Seriously, WTF is with this Weather?

Ride Delaware ?

3 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

Thats the same exact time for the people on the other side of my street. I wonder if they just threw a dart and it landed there, and thats what they are telling everybody. Being without power sucks. 
I assume yours runs on NG or propane?  Cant be cheap running that non stop for 4 days. 

NG.  I forget how bad the gas bill was last time we used it for a couple days, but I’m sure it wasn’t cheap.  

33 minutes ago, AtomicSkier said:

You could also go without power.  🤷‍♂️

I don’t like to mess with the settings on the generator and transfer switch.  I’m likely to spend more on a service call than on the gas used if I mess with switching it off manually.

power just came back on yippee

Edited by NMSKI
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Does yours run your entire house?

It does indeed.  I was concerned about using the AC while the generator was running, but when I did some research I found that a 20kw generator can handle multiple AC units so I let it crank.

12 hours ago, NMSKI said:

I don’t like to mess with the settings on the generator and transfer switch.  I’m likely to spend more on a service call than on the gas used if I mess with switching it off manually.

power just came back on yippee

How can you tell when the power comes on? Is it just that the sound of the generator goes away? How loud is a whole house generator? 

26 minutes ago, Schif said:

How can you tell when the power comes on? Is it just that the sound of the generator goes away? How loud is a whole house generator? 

If you are on the side of the house with the generator and transfer switch in the basement you can hear a pretty loud "click" when it comes on and when it goes off.  But yes, the sound is usually how I verify if the power is back on.  Sometimes the lights dim a little bit right when the power is switching over also.  My generator is fairly loud.  Probably like an air conditioner x5.  Nowhere near as loud as most of the portable ones I've seen though.  

1 hour ago, NMSKI said:

If you are on the side of the house with the generator and transfer switch in the basement you can hear a pretty loud "click" when it comes on and when it goes off.  But yes, the sound is usually how I verify if the power is back on.  Sometimes the lights dim a little bit right when the power is switching over also.  My generator is fairly loud.  Probably like an air conditioner x5.  Nowhere near as loud as most of the portable ones I've seen though.  

I have a honda thats really pretty quiet.  However my neighbor 5 houses down has the portable one you speak of.  Its loud as crap.  I dont know how they sleep with that thing running. 

i saw lots more neighborhoods without electric this morning, so its good u got turned back on when u did.  

My neighbor two doors down has one of those generators that sounds like a diesel truck. He probably can’t hear it because his windows are closed running his AC. I had our widows opened to deal with the heat and it kept me up until about 2 when thankfully our our power came back on and we could fire up the AC. For the first ten years at this house we rarely had issues with our power going out. Maybe an hour or so every other year including during Sandy when it just flickered. The past year we’ve had two outages that have lasted several days and it has me thinking about investing in a generator.

5 hours ago, mikes781 said:

My neighbor two doors down has one of those generators that sounds like a diesel truck. He probably can’t hear it because his windows are closed running his AC. I had our widows opened to deal with the heat and it kept me up until about 2 when thankfully our our power came back on and we could fire up the AC. For the first ten years at this house we rarely had issues with our power going out. Maybe an hour or so every other year including during Sandy when it just flickered. The past year we’ve had two outages that have lasted several days and it has me thinking about investing in a generator.

do it.  you will never lose power again.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hows their snack bar?  I never was into swimming but always liked the snack bar at my local neighborhood pool.  

It's pretty badass. That said they're not serving hot food this season but I can still get my chocolate chipwhich ice cream sang so all is well. Today they had 50 cent lemonades. What up.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RidgeRacer said:

It's pretty badass. That said they're not serving hot food this season but I can still get my chocolate chipwhich ice cream sang so all is well. Today they had 50 cent lemonades. What up.

Wow so cheap. My friend is a member at a local swim club and sent me a picture of cheesy nachos you know the kind they had at the fun rinks when we were kids. Like these and I was like what are they like $4-5 and she said no they’re like Tree fiddy wow just wow...yes GSS take it to the food thread. 

5799F138-2DBF-4297-AB79-9D709F415C1F.jpeg

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich