Snowmaking Update?

Ride Delaware ?

Stopped in at the mountain today, they were blowing on all the usually preseason trails: susquehanna, west, east, tioga, and beginners. However they needed to stop around noon time like it seems everyone else did cause of the temps. The natural snow is still falling, they must have around 4 inches by now. I assume snowmaking should be resuming at any moment.

It seems like they are going to open next week... Im not that surprised, as the only people likely to show up if they open this weekend will be season pass holders or employees, so really no reason for them to open up. It takes forever to cover the west slope and susquehanna and they really like to get down a big base on the major trails, so therefore it takes a while to do so. It sucks cause I would have liked skiing at Elk this weekend. Ah well, lets hope for a good winter nonetheless.

I know we have a few Elk locals up in the Union Dale area... Any update on the snowmaking? I'm sure they have begun...

Elk's website states - "Tenative Opening Date Wed., December 16th, 8:30am to 4:30pm".

• Like 1

We're planning an overnight trip to Elk for late season. I've only been a few times but I really liked it when we went. Now I just have to figure out a non creepy place to crash for one night. Hmmmmmm.

Clarks Summit is probably the best bet if you want a normal hotel, and its about a 30/35 min drive. There are a lot of great bed and breakfast style places around the mountain, but you have to like that kinda atmosphere. Stonebridge is a great hotel/ lodge 3 miles down the road that is really nice but somewhat expensive. Anywhere else you do run the risk of it being "creepy" as you said, welcome to Susquehanna county ;)

First off, this is the wrong place for this thread... I need to know the updates on snowmaking since I'm thinking of going there next Saturday... Second, as odd as it seems, the road that intersects at a T (if you turn left you go to Elk, turn right clarks summit, coming from I-81), there is a small hotel there that looks like a dive and has a restaurant, but it actually has pretty nice rooms and is fairly secure... I stayed there with some broskis like 3 years ago, OutCold being one of them... Sketchy to check in, but not a sketch room... Its close and decently affordable... 5-10 min to the mountain...

Ok, since I helped the thread go off topic ill help bring it back... according to people in the area the storm dumped around 4-6 inches, depending who you talk to, with some rain and snow showers off and on during the day yesterday. Snowmkaing is supposedly going nicely, they never really planned on opening this weekend anyway but should have plenty of coverage on the trails they are blowing on by at the latest Sunday, which gives them a few days to move around the piles/ make more as needed but also lets them start to focus on the next set of trails to open.

My guess is that if the forecast holds they should open with Susquehanna, Tioga, East, West, Beginners, and Upper and Lower Tunkhannock, with probably (hopefully) something else open for the weekend. The problem is that they are notoriously slow to open up trails until Christmas week, from a combination of the fact that their major trails are so damn wide and them being cheap until the people start to show. So pretty much, who knows what will happen in the next week or so, but ill try to get as many updates that I know of on here. If any one else knows more concrete info be sure to add it.