Edge Sharpening

julz

i just got a new edge sharpening tool. i've never sharpened my edges (eek) and im not reallllly sure what to do.

the tool is a swix "edger compact", this guy: http://www.buckmans.com/store/Swix-Edger-Compact-OSCARItem_628=4252.aspx

anyways, i understand i should set the angle to 88 degrees when sharpening the sides, but i'm not sure about the base edge. my tool can be adjusted to 1 or .5, which should i choose for typical PA conditions?

also, my tool didnt come with the file shown, instead it came with a "swix performance diamond stone". is this a problem?

i just got a new edge sharpening tool. i've never sharpened my edges (eek) and im not reallllly sure what to do.

the tool is a swix "edger compact", this guy: http://www.buckmans.com/store/Swix-Edger-Compact-OSCARItem_628=4252.aspx

anyways, i understand i should set the angle to 88 degrees when sharpening the sides, but i'm not sure about the base edge. my tool can be adjusted to 1 or .5, which should i choose for typical PA conditions?

also, my tool didnt come with the file shown, instead it came with a "swix performance diamond stone". is this a problem?

That tool is pretty cheap, but it'll have to do. 2 degrees bevel on the side (or 88 in your case) is fine for most people, but I recommend 1 degree on the bottom. FYI, you should only really need to set the base bevel one or twice per year. You only really need to the hit the side edge for daily/weekly tunings. Dimaond stone is fine. I do 3 (sometimes 4) degrees on the side for really slicing through ice, but it also requires a lot more maintenance.