the slopes brought the need for an armed guard. But yeah all the departments are hiring more than needed so they can fire those who don't comply. Some pros and cons but I think it's for the best.

Finding a gun on the slopes could have simply been an LTCF holder whos gun simply slipped away when they fell. Clearly they don't have a SERPA but it's no reason to have an armed security guard. I feel less safe knowing some wannabe who may be ACT235 is carrying a gun. What is an armed security guard going to detur? People from stealing? An armed guard can't do anything more then a normal security guard.

the fact that someone up there is going to have a gun is terrifying. bouncers at clubs/bars in philly do not have guns. why does someone at a ski area need to have one? also, no inverts with the airbag? i expected there to be an additional fee for that to keep the morons away, but lets be honest here, the thing is basically designed so you can learn inverted crap without completely risking your neck. if anything that thing should bring their insurance rates down since ideally, people learn tricks there before trying them on a real jump instead of just going into it blindly with no clue how to actually stick their landing.

Finding a gun on the slopes could have simply been an LTCF holder whos gun simply slipped away when they fell. Clearly they don't have a SERPA but it's no reason to have an armed security guard. I feel less safe knowing some wannabe who may be ACT235 is carrying a gun. What is an armed security guard going to detur? People from stealing? An armed guard can't do anything more then a normal security guard.

Yeah I dont know thats just what they told us. And even if you have a permit, Blue does not want anyone else to have a gun on the slopes. Somebody asked about that- which contradicts having an armed guard I know, but whatever its her mountain not mine. ha

About the airbag... I know I was pissed too. It will be under 24 watch with a cam and Im pretty sure they will have ski patrol on it all the time. Im learning double corks on that thing regardless. Just gotta learn how to control the flip spin ratio haha. It is really pointless to spend 30,000 dollars on an airbag though and not allow flips onto it. Jim Daley said they looked into inverts but the insurance was just too high or whatever. Ive given up hope for Blue to allow anything inverted.

About the airbag... I know I was pissed too. It will be under 24 watch with a cam and Im pretty sure they will have ski patrol on it all the time. Im learning double corks on that thing regardless. Just gotta learn how to control the flip spin ratio haha. It is really pointless to spend 30,000 dollars on an airbag though and not allow flips onto it. Jim Daley said they looked into inverts but the insurance was just too high or whatever. Ive given up hope for Blue to allow anything inverted.

That completely sucks about the airbag, I was so excited about the thing until now. I am fine with them charging an additional fee, I expected that but I have seen videos from other mountains of people doing crazy inverted stuff and it looks so cool. I guess I will have to do like everyone else and sack up and do any inverts over in the park out of sight of the ski patrol. They wont be able to stop people from doing inverts unless a patroller is constantly at every feature on the mountain which is not realistic. So instead of having the safety of the air bag to get good enough at taking an invert to the snow you have to just risk it on the mountain.

That completely sucks about the airbag, I was so excited about the thing until now. I am fine with them charging an additional fee, I expected that but I have seen videos from other mountains of people doing crazy inverted stuff and it looks so cool. I guess I will have to do like everyone else and sack up and do any inverts over in the park out of sight of the ski patrol. They wont be able to stop people from doing inverts unless a patroller is constantly at every feature on the mountain which is not realistic. So instead of having the safety of the air bag to get good enough at taking an invert to the snow you have to just risk it on the mountain.

I know... I was so pumped for that bag. Itll be nice to work on switch spins and stuff though without worrying about casing the jump and shit. As for inverts if you look like you know what your doing, a lot of patrol will turn their heads or just say to not do them. Some hero patrollers will try to take you to court over it though ha.

And the point of the airbag is basically marketing.. They can add it to their brochure. I see it now "Only airbag in PA even though you can't use it what its meant for! Touch the sky but dont go above our newly enforced airtime limit!"

Edited by Rodeo Steve

I don't think I've ever seen a security guard in the parking lot. BTW I too hate the employees smoking at their posts. You don't really do that in any other public service job so why can you do it at the Mt.?

They're the guys riding around the lot on the quads. I'm always at Summit Lodge, they're there constantly. Maybe it's a different story in the Valley.

I talked to Dave the Security manager and nothing has changed from last year, still doing the lot check Via 4 wheeler but foot patrol is new for this year, Jackets are new this year also... 50 bucks gets you a coat its manditory for all security employees. New Ticket and Pass Scanners will be able to show actual ticket facts and not just if the Ticket or Pass is good or not and added 8 more scanners so passes can get checked at all of the lifts too to stop anyone from hanging out on the slopes longer than what there ticket says. Armed Guards is true, it feels like im forgetting something to add but ill just edit it if something else comes to me.

I talked to Dave the Security manager and nothing has changed from last year, still doing the lot check Via 4 wheeler but foot patrol is new for this year, Jackets are new this year also... 50 bucks gets you a coat its manditory for all security employees. New Ticket and Pass Scanners will be able to show actual ticket facts and not just if the Ticket or Pass is good or not and added 8 more scanners so passes can get checked at all of the lifts too to stop anyone from hanging out on the slopes longer than what there ticket says. Armed Guards is true, it feels like im forgetting something to add but ill just edit it if something else comes to me.

so they're keeping the ticket checkers at the top and bottom lodge, as well as checking tickets at all the lifts? that's going to get pretty annoying. if they're checking at the lifts, they don't really need to be checking at the lodges, aside from people who would hike the lower park. i appreciate all the money they've put into legitimately making the mountain a better place for riding, but some of this is getting a little ridiculous.

so they're keeping the ticket checkers at the top and bottom lodge, as well as checking tickets at all the lifts? that's going to get pretty annoying. if they're checking at the lifts, they don't really need to be checking at the lodges, aside from people who would hike the lower park. i appreciate all the money they've put into legitimately making the mountain a better place for riding, but some of this is getting a little ridiculous.

You got it top and bottom and lift checks