can't do a trail report for Blue if they don't let you go out on snow

Robert2

That's an interesting idea. ...jamming them up to they don't have to pay?

How's that done?

I would think if they were doing something like that then the coin slots wouldn't still be functioning.... and they do function just fine....drop 3 quarters in ...and you hear them clank down to the money pot... but the key doesn't turn all the way out and then the locker is still unlocked.

savem.jpg

http://ww5.komen.org...ate/Donate.html

No idea, but it seems unusual that so many of them were messed up at the same time. Bend the keys? Crazy glue? Kids get pretty creative when it comes to destruction.

we also get more Jersey people which gives the place some culture

i didn't know there was culture there. mostly just good nightlife in AC and some decent surfing once in a while.

robert, what are you bringing to the mountain that needs to go in a locker? wear a pair of shitty shoes on the bus, and that's really all you should need to put in a locker. i don't use lockers at blue, but when kt, toast, t*maki and i were out in utah, we took the bus to the ski area 2 out of 4 days, and just got our shit straight at the car in the parking lot and got on the bus. lots of people wore shoes and carried boots, but i really can't see what else you'd need to check in a locker, aside from food maybe?

RE: robert, what are you bringing to the mountain that needs to go in a locker?

Bottles of water..... dry clothes.....batteries... electronics.

When you take buses you don't get to set the temperature or have the luxury of

walking out of a house into a car like most of you always do.

I've waited 2 hours on bus stops in February for the Trailways bus in 7 degrees.

I must carry extra warm layers with me and I can't be wearing sweat drenched clothes

after riding all day.

So either Blue deals with their visitor storage needs better or lose customers to

a ski resort that can.

I've used pay lockers everywhere I ever took a bus to ski and never ran into such

time stealing locker crap until last week at Blue.

I used the quarter lockers at Jack Frost 4 years ago when I had a season ski locker.

Those ski lockers were outside and just like the season lockers at Blue. Too narrow

to fit a backpack.

But Jack Frost indoor quarter lockers had a bit of a different twist.

The money collection box was missing in one column of lockers so when you dropped your quarters in they would just roll out at your feet.

I used the same two quarters all winter.

The next year they put in the big wide indoor season lockers.... that fit backpacks.

RE: robert, what are you bringing to the mountain that needs to go in a locker?

Bottles of water..... dry clothes.....batteries... electronics.

When you take buses you don't get to set the temperature or have the luxury of

walking out of a house into a car like most of you always do.

I've waited 2 hours on bus stops in February for the Trailways bus in 7 degrees.

I must carry extra warm layers with me and I can't be wearing sweat drenched clothes

after riding all day.

So either Blue deals with their visitor storage needs better or lose customers to

a ski resort that can.

I've used pay lockers everywhere I ever took a bus to ski and never ran into such

time stealing locker crap until last week at Blue.

I used the quarter lockers at Jack Frost 4 years ago when I had a season ski locker.

Those ski lockers were outside and just like the season lockers at Blue. Too narrow

to fit a backpack.

But Jack Frost indoor quarter lockers had a bit of a different twist.

The money collection box was missing in one column of lockers so when you dropped your quarters in they would just roll out at your feet.

I used the same two quarters all winter.

The next year they put in the big wide indoor season lockers.... that fit backpacks.

clearly you missed the part of my post where i said we took a bus to the ski area while out in utah and still didn't feel any need to bring anything that would require a locker. and you can fit a pack in the season lockers at blue. i know, i've done it plenty of times, with three pairs of skis in the locker. if you don't like blue, whatever, it doesn't directly harm me, but don't talk shit on the place for stupid little gripes that 99% of the skiing population would agree really is not that big a deal at all.

• Like 1

clearly you missed the part of my post where i said we took a bus to the ski area while out in utah and still didn't feel any need to bring anything that would require a locker. and you can fit a pack in the season lockers at blue. i know, i've done it plenty of times, with three pairs of skis in the locker. if you don't like blue, whatever, it doesn't directly harm me, but don't talk shit on the place for stupid little gripes that 99% of the skiing population would agree really is not that big a deal at all.

Interesting. Saying I'm talking shit about the place if I don't like Blue.

Seems you are the one that missed the point.

I LIKE BLUE for their teaching areas.

BLUE has something I don't get at Jack Frost.

They always run carpet lifts and tow ropes in the brand new beginner ski ares.

This is my attraction to BLUE.

When teaching brand new students there is this time where you can't be going out on a real hill and we make the students slide down 100 feet and then walk back up a very small hill.

Then teach left and right rides then link turns.

NOBODY goes up a ski lift hill until they can link turns in the beginner area.

If they can't link turns they can't slow down so its a safety issue.

So the longer you keep a student in the 100 foot ride then hump up the hill area the more worn out they get and sooner or later they screw up and crash bad because they are just plain worn out from humping uphill.

BLUE has cured this problem by making beginner areas where you don't have to hump back up that hill.

My students aren't athletes. My students so far at Blue have been city kids who aren't going to last very long in lessons dragging a board uphill.

My latest student is a member of AARP and the best chance for her success is going to be a beginner area with a carpet lift or tow rope.

