Elk update

rummy

Skied today with about 80 other people...Ski patrol said temp at opening...minus 17 wind chill, 6* without the wind.

Conditions excellent, packed powder, all groomed corduroy. Slopes open, Delaware, Slalom, Susquehanna, Upper and Lower Tunk, Tioga, Tecumsah, Whissihickan. (all these are top to bottom runs) Additionally, East, West, Beginners, Little Foot Terrain Park, Hiawatha, Lackawanna and Tioga Spurs. No snow blowing during the day (snow crew day off?). Work on main T-park is supposed to start soon, with the possibility of opening next Tues, according to a park crewman. Beer was cold too....

Merry X-Mas!!!

Skied today with about 80 other people...Ski patrol said temp at opening...minus 17 wind chill, 6* without the wind.

Conditions excellent, packed powder, all groomed corduroy. Slopes open, Delaware, Slalom, Susquehanna, Upper and Lower Tunk, Tioga, Tecumsah, Whissihickan. (all these are top to bottom runs) Additionally, East, West, Beginners, Little Foot Terrain Park, Hiawatha, Lackawanna and Tioga Spurs. No snow blowing during the day (snow crew day off?). Work on main T-park is supposed to start soon, with the possibility of opening next Tues, according to a park crewman. Beer was cold too....

Merry X-Mas!!!

Sounds like JADIP to me wow only 80 ppl during the holiday that's awesome for the Elk locals

Was just about to do a TR from today, but will add to here instead...

Today was prob the coldest and windiest day I have ever skied in PA, and maybe anywhere. It was COLD. And really really windy. However the snow was holding up very nice, they blew on close to everything that is open last nigh after not being able to since the storm. Unfortunately I dont think anything else will open up until later in the week, they have been trying to get the base up on the open trails. If the wind dies down tomorrow should be excellent, after another night of snowmaking and some natural falling right now.

Was just about to do a TR from today, but will add to here instead...

Today was prob the coldest and windiest day I have ever skied in PA, and maybe anywhere. It was COLD. And really really windy. However the snow was holding up very nice, they blew on close to everything that is open last nigh after not being able to since the storm. Unfortunately I dont think anything else will open up until later in the week, they have been trying to get the base up on the open trails. If the wind dies down tomorrow should be excellent, after another night of snowmaking and some natural falling right now.

I over heard they tried a lift evac that day, bur because of the wind, and maybe because not many patrollers were present that day, they opted to wait for lift repairs to get everyone off, with some people being stuck up in the for 60 minutes. With that wind chill, I'd imagine some people got darn cold and frost bite might have been an issue?

Anyone up in that neck of the woods kindly report on any snowfall overnite and today. Elk's website is pretty weak in that department and they don't have a webcam.

Boy, this is late and not really what you're asking, but, between last Wed and Sun morning we had about 8" of powder at TLCITW. Conditions were great, and not too crowded. They opened Lehigh today, and that trail doesn't have snowmaking ,although it was on the leeward side of all this wind and probably got all the snow that fell the last couple of days. And upper and lower Seneca were open Sat. (I see upper Seneca was closed today, so it got skied off since then).

I think they'll have all the mtn open by this weekend.

Hey Rummy i know you are a local so i value your opinion. Never been to Elk. Have a day off on Friday, website says "winter fest" will it be a "mad house"?

Also as my name infers I am older and like the greens and blues. Are there some longer cruiser type runs? I see from the trail map that Lehigh is a long green, looks like my speed.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Hey Rummy i know you are a local so i value your opinion. Never been to Elk. Have a day off on Friday, website says "winter fest" will it be a "mad house"?

Also as my name infers I am older and like the greens and blues. Are there some longer cruiser type runs? I see from the trail map that Lehigh is a long green, looks like my speed.

Thanks in advance for the info.

I've never been to a Friday "winter fest" and it may be busier than a typical empty weekday, but still not Blue, or CB crowded. The deal with "wf" is demo tents are set up outside the picnic hut and several ski shops (check website for names, under special events) offer discount tickets for the day. Discount tickets are only available at the ski shops and not at the mtn.

Lehigh is a long flat green, and good speed on the first switchback is the only way you'll avoid polling 1/4 mile or so. Don't be afraid of the blues at Elk, the easiest ones, and good cruisers, are Tioga, Delaware, Lenape and Whissahicken. The West slope is where the picnic hut is located, goes about 1/2 way up the mtn, is serviced by it's own lift, and is super wide.

Give Elk a try I'm sure you'll like the excellent grooming and the friendly people. Probably the most inconvenient part, is having to ride the "Elk-Wagon" to the lodge from the lower parking lots. If you get to Elk before 8:30am you can usually park in the more convenient upper lot on weekdays. On Weekends you definitely need a parking pass to access the top lot.