Seriously, WTF is with this Weather?

Ride Delaware ?

9 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Depressing is trends for next week

There's plenty of perder skiing out west. Maybe you, me, and Grilled Steeze can find a grate deal on a Frontier flight to Jackson Hole and we can find a cheap room with an unheated outhouse, complimentary sugar cookies and hot cocoa for sustenance and a triple bunk bed, though I get top bunk.

Edited by saltyant
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Yes I usually do a Western trip sometime Feb-April. Nice to have local options too. So far it is the winter that never was in NJ.

Think positive, NJ has year-round skiing in a shopping mall. Maybe they'll add an extra floor someday in the near future when the average temperature all winter is 60 degrees.

Edited by saltyant
  • Haha 1

On 1/30/2023 at 3:31 PM, saltyant said:

Think positive, NJ has year-round skiing in a shopping mall. Maybe they'll add an extra floor someday in the near future when the average temperature all winter is 60 degrees.

It went down colder than expected..currently 20 degrees in the A and 98 degrees in my A..not the band weirdo the temperature 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Confused 1

Bummed about the forecast. Seems everywhere in NE gets major rain and thaw on Friday then a deep freeze overnight to ice everything up formthe Pres Wknd hordes. Will likely sit Sat out and hope they can groom it into something worth skiing by Sun as I have commitments for Mon. Bummer for a weekend I had hoped to ski Fri Sat and Sun. 

This may well be the year I ski the least number of days in quite a while, though at least I have already matched the 16 I hit in 2015/16. My lowest total since then was the 25 I skied in 2018/19 when we had the Blue passes. I expect I will need a positive change to current weather trends or a couple western trips to top that this year. No chance of getting near the 41 I skied in 20/21.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski

4 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Bummed about the forecast. Seems everywhere in NE gets major rain and thaw on Friday then a deep freeze overnight to ice everything up formthe Pres Wknd hordes. Will likely sit Sat out and hope they can groom it into something worth skiing by Sun as I have commitments for Mon. Bummer for a weekend I had hoped to ski Fri Sat and Sun. 

This may well be the year I ski the least number of days in quite a while, though at least I have already matched the 16 I hit in 2015/16. My lowest total since then was the 25 I skied in 2018/19 when we had the Blue passes. I expect I will need a positive change to current weather trends or a couple western trips to top that this year. No chance of getting near the 41 I skied in 20/21.

Are you planning any trips out west?

6 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Are you planning any trips out west?

Nothing planned yet but I hope to go some time after March 10. Til then I am too busy due to playing guitar in a HS production of Grease (rehearsals are why I can't ski Monday and what I did yesterday afternoon).

6 hours ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Okemo was pretty rough this morning. I had higher expectations now that I'm in Vermont. It felt like skiing at Blue mountain with the crappy snow and ice. Fortunately the sun and warm temps made the snow really fun to ski in and the afternoon was amazing. Just gotta lower your expectations 

7 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Okemo was pretty rough this morning. I had higher expectations now that I'm in Vermont. It felt like skiing at Blue mountain with the crappy snow and ice. Fortunately the sun and warm temps made the snow really fun to ski in and the afternoon was amazing. Just gotta lower your expectations 

I don’t think it matters where you go, if it’s warm one day and gets cold at night the snow can and usually is bad..I’ve skied runs at stowe that were all death cookies.  Are you up in Rutvegas now?  I heard the comfort inn and suites is nice.   I stayed at a budget inn there once that was like $50 a night and I got the heck out of there as fast as possible.  Gotta stick with chains because they keep a certain level of quality.  

28 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I don’t think it matters where you go, if it’s warm one day and gets cold at night the snow can and usually is bad..I’ve skied runs at stowe that were all death cookies.  Are you up in Rutvegas now?  I heard the comfort inn and suites is nice.   I stayed at a budget inn there once that was like $50 a night and I got the heck out of there as fast as possible.  Gotta stick with chains because they keep a certain level of quality.  

Correct. The Comfort Inn is a diamond in the rough. If you don't look at the filthy AC unit and the cob webs in the stairwell it's not so bad. I didn't want to eat my Dominos in my room because of the smell which would make me lose my appetite, so I found a small sitting area which had a fresh aroma from fake flowers. There's a large school group here every day which is hella annoying, fortunately I beat them to breakfast or I would have gone to a diner for some ham and eggs 

Edited by saltyant

6 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Correct. The Comfort Inn is a diamond in the rough. If you don't look at the filthy AC unit and the cob webs in the stairwell it's not so bad. I didn't want to eat my Dominos in my room because of the smell which would make me lose my appetite, so I found a small sitting area which had a fresh aroma from fake flowers. There's a large school group here every day which is hella annoying, fortunately I beat them to breakfast or I would have gone to a diner for some ham and eggs 

Oh wow maybe stay at the best western next time.  Vermont definitely has some good diners.  That’s where I ate corned beef hash for the first time which is one of my favorites to this day.  

Two years ago in Colorado I stayed at a Hampton inn which was pretty nice but the one morning there was dog shit in the elevator and that’s a smell I don’t like having in my nose when I’m about to eat breakfast.  

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

@saltyant I’ve been to busy looking at the weather for Allentown and crested butte and Jackson hole and winter park and just looked at the weather for rutland and it’s gonna snow overnight.   There could be some Perder up at killington mountain.  They call it the Big K..blue lite special on Perder..

• Boner City 1

24 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

@saltyant I’ve been to busy looking at the weather for Allentown and crested butte and Jackson hole and winter park and just looked at the weather for rutland and it’s gonna snow overnight.   There could be some Perder up at killington mountain.  They call it the Big K..blue lite special on Perder..

That would be rad. I saw less than an inch. That's way more perder than I got anywhere this season. 

Hampton Inn is my go to chain. Nice beds and breakfast buffet, always clean. Often choose them over cheaper options. Especially with two kids a good breakfast is worth it. Holiday Inn Express has also impressed with their breakfast buffet. Some places are just crap with prepackaged muffins and/or cold cereal.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Hampton Inn is my go to chain. Nice beds and breakfast buffet, always clean. Often choose them over cheaper options. Especially with two kids a good breakfast is worth it. Holiday Inn Express has also impressed with their breakfast buffet. Some places are just crap with prepackaged muffins and/or cold cereal.

Dang, you're living it up. I figured you're a Motel 6 or Super 8 kinda guy. The breakfast at the Comfort Inn at Rutland is pretty good, the cereal was fresh Frosted Flakes and the milk was nice and cold.

Edited by saltyant

4 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Dang, you're living it up. I figured you're a Motel 6 or Super 8 kinda guy. The breakfast at the Comfort Inn at Rutland is pretty good, the cereal was fresh Frosted Flakes and the milk was nice and cold.

I stay in a variety of places but not motel 6 or super 8. The comfort inn breakfast sounds real nice.