NASTAR Results Are in

skierboi

• 2 weeks later...

Belated congratulations to Skimom, Skidude and Ridge. That's awesome.

I've been out of commission for the past couple of weeks. While you were in Park City we were up at Smuggler's Notch for the week. My skiing for this season abruptly ended that week when I got hurt on the mountain. I had to be taken off the trail by stretcher, placed in an ambulance and taken to a hospital in Burlington.

Then I woke up on Easter morning with strep throat which kept me bed ridden for four days. My doctor in NJ had me do another CT scan just to make sure everything is okay (it was negative). But no more skiing this season.

Just this morning I had to take my son to the doctor with strep throat. Yikes.

So I'm just catching up on everything.

Greg, thanks for sending a bunch of PASR stickers. I put one on my helmet before we left to go to VT. I think my helmet is toast. I'm sending it back to Giro for inspection. Most likely it will need to be replaced.

I was standing at the top of a bump trail with my group ski class. Somebody in my own class couldn't stop fast enough coming down to meet us and he skied into me and I got knocked backwards and hit the back of my head on the ground and was knocked unconscious. Just briefly, though. But I'm a petite person and the guy who knocked me over is tall.

I was all dis-oriented and confused and I failed the "answer test". So off to the hospital for a CT scan. Luckily its just a concussion. But I have retrograde amnesia. I have no memory of the collision or anything else for five hours after that.

My memory only started working once the ER doctor says the words "your cat scan is negative". I'm told its quite common and its the brain's defensive mechanism. Its just weird because I was awake the whole time but I have absolutely no memory of anything.

I think it was scarier on my husband and kids. They only found out I was hurt after they finished their group lessons.

Never did finish learning how to ski the bumps. But now I'm quite infamous with the ski instructors.

I was taken to the Fletcher Allen Medical Center in Burlington.

Yes, far better to be injured on the last ski trip of the season. And I'm amazed I didn't break any bones. Luckily the snow was very soft that week. And I didn't skid very far down the trail since it was all bumped up.

And since I have no memory of the accident or being taken to the hospital I have no fear to hinder me next season. I already made reservations to ski at Smuggler's next winter.

I just have some neck whiplash to contend with.

I never did press Smuggler's about missing a ski lesson after I got hurt. The group lessons were already included as part of the reservation package. Because this was our second time staying at Smuggler's in the same season they gave us free season passes so we didn't have to buy lift tickets. So no financial loss there.

Having said that, there was general agreement among the instructors that I'm owed a lesson. I think I might try to get a free private lesson next winter.

My kids had an outstanding time. They had the same instructor for four days and they skied steeps, bumps, glades, the half pipe and did the timed race course. Rats, they are now at a higher ability level than me.

I never did press Smuggler's about missing a ski lesson after I got hurt.  The group lessons were already included as part of the reservation package.  Because this was our second time staying at Smuggler's in the same season they gave us free season passes so we didn't have to buy lift tickets.  So no financial loss there.

Having said that, there was general agreement among the instructors that I'm owed a lesson.  I think I might try to get a free private lesson next winter.

My kids had an outstanding time.  They had the same instructor for four days and they skied steeps, bumps, glades, the half pipe and did the timed race course.  Rats, they are now at a higher ability level than me.

I'd give them a call or write a letter before they forget about your accident and refuse to the free lesson.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...