So... no.. I'm not talking shit about BLUE because I don't like BLUE.

I'm telling it like it is and nothing more. Don't read into it anything else just because

I have a 4 year history of daily riding at Jack Frost.

When I say my stuff doesn't fit in my season ski locker and you say you can fit your stuff in a ski locker .... thats great.... you win...you can fit your stuff in a ski locker.

But that still doesn't do shit for me or everyone who doesn't have a ski locker.

Blue has to fix the valley lodge locker problems. Its that simple.

• Like 1

leave r2 alone. whatever works for him is fine even if it doesnt work for the rest of us. fact is blue has lockers and other services their patrons can use. if theres any issue with something, it should be fixed so that everyones experience is enjoyable. just goes back to customer service and overall impression of winter season at the blue mountain state fair. ill give them the benefit of the doubt and say palmerton is not the best place to pick employees with great customer service mindsets but still. being human is the bare minimum of service you know. some people arent even human that work there.

• Like 1

I can understand his concerns, but giving up on a mountain because of the lockers seems like a pretty petty thing. I get that you don't want your stuff taken so maybe don't bring as much to BLUE next time. Bring all the crap in the world you want to ELK or FROST but maybe just try to pack it better for BLUE?

With the amount of pockets I know I have on my clothes I can't imagine needing a locker. Dressing like an astronaut is always a good idea, but for the most part you can leave the space peripherals on the launchpad.

• Like 1

I can understand his concerns, but giving up on a mountain because of the lockers seems like a pretty petty thing. I get that you don't want your stuff taken so maybe don't bring as much to BLUE next time. Bring all the crap in the world you want to ELK or FROST but maybe just try to pack it better for BLUE?

With the amount of pockets I know I have on my clothes I can't imagine needing a locker. Dressing like an astronaut is always a good idea, but for the most part you can leave the space peripherals on the launchpad.

exactly. you know the shortcomings of the place, and you know the benefits. if the benefits are something you can't get elsewhere, like you say they are, then figure out a way around the shortcomings to take advantage of the benefits.

• Like 2

RE: With the amount of pockets I know I have on my clothes I can't imagine needing a locker. Dressing like an astronaut is always a good idea, but for the most part you can leave the space peripherals on the launchpad.

======================================================================

Its one thing to leave the house using just pockets... I do that all the time.

Its totally another situation when carrying dry clothes. They are bulky.

And armor too.

When I meet the city kids for lessons I bring roller blade wrist guards, elbow guards, knee pads

and a helmet for the kid and some warm base layers also.

The damn kids always show up with jeans and cotton sweatshirts and 3 pairs of cotton socks.

So... no... this big fat bag of stuff isn't going to fit into anything at the valley lodge except the 75 cent lockers.

If I can't get one of those lockers...and lock it... then I can't go play on the snow

when I arrive at noon and the student won't arrive until 4 PM or later so then what?

I babysit a bag all day or risk losing $200 worth of stuff by leaving it unattended unlocked.

I don't think so.

So no.... I don't think the merits of Blue are worth the aggravation of Blue.

Not now anyway.

SAVE THE TATAS

Once bitten twice shy...Everytime I've been at Blue conditions have been marginal and the facilticies aren't far behind...So much potenial but...............

then you are there at the wrong times or the wrong days. today was superb, again. i've been there at least 25 times this season and have only had 2 shitty days. one was the first day of the season when they rushed to get everything open because they effed up the lift inspection, and the second was the day after i got back from Utah and was miserable to be back in PA.

Seems Blue spent a shitload of money "improving" the whole place this year but neglected

making any changes to the real basic problem causing areas like bag storage and lockers that lock.

There is somebody new in charge of rentals, the new guy probably doesn't know how to fix the lockers. Or doesn't care. Instead of going to the ticket office or customer service go right to the General Manger's office (located between the two) that worked for me last year when the locker stole my money and wouldn't give me a key.

I noticed the same thing earlier this year. Like every other locker was messed up. Why don't they have a courtesy bag check like they do ski check? This would solve a lot of problems.

then you are there at the wrong times or the wrong days. today was superb, again. i've been there at least 25 times this season and have only had 2 shitty days. one was the first day of the season when they rushed to get everything open because they effed up the lift inspection, and the second was the day after i got back from Utah and was miserable to be back in PA.

How about 2 days before New Years? I think you stayed for 2 runs. That was the 2nd worse day of the year, followed closely by opening day.

There is somebody new in charge of rentals, the new guy probably doesn't know how to fix the lockers. Or doesn't care. Instead of going to the ticket office or customer service go right to the General Manger's office (located between the two) that worked for me last year when the locker stole my money and wouldn't give me a key.

I noticed the same thing earlier this year. Like every other locker was messed up. Why don't they have a courtesy bag check like they do ski check? This would solve a lot of problems.

So perhaps its not really my problem that I am not qualified to operate 3 quarters and a key.

Apparently this is an old problem with many people having been screwed out of flight time on the white stuff because they had to dick around with lockers maintained by incompetent Blue management. Any business that sees they have a problem this simple and does not fix it just doesn't really give a shit about their customers.

Until they find a cure for this disease I'm not coming back to Blue with students.

