Bootfitters and Racers..

Metz the Jersey boy

Alright, I know not many of you are out there, but I'm starting the boot shopping process and I could use some advice as to what is out there to fit my foot. I'm a bit of a wide foot with a high instep. Looking for a "soft" race boot (120-130 flex, might consider a 110 if the fit is exponentially better). I don't need to know what's "awesome" I just need to know what might fit. Just about anything that will fit my feet will be awesome in this category. Any ideas?

I use an old Nordica Beast that is a 110-120 flex and has a huge toebox. Plus it comes with the Booster strap pre-installed. The equivalent in today's market would be the Nordica Speedmachine line. I can stay in the Beasts all day long and they keep me plenty warm.

AJeff goes the race boot route and has his modified to high hell.

If my boots were a car they would be a Nissan Maxima, whereas Jeff's would be a BMW M3. I never have to fuss with mine, he has to maintain his. Different strokes for different folks.

I use an old Nordica Beast that is a 110-120 flex and has a huge toebox. Plus it comes with the Booster strap pre-installed. The equivalent in today's market would be the Nordica Speedmachine line. I can stay in the Beasts all day long and they keep me plenty warm.

If my boots were a car they would be a Nissan Maxima, whereas Jeff's would be a BMW M3. I never have to fuss with mine, he has to maintain his. Different strokes for different folks.

the speed machine shell is a little snugger fitting than the beast was. primarily through the throat of the boot, as well as in the heel pocket. the speedmachine is an awesome fitting boot for people that can't squeeze into the more traditional, low volume higher performance boots.

What???? You think a race boot is gonna help you beat me???? hahahahahaha. Seriously, DO NOT go to Nestors. Nice guys and all but they know jack about race boots. Call Brian at Buckman's or PJ Dewy at Racestock Sports in VT...

you know brian used to work at nestors, right?

and you know what...next time I'm going with a high end non race boot that's 120 or 130. :lol:

What???? You think a race boot is gonna help you beat me???? hahahahahaha. Seriously, DO NOT go to Nestors. Nice guys and all but they know jack about race boots. Call Brian at Buckman's or PJ Dewy at Racestock Sports in VT...

why? my boots went from extremely painful/not wearable in their stock form to almost perfect now. I wear a size 12 street shoe and rock a 27.5 shell...that's some pretty decent boot fitting if you ask me :)

you know brian used to work at nestors, right?

ahahahah...nice :bow:

I was hoping someone in here would have some good advice without me having to go to a shop. I'm probably going to end up taking a ride up to Green Mountain Orthotics Lab to get fit. Johnny- I'm actually skiing the original Beast right now. The instep is brutal, the width not sooo much of a problem, but they're off the shelf. I don't even have footbeds in mine.

T-Maki- Did Full Tilt ever do anything with the Raichle Flexon Comp molds? I know they bought the molds when Raichle (and eventually Kneissel) went out of business. I was just wondering if they came out with a race boot.

Some boots that I was considering (if anyone has any info or experience with them) are: The Salomon Falcon CS Pro, Nordica Dobermann Spitfire 120, Salomon x3 Lab, and the Technica Diablo Race Pro 130. (I was also considering the Fischer and Lange WC boots, but rumor has it they're VERY low on the instep, and the Fischers are REALLY narrow in the last) I know the width of my foot won't be much of a problem once I'm on footbeds, its the instep that worries me. Any ideas?

I was hoping someone in here would have some good advice without me having to go to a shop. I'm probably going to end up taking a ride up to Green Mountain Orthotics Lab to get fit. Johnny- I'm actually skiing the original Beast right now. The instep is brutal, the width not sooo much of a problem, but they're off the shelf. I don't even have footbeds in mine.

T-Maki- Did Full Tilt ever do anything with the Raichle Flexon Comp molds? I know they bought the molds when Raichle (and eventually Kneissel) went out of business. I was just wondering if they came out with a race boot.

Some boots that I was considering (if anyone has any info or experience with them) are: The Salomon Falcon CS Pro, Nordica Dobermann Spitfire 120, Salomon x3 Lab, and the Technica Diablo Race Pro 130. (I was also considering the Fischer and Lange WC boots, but rumor has it they're VERY low on the instep, and the Fischers are REALLY narrow in the last) I know the width of my foot won't be much of a problem once I'm on footbeds, its the instep that worries me. Any ideas?

out of everything you listed, the technica is probably your best shot. i haven't tried that boot specifically on, but i've tried on the agent 130 which is based off the same shell, and the instep seemed somewhat accommodating. if you're having trouble in the beasts, it's going to take a lot of work to get you comfy in any race boot. the beast instep is pretty generous. the falcon instep might actually be tighter than in the lange comp pro, it's a really snug fitting boot, but i felt that when you flex the boot, the lower portion of the cuff comes into contact with the instep buckle and really presses down on the top of my foot, otherwise i would have been all over that boot.

Justo- Thanks for the heads up man. Yeah, I hear Technica generally fits most of the weird shaped feet out there. The instep in the Beast IS pretty generous, but I'm pretty sure many of my problems are linked to the fact that I don't have footbeds in my boots. What attracted me to the Falcons is the fact that they have the custom shell that would be able to fit around my oddly shaped 5th Tarsal area. The outside of my foot stays wider a little closer to the heel than most. More and more I'm realizing that I'm not going to know for sure until I just go get a full fitting done and actually try on all of these boots. Then I will be able to beat racechick, of course, and restore order to the universe.

Justo- Thanks for the heads up man. Yeah, I hear Technica generally fits most of the weird shaped feet out there. The instep in the Beast IS pretty generous, but I'm pretty sure many of my problems are linked to the fact that I don't have footbeds in my boots. What attracted me to the Falcons is the fact that they have the custom shell that would be able to fit around my oddly shaped 5th Tarsal area. The outside of my foot stays wider a little closer to the heel than most. More and more I'm realizing that I'm not going to know for sure until I just go get a full fitting done and actually try on all of these boots. Then I will be able to beat racechick, of course, and restore order to the universe.

actually my foot sounds similar, it's just not wide. i have that awkward bone that sticks out about halfway back my foot. the falcons might take care of that to some extent, but they're not going to help you in the instep. that aside, that area is one of the easiest spots to punch out a boot anyway, so regardless of what you end up in, it'll be easy to address, i've had to do it in my last 3 pairs of boots now. getting footbeds is the first step on the path to proper fitting boots, for sure.