Seriously, WTF is with this Weather?

Ride Delaware ?

2 hours ago, Benm said:

freaking out a tiny bit at the thought of having to pay $200 for two 'meh' seats.

This is a serious question. What makes a good seat better than a meh seat at Pocono? Ive been a few times and no matter where I sat it was always just a blur of cars shooting past me followed by quiet and the faint view of cars a mile away until they came back. 

5 minutes ago, Schif said:

This is a serious question. What makes a good seat better than a meh seat at Pocono? Ive been a few times and no matter where I sat it was always just a blur of cars shooting past me followed by quiet and the faint view of cars a mile away until they came back. 

all a matter of opinion.

generally though, highest up possible, closest to S/F line. at least you can see most of the track if you're in a row in the 40's.

that faint view is when you should be slamming a beer.

2 minutes ago, Benm said:

all a matter of opinion.

generally though, highest up possible, closest to S/F line. at least you can see most of the track if you're in a row in the 40's.

that faint view is when you should be slamming a beer.

Can we talk quickly about how they let you bring in your own beer at the track? If there is any place in the world that embodies leaving money on the table it's them. 

• Love 1

Just now, Schif said:

Can we talk quickly about how they let you bring in your own beer at the track? If there is any place in the world that embodies leaving money on the table it's them. 

i always feel sorry for the people who are buying $6 beers at the stands. either they didn't do their research or their friends forgot to give them the 411.

but yeah it's a huge aspect in terms of making it worth going. that's prob why they allow it. 

1 hour ago, Benm said:

my body is ready.

88deg, mid 50s humidity, doesn't sound too bad if some clouds stick around.

years back i went to the June race, it was like 50 degrees the week of, then 90 and brutal sun on Sunday.  everybody got burnt to a crisp.  It wasnt the best time, but im a huge pussy about being hot.  

9 minutes ago, Schif said:

We sat kinda low, (my friend bought the tickets) but we were real close to pit road so that was cool.  But yeah, its really not the most spectacular race to go to.  Like if you had one race to go to in your life, and choose Pocono, you would have made a bad decision.  there are alot of other tracks that are waaaaay better to watch.  

Every race is a big tailgate, but tailgating at Pocono is equal to the race.  

• Like 1

I suppose I have made a bad decision then. I've been to the pocono race a few times and never any other. Not sure I have any desire to go to a different track though. 

My only real good memories of going to the race was of tailgating. 

actually i lied, short of the tippy top where the spotters sit, this is probably the best seat in the house.

maybe 4 years back, we managed to convince some kid checking tickets that we were allowed into the 'victory club'. it's maybe a 4 story building with seating at victory lane.

we had weird tickets that we got for free from a vendor that just had a big ass A on them and nothing else. no one staffing wise knew what it meant (we did, it was just a general admission ticket). so that kid let us in like whatever.

so that was cool. shaded area up close, open bar, free food. then we saw a stairway that said 'media only'. naturally, we tried to sneak up. got denied. that guy had to run down for some security thing, so we ran up quick.

no one bothered us, private bathroom, fuckin FOX camera crew all that. it was the most amazing thing ever. and i got a pic with richard childress. the other randos were dudes that also snuck up, there was only a handful of other people. we were all beyond hype. 

we also found out that they had some truly fuckin bizarre velvet room at the bottom of the building. we were hammered and just started opening doors and walked in. a couple people were in there like uhhhhh. we were like uhhhh. then some pit crew member ran in to use the bathroom. we did a 180 and went home.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.thumb.png.a03e7a4a40ed6107ebf6a42d4bb4772f.png

Edited by Benm
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Schif said:

Thats really all that matters.  plus hearing some vroom vroom noises.  

Dover is a great race to go to, and there are even smaller tracks that i am sure will provide an even better view.  Standing basically on the fence at Dover, watching 40 cars go into turn 1, i was like, "there is no fucking way everybody is coming out in one piece after that turn."  Its nuts.  Probably why the pay scale is fairly high.  

Pocono has traffic figured out, Dover traffic blows.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Schif said:

I suppose I have made a bad decision then. I've been to the pocono race a few times and never any other. Not sure I have any desire to go to a different track though. 

Well to be fair its 1 of only 2 tracks "in your backyard". But like Dan said, Dover should produce more on track entertainment. 

27 minutes ago, Benm said:

image.png

RICHARD! Thats really f***ing cool!

2 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Pocono has traffic figured out, Dover traffic blows.  

