Seriously, WTF is with this Weather?

Ride Delaware ?

Not to be a Debbie Downer but I think they delay snowmaking till the new lift is very close to being done or completed . The last thing the construction crew needs is to be scraping off equipment or sliding around on snowmaking overspray. 

Leads me to a question for the people with snowmaking knowledge. Is it better for the base to be on frozen ground rather then warm ground that can melt the snow from below the surface? Does warm ground create an ice layer or does it drain away? 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AirheadD8 said:

Not to be a Debbie Downer but I think they delay snowmaking till the new lift is very close to being done or completed . The last thing the construction crew needs is to be scraping off equipment or sliding around on snowmaking overspray. 

Leads me to a question for the people with snowmaking knowledge. Is it better for the base to be on frozen ground rather then warm ground that can melt the snow from below the surface? Does warm ground create an ice layer or does it drain away? 

Part 1 - fuck it, blow elsewhere. homestretch, paradise, etc. is fair game. (tho i agree they prob shouldn't blow where work on the new lift might be impacted).
Part 2 - maybe it's detrimental but hell with it.

if the temps are low enough and blue is all about blowing snow, there should be guns going if temps are right.

Edited by Benm
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, AirheadD8 said:

They’ll blow snow when they can like always.   Blue doesn’t have the luxury of not blowing when the temperatures don’t permit. 

56 minutes ago, Benm said:

Part 1 - fuck it, blow elsewhere. homestretch, paradise, etc. is fair game. (tho i agree they prob shouldn't blow where work on the new lift might be impacted).
Part 2 - maybe it's detrimental but hell with it.

if the temps are low enough and blue is all about blowing snow, there should be guns going if temps are right.

I agree and blue agrees Airhead is just stirring the pot 

I would think they would hold off on snowmaking on the learning hill until at least the haul rope is up. Vista, paradise, homestretch, lots of other places to put down snow when they can. I keep watching K’s cams, and they are giving it hell, but still finding that snow melts when it rains or gets warm. 
3 hrs of snowmaking, and 40’s and sunny during the day is pissing in the wind. 

• Like 1

They've definitely got the ability to fire Paradise. Unfortunately there's less firepower on Paradise than on Main Street, and Paradise is wider. Not that they can't get there, but it might take a bit more time than we're used to. I'd like to see a new opening day route happen just for the novelty if nothing else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I see teens in the long term forecast…

just woke up a minute ago and freezing had go turn the heat on. 

i dont see teens, but this trended colder.  Maybe fire up Thursday night.  

image.png.b880b9cb12e2c23cc2d8ab95905db09e.png

I lied.  Weather.com does have one night in the teens, but then it warms up just enough to fuck snowmaking, but thats 10 days away so accuracy isnt spectacular for sure.  

image.png.8e42e1e87b391a8bc7d9c102ccf9854b.png

• Like 1

Just now, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Space heater counts as heat 

Only kinda. It's an asterisk like Maris' 61. The goal is to prolong flipping on the whole house heating system that sucks money from your wallet like Salty's off-season posts suck the soul out of anyone who reads them. So with that in mind, making it to 11/14 with only supplemental space heaters is worth celebrating, even if it's not recognized by the official No-Heat November sanctioning bodies.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, enjoralas said:

Only kinda. It's an asterisk like Maris' 61. The goal is to prolong flipping on the whole house heating system that sucks money from your wallet like Salty's off-season posts suck the soul out of anyone who reads them. So with that in mind, making it to 11/14 with only supplemental space heaters is worth celebrating, even if it's not recognized by the official No-Heat November sanctioning bodies.

i agree whole heartedly on most of your post.  

One can celebrate making it to 11/14 with only supplemental heat, but you cant have the crown.  

image.jpeg.829274d3a2f3a847d24c9316e71758ef.jpeg

Is a mini split supplemental?  Are 2 mini splits still supplemental?