I have to carry too much stuff with me to play this game.

• Like 2

• 7 years later...

You guys know me by now.

I take a bus.... get a locker for 75 cents... and go ride.

So today being the Blue day...

I take the bus... go look for a locker next to benches...

and I find that every locker I reach to open has a key in it BUT

IS FULL of gym bags , coolers, and lunches.

So my first thought is that some inconsiderate pussworts are using the lockers

without paying and taking the keys.

But every single one of them in a block of 30 lockers?

So I find one that is empty and dress for 20 degree weather....

you know.... like an astronaut .....

and the very last thing I will do before stepping out to the lauch pad....

is drop 3 quarters into the locker and walk off with a key.

BUT

noooooooooooooooooooooooo....

3 quarters went in.... and the key did not come out.

Well now what the phuq.

So I drop in 3 more quarters thinking maybe I did something wrong when trying to jiggle

the key out.

3 more quarters went in and STILL no key comes out.

OK....

about to burst into flames now... because I'm totally dressed for snow...

helmet goggles...everything on....

soooooooo

I strip off some head layers....

then locate another empty locker....

pull out all my stuff and relocate to the other locker....

drop 3 quarters in and

drumroll please......

tadaaaaaa...

NO key comes out.

OK...

so now what?

There's no way I leave my stuff unlocked.

So now I have to find Blue staff to fix whatever is screwing up all these lockers.

So apparently perhaps I was too quick to think that people were using the lockers without taking keys because they were jitbags.

Perhaps they couldn't get the damn key out of the lockers and they were not really such inconsiderate phuqs who actually drove to Blue and have a car they can lock up their stuff in

and where snarfing up the only lockup space available to people who take the bus.

Since I have filled the locker with stuff and don't really want to carry all

this stuff I carefully walk away without ever leaving sight of the locker except for the 5 seconds that I pop into the group sales office window and tell them there is a problem with the lockers and demand they get someone there and quick.

I just walk away and camped out at the locker until staff showed up.

That nice lady from the office is pretty darn sure its operator error

(me being unqualified to operate 3 quarters and a key)

so I slam 3 more quarters in and have her turn the key..which..does not come out.

Thats $6.00 gone now into two lockers.

She then tells me there must be something wrong with THAT locker.

Yea. OK. So what about the first one I lost 3 dollars in?

She says...thats OK... there's plenty of lockers here... and you can see at least 20 orange

keys....

which I reply sure.... and open all the doors to show her that every damned locker

is full and NOBODY walked away with a key.

SOOOOOOOOO

NO... you have problem and I want a locking locker, not a cubby hole so get whoever fixes

these now.

She then tells me the rental shop takes care of the lockers and SHE can't give me my lost money back.

I said I don't care about the $6.00.

I care about the fact that I CAN'T GO OUT TO SKI IF I CAN'T LOCK up my stuff so get

whoever fixes them .. now.

Two guys from rentals show up...one sticks around, the other bolts.

So then here we go again... same routine... I must be incapable of operating a 3 quarter locker.....

3 more quarters....

no more keys...

OH STUNNING!

Mr fixit from rentals never seen this happen before today.

But he does have master keys... pulls open the money box....

refunds my money and says the same thing the nice lady said....

just use another locker.

So I then told him ..

YOU PICK THE LOCKER I SHOULD USE

and then YOU watch me put 3 quarters in and GET A KEY.

He says that would be a waste of 3 quarters.

WHAT ARE THESE PEOPLE SMOKING!!!!!!!!!!!!

He has the master key and can refund any and all of this 3 quarter get me a key test.

So he gets it.

And opens up a locker...which is full... and another .. and another...

so I asked him what is Blue's policy for using lockers without paying for them?

How about we pull a lunch cooler out of a locker that the key DOES work in and put the lunch in cooler in the screwy locker.

No harm in that. eah?

Think about that the next time YOU use a locker without paying.

He says no.... there's got to be an empty locker here

and YES we found one ...dropped 3 quarters in.. got a key... and got back my 3 quarters.

So by now I'm totally drenched in sweat and I have to swap out my first base layer for a dry

one and start all over again.

So as I'm getting redressed for snow this group of people come in..and get their lunch,

and yes...

they turned out to be jitbags with cars that never paid for lockers.

so my next thought was simply that perhaps the right thing to do is

pay $6 into four of their lockers ...take the keys... throw them away....

and when they complained to Blue that their stuff was locked up then

Blue would charge them $10 for each lost key.

But no... I didn't do it ...mostly because this all started with the problem that no keys would

come out of that block of lockers.

I was just amazed that such a simple thing as securing belongings could be

such a waste of time today and almost meant not getting out at all.

I just can't imagine how furious a customer would be if they paid like hundred bucks for

a lift ticket, rentals , a lesson, lunch..etc.... then had to dick around for an hour trying

to figure out how to secure their stuff.. perhaps miss their lesson.

Blue should be on top of stuff as simple as faulting keys in lockers.

Blue should put up signs that say lockers used without paying will be emptied into the LOST AND FOUND. PAY for a key or leave the lockers empty for paying customers...you jitbags.

Wow

• Like 1