Good Place to Stay in Utah

train36

Well our plan just to pick a place and go failed cause a couple people bailed. Me and a friend are going to Utah Feb. 19th to Feb. 24th. 5 night stay and 5 days of riding. We are trying to do it cheap. Right now we are planning on staying at the Extended Stay in Sandy, taking a direct flight and renting a cheap car to get us around or at least to the park and ride for the bus cause renting an SUV is big money. Doing this it will cost 533 a person on priceline, pretty cheap. If there is a better place or a place close to one of the buses that would be nice to know. We just figured that if it isn't going to snow we will be fine and get the option to drive to Pow Mow or Snowbasin where we could score a day or two after a storm. If it snows we will just park and take the bus up the Canyons. Does this sound like a good idea? If we rented an SUV it would add a couple hundred each to the trip, doesn't seem worth it.

Edited by train36

Well our plan just to pick a place and go failed cause a couple people bailed. Me and a friend are going to Utah Feb. 19th to Feb. 24th. We are trying to do it cheap. Right now we are planning on staying at the Extended Stay in Sandy, taking a direct flight and renting a cheap car to get us around or at least to the park and ride for the bus cause renting an SUV is big money. Doing this it will cost 533 a person on priceline, pretty cheap. If there is a better place or a place close to one of the buses that would be nice to know. We just figured that if it isn't going to snow we will be fine and get the option to drive to Pow Mow or Snowbasin where we could score a day or two after a storm. If it snows we will just park and take the bus up the Canyons. Does this sound like a good idea? If we rented an SUV it would add a couple hundred each to the trip, doesn't seem worth it.

stop at walmart and get a $30 set of chains. if it snows, you and the car will thank you. if it doesnt, you just return them and there is no loss. thats what we did 2 weeks ago when we were out there and it didnt stop snowing until the day we left. if it wasnt for the chains, we would have had a miserable time watching it snow from the window.

Dude I think the extended stay your talking about has a bus station that only runs twice a day and its like a mile from the bus stop. So even if you make the one bus in the morning you may not make the one back to that stop. Friday and Saturdays you get alot of people riding the buses back out the canyon so even though your done at 4 you may not be able to get on a bus until 5:30 and then you missed your one chance and have to walk 6 miles through beautiful sandy.

Give me a few minutes and I'll check on the above.

Yeah I'm pretty damn sure your talking about Extended Stay Midvale which is a fucking dump, place is full of meth heads and welfare moms.

There is the Crystal Inn at 818 East Winchester St. in Midvale and the ski bus picks up at their front door.

Also studio 6 in midvale has a UTA ski bus stop at $39-45/night, with a kitchen.

La Quinta in Midvale is 55ish a night and it's a 5 minute walk from the 7200 park and ride to pick up the bus.

Motel 6 and little america are on 600 south which is in SLC and as is maybe 2 or 3 blocks from the train which takes you to the bus depot in sandy to go up the canyon.

Snowpine would let you do the entire trip without a car, its more loot but your in the canyon and don't need a rental car. I've heard the food is actually pretty good. Meals and loding is like 105 for a dorm.

The days in located in Midvale used to run a $49 special that included unlimited public transport and lift ticket. I don't even know if they are still there but you could find out.

I'd just stay somewhere cheap that is actually near stuff and just get up early and park your car in the lots at the bottom of the canyons if its 4x4 and chains. UTA is decent but the bus sucks for riding where you have all kinds of stuff and it can be painfully slow if you get the wrong driver.

Check liftopia for cheap tickets of pick them up at Canyon Sports. The canyon resorts is offering some $100 2 tickets 2 beers 2 burgers thing too.

Edited by Johnny Law
  • Like 1

Damn Johnny thanks for all the info. I will look into those places. The extended Stay is in Sandy not Midvale. Here is the address : 10715 Auto Mall Drive ,Sandy . Thanks again.

That's actually good, I think, the union park one is seriously sketchy still I'd check the UTA website because its entirely possible I switched the places and Sandy's the one with the never operating bus stop.

