Seriously, WTF is with this Weather?

Ride Delaware ?

Wow. On my almost 2 hour ride home from Blue thought maybe next time try the turnpike. Glad I didn’t. I don’t get why, when they make a big deal out of a storm that’s supposedly on its way, they are salting the roads, putting brine down. Then we get some slippery roads, and there’s not a salt truck to be found. WTF? 

• Like 1

Wow. On my almost 2 hour ride home from Blue thought maybe next time try the turnpike. Glad I didn’t. I don’t get why, when they make a big deal out of a storm that’s supposedly on its way, they are salting the roads, putting brine down. Then we get some slippery roads, and there’s not a salt truck to be found. WTF? 

Honestly I don't know if anyone saw it coming. Was basically a series of pretty serious snow squalls doing just enough to make roads really nasty.

Spent a couple of hours parked on Applewood Dr just before it meets Haasadahl Rd in Orefield. Road was an ice rink. Was sliding around and inching along, realized there was no way I could successfully negotiate the downhill into a T intersection. Too slick to back up on the downhill. Parked and walked down to investigate conditions after seeing another vehicle stopped ahead. She had been sitting there for a couple hours according the older couple whose driveway she was partially blocking.

On Haasadahl a pickup was off the road and a Cherokee stopped in the wrong lane. Apparently the Jeep had only been able to partially negotiate the corner on the downhill before being struck in the drivers door by the pickup traveling on Haasadahl. Another SUV came down the hill and went over the bank. One of South Whitehall’s finest arrived on scene and did not much for a couple hours.

Started back up the hill as another car came down and went into the driveway across the street from the downhill, thankfully missing the SUV over the bank and half in the yard next to the driveway. Realized the next person that tried would not be so lucky, so walked back up and grabbed my cones, walked about 1/4 mile up the road and used them to block the road at a good driveway to turn around in. Came across a dude in a BMW about 100 ft uphill of my van who was also smart enough to stop. .

Went back and told the cop I had blocked the road. He thanked me and said that he called for fire police to come do the same. They never did. A fire unit showed up and hung out. The SUV that was partially over the bank decided to keep going and was able to circle through the yard and make it back out. Car in the driveway couldn’t back up. Jeep eventually drove off. Tow truck showed up, hung out for a half hour. BMW guy and lady in vehicle partially blocking nice older couple’s driveway decided to walk to somewhere they could be picked up. Left their vehicles in the road. Began to resign myself to the fact that I was probably sleeping in my van, in the road.

Salt truck showed up and laid down a triple layer of salt for the tow truck to get traction to pull the pickup out. Went back and and sat in my van as the wind picked up. After about 1/2 an hour noticed that it was getting darker downhill. Checked and the fire unit was gone, tow truck was gone, stuck vehicles extricated and cop was leaving. Left. 

Decided to give it a go, walked back to retrieve my cones (hope no one else went off the road there or hit the two abandoned cars) and started inching down. Dropped drivers tires off the road onto the grass and leaves and it did a nice job of controlling my descent. Bank on that side so wasn’t worried about losing it. Made it down and onto the cross street and finally got home at about 830. 

TL:DR - Shit was whack and people are crazy.

• Like 5

Yeah I was getting really sick of the rain.  There were a bunch of accidents near Reading due to icy roads, but no issues for me.  Did hit a couple snow squalls on the way home.  

A couple (probably 4 years ago?) there was a flash freeze one morning when I was driving to a friend's house in my Jeep.  Roads were fine, then out of nowhere, cars just start sliding everywhere.  Probably 50 cars wrecked total.  I pulled off to the side of the road and a Chevy Cruze plowed into my door.  Jeep was fine, chevy had both door handles ripped and was pretty messed up.  Anyway..kinda sounds like that's what happened last night.

42 minutes ago, PSUFly said:

Yeah I was getting really sick of the rain.  There were a bunch of accidents near Reading due to icy roads, but no issues for me.  Did hit a couple snow squalls on the way home.  

A couple (probably 4 years ago?) there was a flash freeze one morning when I was driving to a friend's house in my Jeep.  Roads were fine, then out of nowhere, cars just start sliding everywhere.  Probably 50 cars wrecked total.  I pulled off to the side of the road and a Chevy Cruze plowed into my door.  Jeep was fine, chevy had both door handles ripped and was pretty messed up.  Anyway..kinda sounds like that's what happened last night.

Sounds like a patch of black ice.  That shit is wicked.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...