Seriously, WTF is with this Weather?

Ride Delaware ?

3 minutes ago, C1erArt said:

There should be a drain line from the collection pan underneath the unit going outside, usually discharging underground. There should also be a second line set a little bit higher in the pan from the first line that discharges where you can see it. If that second line starts dripping, then you know the first line is plugged.

I don’t like that option because it’s often overlooked. A wet switch in the pan is better because it lets you know about a problem right away . 
https://www.supplyhouse.com/DiversiTech-WS-1-Wet-Switch-Flood-Detector?utm_source=google_ad&utm_medium=search_dsa&utm_campaign=Dynamic_Search_Ads&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_Ofnkdnw9wIVQ_7jBx1AUwGCEAAYASAAEgL5dvD_BwE

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kyle said:

I’ll jump on the AC issues train. Woke up this morning to what sounded like my dog peeing on the floor, unfortunately it wasn’t. I’m not sure if the copper line is split going from the outside unit to the unit in the attic or if the condensation pump is having issues and it’s leaking down the line in the picture. Luckily the previous owner had a home warranty that transferred to me, $100 deductible to have someone come out and fix the issue. I could probably section the damaged line myself with a shark bite but I don’t have pipe cutters down here and by the time I would get all the supplies I would need, I would be close to the $100 deductible anyway. 

9BD434BD-9DB4-43FD-9B23-16FCD8C9E87E.jpeg

1CF1D182-CD53-4738-A3C3-A2896B3CFDCC.jpeg

Is it ridiculously humid there?  That seems like a lot of water for a sweating line. My vote goes to the condensate pump. Nice thing about having the air handler in the attic is the system should work well since cold air sinks. As opposed to mine being in the basement and just really cooling the floor above. 

51 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Is it ridiculously humid there?  That seems like a lot of water for a sweating line. My vote goes to the condensate pump. Nice thing about having the air handler in the attic is the system should work well since cold air sinks. As opposed to mine being in the basement and just really cooling the floor above. 

Usually a pump isn’t needed in the attic.

A dirty coil can cause a leak, water droplets form and get airborne landing in the air handler cabinet . Also a dirty air filter can reduce the air temp coming out of the air handler to the point where you can get condensation on the cabinet and ductwork ( nasty) mildew and little pieces of black nastyness spitting out of your ducts . 

3 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

You are correct, it was not from either copper line it was from the condensate pump outlet pipes. Found two areas where it had been previously patched. Home warranty contractor told me he could be out Friday 🙄….. $85 in parts and tools later and I have a 8am pickup from lowes schedules. 

1367A329-4333-42E1-B9AD-465166A6BF81.jpeg

2 hours ago, AirheadD8 said:

Usually a pump isn’t needed in the attic.

A dirty coil can cause a leak, water droplets form and get airborne landing in the air handler cabinet . Also a dirty air filter can reduce the air temp coming out of the air handler to the point where you can get condensation on the cabinet and ductwork ( nasty) mildew and little pieces of black nastyness spitting out of your ducts . 

I actually replaced the filter the day I did the walk through and closed. Also had a home inspection done and they missed the cracks in the pipes that are completely visible if you do more than a head and shoulder inspection of the attic… which they obviously didn’t do. Oh well, is what it is, I knew what I signed up for. Luckily the drywall repair should be relatively easy as it only effect 2 sheets, one of which has the attic cutout which is nice 90 degree angles. 

at the end of the day, I look at it this way,it’s not the AC system itself, just some white pvc pipe which is a hell of a lot less expensive 

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

You are correct, it was not from either copper line it was from the condensate pump outlet pipes. Found two areas where it had been previously patched. Home warranty contractor told me he could be out Friday 🙄….. $85 in parts and tools later and I have a 8am pickup from lowes schedules. 

1367A329-4333-42E1-B9AD-465166A6BF81.jpeg

Looks like someone left saw marks on ?  Make sure there are no dips where water can lay in and freeze . I have a feeling that's what happened PVC cracks easily . 