One time were it would be useful for DHarrisburg around and he's in some kind of self imposed exile....

I had a friend who stayed there and he said it was fine but you never know. I found La Qunita for around 600$ total so we might just go with that to be safe.

The hotel you first gave an address for is fine, and it's right behind the sandy Canyon sports store so get a cheap car and chains.

Just FYI, on my first trip to SLC (doing pretty much what you are now, but staying in what was the comfort suites, now Hoiday Inn I think) I rented a compact from Budget, having declined their kind offer to upgrade to something better suited to the snowboard bag I was dragging behind me, we went to the lot where they gave me an SUV 'cos it's pretty much all they had. Luck of the draw I guess.

Waiting for a bus sucks

Edited by Timeless

Kingslug from www.noshitzone.com stayed at an extended stay in Sandy for like 24 bucks a night....mad cheap....anyway as long as you are not looking for plush accomadations it should be fine. There's no ways it can rival the fleabag status of sleep inn and travel inn in Rutland. Anyway that is a great deal....less than I spent on food and drink in Jackson hole. I am looking into doing a skifari from Denver in early March....why are AWD vehicles like triple ad much money??? Weaksauce as it cab cost like 80 bucks a day to rent a Jeep Liberty which the mall security rocks......

I ran into that booking my recent trip to CO. Book sooner that later though. I waited a couple days and the price of the SUV went up $50-60.

That sounds like a pretty good idea . Neither of us have any idea how to put them on though but it can"t be too tough. Well we would still be able to drive and catch the bus without them but that does sound like a good plan.

i had never put them on before our trip either, and by the end of the trip, we were getting them on in under 5 minutes.

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like we might just book that Extended Stay if it is decent and close to Canyon Sports. Should be booking it today.

I only made it to the Canyon sports in Midvale, but that place is a joke if you actually need to pick up some gear. Big ass store with hardly anything in it. What a waste of space. If you need some gear, check out Ski-N-See, overall much better store and they still have the discount tickets.

Check out the Best Western Executive Inn. Right across the street from the Trax stop, free breakfast, and free wi-fi. They're also partners with the Ski Utah program. I think, based on quad occupancy, you can get a room/lift tix/and bus pass, for like $75/night.

I only made it to the Canyon sports in Midvale, but that place is a joke if you actually need to pick up some gear. Big ass store with hardly anything in it. What a waste of space. If you need some gear, check out Ski-N-See, overall much better store and they still have the discount tickets.

I would agree entirely that if you actually need to buy anything other than ex-rental ski's or peripheral crap like lip-balm and gloves you should go somewhere else. But if you just need your stuff waxed/tuned, rentals or cheap tickets, they are very convenient and it's pretty much a straight shot from Canyon in Sandy up to LCC. Plus, with the area around automall drive there is no shortage of restaurants and a huge target that sells beer & wine. If you get the chance, go to the seafood restaurant on the other side of the interstate from automall (and a little south), I think it's called the market street grill. Don't go to Carvers steak house despite the fact that it's very close. It's expensive, which would be OK except the service and food are both second rate.

I would agree entirely that if you actually need to buy anything other than ex-rental ski's or peripheral crap like lip-balm and gloves you should go somewhere else. But if you just need your stuff waxed/tuned, rentals or cheap tickets, they are very convenient and it's pretty much a straight shot from Canyon in Sandy up to LCC. Plus, with the area around automall drive there is no shortage of restaurants and a huge target that sells beer & wine. If you get the chance, go to the seafood restaurant on the other side of the interstate from automall (and a little south), I think it's called the market street grill. Don't go to Carvers steak house despite the fact that it's very close. It's expensive, which would be OK except the service and food are both second rate.

haha, I went in there for gloves. They only had one brand, scott I believe, and only had maybe 3 different kinds. I took a couple laps around the place expecting to find some secret room where they actually had stuff to sell. The tuning portion of the store did appear to be functional and busy though.