Seriously, WTF is with this Weather?

Ride Delaware ?

1 minute ago, Schif said:

I'm hoping the pool at my complex is fairly warm for this coming weekend. I wanted to head down to the beach, but I'm dog sitting instead so it'll just be a weekend of kicking back at the pool and perhaps enjoying some beverages in between dog walks. 

The going rate for dog sitting is like $60-70  a night.  Make that Johnny cash.  My parents dog actually gets Acupuncture..fools and their money. 

1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

The going rate for dog sitting is like $60-70  a night.  Make that Johnny cash.  My parents dog actually gets Acupuncture..fools and their money. 

Meh, I'm just a nice guy. I never mind helping someone out by watching a dog. 

My dog is almost scarily inexpensive. She just finished a bag of dog food 2 days ago that I bought the first week of January. She's just a dog, acupuncture, or massages, or doggy daycare. Don't get me wrong, the dog is fantastic, but there is no way in hell I'm spending money on ridiculous things that people get their dogs nowadays. 

14 hours ago, momskeeztoo said:

Yeah, they are great. Keep the chemicals stabilized, and prevents evaporation of water. We’ve always had one. 

My only complaint is that it traps a lot of pollen. Other than that, it’s great. We also have a saltwater pool so the chemical stabilization was never really an issue, but it’s nice to keep the big stuff out of the pool. 

52 minutes ago, Schif said:

Meh, I'm just a nice guy. I never mind helping someone out by watching a dog. 

My dog is almost scarily inexpensive. She just finished a bag of dog food 2 days ago that I bought the first week of January. She's just a dog, acupuncture, or massages, or doggy daycare. Don't get me wrong, the dog is fantastic, but there is no way in hell I'm spending money on ridiculous things that people get their dogs nowadays. 

That’s what I love about having a lab, if they’ve got space to be outside, something to lay on, and a stick they’re completely content. 

I see some people at the dog park with hats on their dogs, boots, etc. it’s ridiculous. 

22 minutes ago, Kyle said:

That’s what I love about having a lab, if they’ve got space to be outside, something to lay on, and a stick they’re completely content. 

I see some people at the dog park with hats on their dogs, boots, etc. it’s ridiculous. 

Unfortunately I don't have a lab, well she kind of looked like a lab when I got her, but she turned out to be a chihuahua mix. Oddly enough she's self sufficient too. She just curls up on pillows and sleeps most of the day. Unfortunately I don't have a yard so I have to take her out all the time but she's pretty content to just chill when I've got her out on the tie out. 

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

We also have a saltwater pool 

That's a great system but you do not have a "salt water" pool. The salt is used to make chlorine through an electrolysis process. People also use salt in water softeners and they do not get salt water out of their taps. I think the pool industry uses the term "salt water pool" as a marketing tool so people think they getting something special and it's just like being at the beach. It's a great system instead of pouring chlorine directly into your pool or through tablets. But that term drives me crazy for some reason. It's like when people call wet snowman making snow "powder".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, trackbiker said:

That's a great system but you do not have a "salt water" pool. The salt is used to make chlorine through an electrolysis process. People also use salt in water softeners and they do not get salt water out of their taps. I think the pool industry uses the term "salt water pool" as a marketing tool so people think they getting something special and it's just like being at the beach. It's a great system instead of pouring chlorine directly into your pool or through tablets. But that term drives me crazy for some reason. It's like when people call wet snowman making snow "powder".

I am aware. It’s alot easier to say salt water pool than electrolysis chlorinated pool. At the end of the day, it’s better for your skin, doesn’t stain swim clothing or hair, and doesn’t smell. It’s also a lot less maintenance and way less expensive. 

Yeah, they are great. Keep the chemicals stabilized, and prevents evaporation of water. We’ve always had one. 

I’ve been thinking about getting one but have always been skeptical that they actually work. I opened my pool a month ago and up until last week it was in the 60s. Didn’t stop my girls from jumping in. Sunday it was in the low 70s and felt good after doing yard work most of the day.

Are they much trouble getting on and off? We’re in it just about every night after practice during the summer.

• Like 1

Just found out today that I need to replace my central AC unit.  Hooray.  

Anyone done this lately?  What am I looking at, $5-10 grand?  

I'm about to fucking move into a hotel like GSS, I swear to god.  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, mikes781 said:

I’ve been thinking about getting one but have always been skeptical that they actually work. I opened my pool a month ago and up until last week it was in the 60s. Didn’t stop my girls from jumping in. Sunday it was in the low 70s and felt good after doing yard work most of the day.