Always something ..... 

48 minutes ago, AirheadD8 said:

Looks like someone left saw marks on ?  Make sure there are no dips where water can lay in and freeze . I have a feeling that's what happened PVC cracks easily . 

Always something ..... 

there’s saw marks on it… which makes no sense to me whatsoever other than someone being a complete moron.  Ordered new piping from lowes earlier today (wasn’t about being in a 120* attic)  for pickup tomorrow morning so it’ll hopefully be fixed by 10am at the latest. 

3 hours ago, Kyle said:

there’s saw marks on it… which makes no sense to me whatsoever other than someone being a complete moron.  Ordered new piping from lowes earlier today (wasn’t about being in a 120* attic)  for pickup tomorrow morning so it’ll hopefully be fixed by 10am at the latest. 

Airhead is an expert in the bumps and when it comes to HVAC..he knows.  

On 5/20/2022 at 12:13 PM, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Some of the PASRs try to hold out on using heat in the fall I wonder if any will hold out on using AC this weekend..by Monday it will be cool again. 

We got a new portable jawn that I plan on testing today. Good day for it

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kyle said:

Welp, that’ll make replacing the pipe easier…. Looks like I’m doing drywall sooner than I anticipated. 

81742B99-B8DB-4F4A-9B96-6BB2A6D54D63.jpeg

Ain’t home ownership wonderful. I’ll bet you find some evidence of hackery . Looks like tape over holes in the PVC?Hopefully the previous owners didn’t do any other DIY projects. 

Edited by AirheadD8

23 minutes ago, AirheadD8 said:

Ain’t home ownership wonderful. I’ll bet you find some evidence of hackery . Looks like tape over holes in the PVC?Hopefully the previous owners didn’t do any other DIY projects. 

It’s crazy and some new home buyers aren’t even doing inspections to try and get the sellers to sell to them.  It’s crazy. 

24 minutes ago, AirheadD8 said:

Yeah I put flex tape on it yesterday to see if that could be a temporary fix until this morning as well as to “stop the bleeding” before the ceiling got too wet…. We see how that turned out. 

Covered the hole up with some brown masking paper to keep additional insulation from blowing down, I’m going to give it a day or two to make sure there’s no additional leaks and then it’ll be drywall time 

19 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

It’s crazy and some new home buyers aren’t even doing inspections to try and get the sellers to sell to them.  It’s crazy. 

Yep , I spoke to a contractor two weeks ago , he’s doing a 30k sewer line replacement for a new “bag holder” homeowner. 

Some townships are requiring video inspection. Unfortunately for him he’s not in one of them. 

Edited by AirheadD8
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, AirheadD8 said:

Yep , I spoke to a contractor two weeks ago , he’s doing a 30k sewer line replacement for a new “bag holder” homeowner. 

Some townships are requiring video inspection. Unfortunately for him he’s not in one of them. 

Like a year after Atomic Jeff bought his house, there were major sewage issues and he went back to the old owners for covering it up and they paid for the replacement. 

50 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Like a year after Atomic Jeff bought his house, there were major sewage issues and he went back to the old owners for covering it up and they paid for the replacement. 

As long as you’re able to prove that they were aware of the issue you’ve got a shot. 
Questions for the lawyer ? 

I know someone who moved into a new place and had the basement flood 5’ deep!

They called the local fire department to pump it out,while they were there one of the volunteers mentioned he was there before. Homeowner sued the builder, real estate agent and previous owners. He made out ok but still stuck with a basement he couldn’t finish off like he wanted to. 
Caveat Emptor !

• Thanks 1

Ceiling is fixed, just needs to be sanded and painted. Debating on whether or not to remove the rest of the texture coat throughout the whole ceiling or try to replicate it on the new drywall 

796A32A8-11D6-428D-AF04-22ED5EAD96DF.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...