whats this AIRBAG

Robert2

This airbag was mentioned in the job fair thread.

Sort of breaking it off to talk about it instead of the job fair topics.

So whats up with this airbag?

I couldn't find anything on the web about it.

What is the this airbag used for?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmFtJAHoows

Sorry for the horrible quality of that video (and its music), but that's what they're talking about. I pretty much hate the idea personally though I admit I'll probably try it to work on bigger spins. I think it will increase the number of people who are hucking themselves around in the park (dude I "landed" a 360 on the airbag let me try it in the park!). If you haven't learned how to jump how to jump before going on the airbag it won't do much good because you are missing the most important part from the whole thing - landing. It is meant for people who know what they're doing to try something crazier and feel it without consequence (though rumor is no inverts, so kinda negates a lot of things it was good for).

edit: damn GSS beat me to it.

Hi Robert2...here is a video from Windham mountain NY

Damn the jump Windham made in that video is awful. Wow.

Edited by Kevin.

If inverts arnt allowed it really is pointless. It serves no other purpose.

It was interesting to see that Windham had a gun pointed at the thing so that people were sliding right off. I would think that the thing would be way less dangerous for inverts/big spins if the surface was lubed up...

==============================================================================================

If you haven't learned how to jump how to jump before going on the airbag it won't do much good because you are missing the most important part from the whole thing - landing.

=========================================================================================

I never learned how to jump anything.

I thought the airbag would be the way to learn jumping... and landing.

Not just kamakazie new shit that you wouldn't want to try on hardpack.

They had those at one of the camps this summer and they're good for one thing; getting completely broke-the-fuck-off. They are really really dangerous and I've seen multiple people get severely injured on them. If you can't sack up and don't have the abilities to throw something on a real jump then you probably shouldn't be trying it in the first place.

• Like 1

==============================================================================================

If you haven't learned how to jump how to jump before going on the airbag it won't do much good because you are missing the most important part from the whole thing - landing.

=========================================================================================

I never learned how to jump anything.

I thought the airbag would be the way to learn jumping... and landing.

Not just kamakazie new shit that you wouldn't want to try on hardpack.

It's definitely not, because going off the ramp is not the hard part of learning to jump and thats all the airbag is teaching you. When you start spinning then what you do going off the ramp is important, but when you are starting how to land and how much speed to use are the more important factors.

My approach for teaching/learning jumps is to start by going over the deck of a jump and jumping right at the knuckle. So you can work yourself up to the speed you need to actually clear the jump and you are landing on the actual landing and can feel everything, but you won't get hurt because you are only coming down a few feet. If you fall you are basically just falling like you would on a trail at speed and its fine.

Then I'd go to small jumps and start landing that (but park jumps, jumps on the side of trails are dangerous). Make sure you are landing on the landing not on the deck. Anything under 10' isn't a "real" jump in my opinion because landing on the deck doesn't hurt so people don't realize you have to make it to the landing, but if you use them right they are a good learning tool.

Then go back to a "real" jump. It doesn't have to be big but the small ones at JF in One Park are a good example. Maybe 10-15' and a 4-5' step down. Now you are on a jump that coming up short of the landing will suck, it won't get you hurt most likely but you'll know when you aren't going fast enough. Follow someone else into it a few times to get the speed right (make sure THEY'RE clearing it) but skip the ramp. Then drop on your own for the jump at the right speed and get it.

From my experience the most difficult part for beginners is hitting the jump at a high enough speed to get to the landing. Second is landing, and third is coming off the ramp straight. The airbag only takes care of the last.

The airbag isn't useless, but I can see a lot of ways getting hurt on it and a lot of ways it can build bad habits.

Why can I picture a Noob not getting enough speed or pussing out just before and missing the bag completly and casing the landing on flat ground? if blue puts a gap between the lip and bag I can picture someone falling a bit short on the landing and getting a nice ride on medivac.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpQZ72EIls

Basically this is what a legit airbag set up looks like.

Coincidentally this is the same airbag that I watched sideline multiple dudes this summer. I know I'm belaboring the point right now but these things are sketchy at best and dangerous as hell at worst.

Coincidentally this is the same airbag that I watched sideline multiple dudes this summer. I know I'm belaboring the point right now but these things are sketchy at best and dangerous as hell at worst.

Come on DHarrisburg, the kids are "getting their dubs on lock" without ANY chance of getting hurt at all. Don't come in here with your "facts" and "experience" and try and rain on the parade.

Follow someone else into it a few times to get the speed right (make sure THEY'RE clearing it) but skip the ramp. Then drop on your own for the jump at the right speed and get it.

From my experience the most difficult part for beginners is hitting the jump at a high enough speed to get to the landing.

Mostly I fear overshooting.

When I went into the park at JF to film the jumpers last year I found that as I rode down the hills to make movies I always overran the speed that the jumpers were heading into the ramps.

If I hit those ramps with my normal cruising speeds I do on those angles of steepness I'll pop

way far out and the drop distance will be no way the right place for a smooth controlled landing.

I weigh a hundred pounds more than a lot of these jumpers to my speed and trajectory is going to be nothing like them.

Following someone else to see what the right speed is might not work out real good for me.

I get what your saying about them being sketchy, and for a lot of the kids that pay for it, it will be. The fact of the matter is, if your using it for tricks your capable of, and have control of your speed and aerial awareness, this is a hell of a lot safer trying to "add that extra 180" off a booter. Going from a 5 to a 7 on a board for the first time or 7 to 9 usually ends up with with catching an edge a lot of the time, and this opens up the door to making that first attempt "safer". My point is that the bag is going to be much safer than just hucking off a jump and hoping for the best cause thats how a lot of kids learn. The chances of breaking your neck, back, etc are much higher lower on this feature even though it has happened before. Not everybody stomps a first huck attempt at a double rodeo. Then again some do :nana lol it was complete luck but all Im saying is I wish I had a bag for that first try cause I could be paralyzed right now.

Mostly I fear overshooting.

When I went into the park at JF to film the jumpers last year I found that as I rode down the hills to make movies I always overran the speed that the jumpers were heading into the ramps.

If I hit those ramps with my normal cruising speeds I do on those angles of steepness I'll pop

way far out and the drop distance will be no way the right place for a smooth controlled landing.

I weigh a hundred pounds more than a lot of these jumpers to my speed and trajectory is going to be nothing like them.

Following someone else to see what the right speed is might not work out real good for me.

you're obviously not the target market for this thing. it's designed for people to learn/perfect tricks on before taking them to a regular jump, not for people who have never hit a jump before and don't have a clue what they're doing. if you're having issues with hitting sweet spot on landings, start in the smallest park/smallest features on the mountain wherever you're at and hit those until you are comfortable enough gauging your speed that you can hit sweep spot every time. from there, move onto bigger/different types of jumps.

Let them be pissed because I never said it was definite. I just said that's what Jim told me a few days ago.

i'm saying they could at least get the vista chair open... instead of blowing on tubing right now. they dont need the mainstreet chair to open the place up. they can do fine with the vista lift which is basically the size of boulder. people will still come.