Are they much trouble getting on and off? We’re in it just about every night after practice during the summer.

They’re fairly easy to get on and off, especially if it’s a reel-type. They work very well though. Pool was 69 on Saturday, put the cover on Saturday night and it went up 6 degrees on Sunday alone. Usually, we put ours back in “storage” by June because it’s not really needed too much after the first few weeks of using it. 

• Like 1

I did both my AC and furnace at the same time a few years ago and I want to say that it was in the neighborhood of 10k with a few add ons and higher efficiency units.
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, NMSKI said:

Why wouldn’t anybody.  Office manager said the same thing to me earlier. $5-$10k is like a year of Uber’s and bar tabs. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NMSKI said:

In January I replaced my heat pump.Which also does AC....Cost $6800.....I bought a pretty solid system..Everything new except the duct work....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mikes781 said:

Not hard to get off and on at all. They do sell roller things you can attach on your pool to make it easier to get off and on. My only worry, if small children around and they got in the pool could become trapped under the cover. Funny you open your pool in April. We did the same when our kids were young, and yes, they swam when it was like 65 degrees out. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NMSKI said:

Kinda depends if you have to replace the air handler as well.  Lots of people will tell you that you have to replace both, but its not always the case.  Unless you have someone you really trust, get a couple different quotes/opinions.  Research what people want to sell you as well.  There are "RTM" systems, and then there are really good systems.  Inverters and multi stage equipment are where efficiency is as.  Heat pumps arent a bad way to go either.  with oil heat i would take a good look at them.  With gas at its current price, it might not be as enticing.  

12 hours ago, Mixilplix said:

In January I replaced my heat pump.Which also does AC....Cost $6800.....I bought a pretty solid system..Everything new except the duct work....

I'm a huge fan of heat pumps.  They have come a long way.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Kyle said:

They’re fairly easy to get on and off, especially if it’s a reel-type. They work very well though. Pool was 69 on Saturday, put the cover on Saturday night and it went up 6 degrees on Sunday alone. Usually, we put ours back in “storage” by June because it’s not really needed too much after the first few weeks of using it. 

We had a 30' round and the solar cover was huge.  I ended up cutting it in 3 pieces so I could manage it easier.

I'd only put it on for the first week or so to warm the water and then only put it on when we'd go on vacation for a week to keep the big crap out of the pool, since nobody would be there to clean the skimmer basket.  When we'd get back the water would typically be in the 90's.

I also had a couple of black floating puzzle pieces that I'd throw in to warm the water a little when it would get too cold for the kid when he was little.

4 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

Kinda depends if you have to replace the air handler as well.  Lots of people will tell you that you have to replace both, but its not always the case.  Unless you have someone you really trust, get a couple different quotes/opinions.  Research what people want to sell you as well.  There are "RTM" systems, and then there are really good systems.  Inverters and multi stage equipment are where efficiency is as.  Heat pumps arent a bad way to go either.  with oil heat i would take a good look at them.  With gas at its current price, it might not be as enticing.  

I'm a huge fan of heat pumps.  They have come a long way.  

We have a hybrid system with a heat pump and propane backup.  Propane kicks in when it gets too cold for heat pump.

Had to replace the outside unit a few years back because it blew up, of course, shortly after warranty expired.
Was about $7k to replace, but ended up being a more efficient model.

7 minutes ago, indiggio said:

We have a hybrid system with a heat pump and propane backup.  Propane kicks in when it gets too cold for heat pump.

Had to replace the outside unit a few years back because it blew up, of course, shortly after warranty expired.
Was about $7k to replace, but ended up being a more efficient model.

Hybrids are great.  I have NG, which is crazy cheap now, but of course that can change. Probably in the near future i will need to be looking at this closer as the HVAC in the house was probably installed 10 years ago.  

1 hour ago, JFskiDan said:

Hybrids are great.  I have NG, which is crazy cheap now, but of course that can change. Probably in the near future i will need to be looking at this closer as the HVAC in the house was probably installed 10 years ago.  

Love my geothermal heat pump. Super efficient (so far)

Edited by toast21602
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Love my geothermal heat pump. Super efficient (so far)

I'm jealous.  you know i wanna come play in your basement sometime.  I love that stuff.  A friend of mine heats his house with an outdoor wood boiler.  His basement looks like the inside of a submarine. some cool shit going on down there too.  

• Like 1