Seriously, WTF is with this Weather?

Ride Delaware ?

If both of my employees called me right now and said hey GSS I need off today and Monday...I’d say sure.  Both of them go above and beyond what they have to do and neither even uses all their vacation time.  My office manager is carrying over like 37 days worth of vacation time.  I don’t do that use it or lose it shit that my dad used to do. He thought he was running a Fortune 500 company. Also if I give myself a bonus they get a bonus...been one after each quarter this year but it’s been our #1 year so far..if there’s leaner times then just regular paychecks.  

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, AtomicSkier said:

If you get annoyed by people using their vacation time you should rethink staff levels so a single person taking a random day off doesn't impact operations.  They've earned their vacation and they should be able to use it as they please.  Granted, I don't manage non-exempt service level positions, but the employer should always encourage vacation time.  It's good for moral and a happy employee is a good employee.  

I'd take off to play with my new tractor.

Employees here are treated really well.  paid vacations, health benefits, uniforms, tshirts, jackets, breakfast at our shop occasionally, lunch occasionally, really good Christmas bonus, and we hand out tampoons on a regular basis.  

Unfortunately, it seems the company makes the extra effort to make for "good moral and a happy employee is a good employee", but it doesnt always go the other way.  Me personally, i would have the tractor delivered on a Saturday, so it wouldnt impact daily operations.  Thats just me though.  And since most are hourly employees, taking that day off impacts their paycheck, and trust me, most people i work with live week to week.  

We work in two different sectors.  It might not be a big deal for you to take off and go ride your scooter, and you could probably even handle some work away from the office.  it simply doesnt work that way in other fields.  I'm sort of out of the daily operations position i was in, so i dont really have to deal with much of the personnel issues, but "rethinking staff levels" is kind of a funny term when we just simply cant hire enough people.  If you happen to know anybody that has a Class A license, an operator, or just really a decent laborer with a clean driving record, let me know.  

Being seasonal, i can take off to go play in the snow randomly in the winter.  Theres just not that much going on then, but i would never be able to (or feel good about doing it) pull that off during the season.   

8 hours ago, toast21602 said:

Hell yeah! Look at these lines! 

9A41B88F-F01A-4AC6-BDC1-C4D1E4CFE423.jpeg

Isnt it about time to put that fucking thing away?  

7 hours ago, Shadows said:

Vacation time/days off does not equal one days notice or day of notice which is usually the issue with service industries. 

This is correct.  We can deal with it with enough notice.  Vacation time isnt a problem.  The random day off with minimal notice is the issue.  

50 minutes ago, momskeeztoo said:

And it depends on what kind of job you have. I can’t just take a spur of the moment vacation day, unless I trade a day or find coverage. 

This.  

5 minutes ago, Shadows said:

I called off today. Well see what the boss says tomorrow.

I wanted to call off so badly yesterday..but I thought wow office manager has been at work for the last week and a half with a cold and gets there at 730 and I show up at the crack of 9 so had to hustle then took a nap after work.  I’ve taken one day off since ski season but I only average about 32 hours a week so can’t complain. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

10 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

A/C is off. So now the question is, who can hold off the longest before turning on the heat. Supposed to get pretty chilly tonight. 

Maybe ride DE..oh for relevant people probably NMSki will go the distance. He bought his whole family snuggies over the summer on Overstock.com so he’s prepared. 

Maybe ride DE..oh for relevant people probably NMSki will go the distance. He bought his whole family snuggies over the summer on Overstock.com so he’s prepared. 

I’ve always made it through October no problem. Every year we try for “no heat November” but never quite make it. My wife doesn’t know how to light the pilot light on the boiler so it’s as long as I can take it.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NMSKI said:

I’ve always made it through October no problem. Every year we try for “no heat November” but never quite make it. My wife doesn’t know how to light the pilot light on the boiler so it’s as long as I can take it.

I'm going to do it this year. Between the global warming and the very hot upstairs at my new place I think no heat november is going to happen

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Barb said:

You keep your heat on 68 at night?! Mine is set for 66 during the day and 62 at night. On really frigid days I get daring and turn it to 67 but that’s as high as it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate wearing socks inside.  I like to walk around in tshirt and shorts indoors.  Why be uncomfortable?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I don’t like the noise of the heater or AC or airflow..so I turn AC to 66 until it’s chilly then turn it off...for the heat I turn it up to 74 until it’s warm then turn it off...

Some of us don't live in hotels and have central AC with variable speed fans which are nearly silent.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

I set my heat where i feel comfortable, which to most people is cold. My last house i kept at 66 in the winter with basically the heat turned off to my bedroom. The house in the poconos i usually have set at 70 to feel comfortable. Weird. 

But what do you keep your hotel room at? 

First snow of the season. All the dogs at the park were happy!
cb03551b4b03352ad0948cf5e29c0592.jpg

Snow kept clumping up on my boot. Fingers crossed I may get it off next week.
431a1b17b488e6eaaf7ff21b00db7d0c.jpg

75 degrees yesterday and 22 when I left the house this morning was quite a shock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3