Interesting. My cousin and I had the opposite experience. Although a little skewed because at Pocono we parked right in the middle of the tailgate section and it took us like 90 minutes to get out of the parking area and onto 115. That sucked but we has AC so whatever. At Dover we parked at one of the mall lots that was designated for nascar parking and it was a long walk. But as soon as we got back to our car were got right onto 13 and were on our way with no traffic.

6 minutes ago, antman12 said:

Well to be fair its 1 of only 2 tracks "in your backyard". But like Dan said, Dover should produce more on track entertainment. 

RICHARD! Thats really f***ing cool!

Interesting. My cousin and I had the opposite experience. Although a little skewed because at Pocono we parked right in the middle of the tailgate section and it took us like 90 minutes to get out of the parking area and onto 115. That sucked but we has AC so whatever. At Dover we parked at one of the mall lots that was designated for nascar parking and it was a long walk. But as soon as we got back to our car were got right onto 13 and were on our way with no traffic.

Both times i went to Dover, traffic down and back were horrible.  The worst was leaving Sunday, we figured lets fire up the grill and wait a while for everyone to leave.  It looked like a great big staring contest, cause everybody had the same idea, then we got fucked with Shore traffic coming home.  We did park in one of the event lots.  

Pocono usually makes 115 going to the track one way in the morning, and then leaving they make it 2 lane again heading out.  this is what fucks up everybody that lives near there, they cant get to the walmart easily.  1 day of the year.  (now).  Everytime i left pocono it was easy breezy.  but we did stay after the race both times.  One time i stayed in a camper in the infield.  i dont remember shit from that weekend.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

1 day of the year.  (now). 

Its refreshing to see how many tickets theyve sold and the new car needs to perform well at this track and create good racing. And I think it will.

Many people are NOT fans of Pocono. So if the car doesnt perform and they sell less tickets in the next couple years I would be shocked to see them leave Pocono altogether. 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Benm said:

my body is ready.

88deg, mid 50s humidity, doesn't sound too bad if some clouds stick around.

It’s pocono, it’s almost guaranteed to rain at least 1 time with 0% rain in the forecast 

21 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Wow BenM even brought his famous coozy

the paper bag one? that's not it.

you're right tho, it does have a very distinguished history related to nascar -- i got it at the sept 2013 dover race from the skoal tent. it was meant to be.

i've tried and failed to find an identical one to replace it.

image.png.ae6cf6dcef91a6c1abf5d70465ab5487.png

Edited by Benm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Benm said:

the paper bag one? that's not it.

you're right tho, it does have a very distinguished history related to nascar -- i got it at the sept 2013 dover race from the skoal tent. it was meant to be.

i've tried and failed to find an identical one to replace it.

image.png.ae6cf6dcef91a6c1abf5d70465ab5487.png

Crazy and I’ve never even used a coozy.  My delivery guy and his family are going to the pocono race.  He assumes it will be cooler up there and his tickets were well under $100

9 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Crazy and I’ve never even used a coozy.  My delivery guy and his family are going to the pocono race.  He assumes it will be cooler up there and his tickets were well under $100

he'll probably be pretty low.

you'll be doing him a big favor by telling him to take earplugs or, if he has them, earmuffs like one would use at a shooting range.

13 minutes ago, Benm said:

he'll probably be pretty low.

you'll be doing him a big favor by telling him to take earplugs or, if he has them, earmuffs like one would use at a shooting range.

truth.  at first you are like "its not that loud".  2 hrs later, you are like WTF.

Earplugs/earmuffs are recommended but both My cousin and I didn't either and were "okay" at pocono and dover. But we were also mid-upper sections.

When I went to Richmond solo I didnt bring either with me. When they started pace laps I was like "uh oh this is pretty loud". As soon as they announced it was the last pace lap and they were going green next time by. Damn near EVERY SINGLE PERSON put on earmuffs/plugs. It was at that point I knew I made a BIG mistake. Fortunately I had my Airpods with me and I put those it but it was still really bad. My ears were ringing for a couple hours after the race.

BD659821-A1E8-4568-BB3D-00A8716A06C6.thumb.jpeg.79caf839e1bf71b711c8657d085798e6.jpeg42C8FAF6-4C10-47EB-A4EF-0208ACC297C7.thumb.jpeg.e3d68fcaeec63ae9f94a890c34fb6120.jpeg

Edited by antman12
  • Like 3