January 2011 Jackson Hole Trip Report Thread

AtomicSkier

Nah...the snow is better on the low angle stuff.

... walking on eggshells so my post doesn't disappear.

I think you can have a really good time if you seek to find the hidden steep gems of this storm cycle. 6 inches is enough to make a lot of stuff good. The stuff you are skiing can be found at most hills 2 weeks or more after a storm, but the stuff you are passing up will be complete garbage so much quicker. Wind MOVES snow way faster than it can fall out of the sky. Look for the leeward slopes; N facing based a quick look at the Jackson weather.

Seriously you are a good skier, you can step it WAY up.

Glenn - justo, Dan, and myself are heading out to Washington next week. I'll try and get some good stuff to please you.

Nice, where at? I don't watch the ocean for fronts, but the west coast looks dry a bone right now. Hope you guys get some freshness.

backcountry features are dangerous yo.

small drop, big consequences.

Huh? Who said it was OB, and if it slid it would go like 30 feet tops.

• Like 2

... walking on eggshells so my post doesn't disappear.

I think you can have a really good time if you seek to find the hidden steep gems of this storm cycle. 6 inches is enough to make a lot of stuff good. The stuff you are skiing can be found at most hills 2 weeks or more after a storm, but the stuff you are passing up will be complete garbage so much quicker. Wind MOVES snow way faster than it can fall out of the sky. Look for the leeward slopes; N facing based a quick look at the Jackson weather.

Seriously you are a good skier, you can step it WAY up.

We take pictures for 2 runs first thing in the AM...then the camera goes away.

And...the stuff we were skiing is extremely popular, thats why the pictures were our second run of the day.

Where's glenns superhuman thread? Did I miss it-maybe search feature isn't working. Jeff nice pics and enjoy the rest of your trip.

I don't have a camera or a consistent partner right now. That's not really the point though. JHole has a big reputation outside of these boards and a bigger on inside. I've been frankly underwhelmed by everything posted. Low angle wind damaged snow, some crappy spray shots and a small air here and there. Where is the massively steep mountain that everyone talks about when they say how great Jackson is? I know it's there, I've seen some evidence elsewhere of it. The hype of this hill compared to the goods being produced is unfounded. Nearly any hill in the west can produce experiences equal to that we have seen in these threads. I know it doesn't have to be that way, but all I can do is keep asking for better stuff then what we've been seeing.

I've been partial to most of the places I've ridden and gone back to, but I haven't provided them as the holy grail of resorts. I also HAVE provided way better content, you'll have to look into the archives a bit.

I would think at a world class resort with new snow it would be a piece of cake to get some better shots than low angle powder. Maybe it's the best picture but not the best riding of the day. Sometimes it happens like that.

I know Jeff can do better, and I'm trying to push him without hurting his feelings and getting my posts deleted.

Bla bla bla too much talking. I'm buying a camera this week. Hopefully have some crappy point and shoot stoke of Bridger shortly.

Also the second pic should probably be added to the photo comp.

• Like 2

I don't have a camera or a consistent partner right now. That's not really the point though. JHole has a big reputation outside of these boards and a bigger on inside. I've been frankly underwhelmed by everything posted. Low angle wind damaged snow, some crappy spray shots and a small air here and there. Where is the massively steep mountain that everyone talks about when they say how great Jackson is? I know it's there, I've seen some evidence elsewhere of it. The hype of this hill compared to the goods being produced is unfounded. Nearly any hill in the west can produce experiences equal to that we have seen in these threads. I know it doesn't have to be that way, but all I can do is keep asking for better stuff then what we've been seeing.

I've been partial to most of the places I've ridden and gone back to, but I haven't provided them as the holy grail of resorts. I also HAVE provided way better content, you'll have to look into the archives a bit.

I would think at a world class resort with new snow it would be a piece of cake to get some better shots than low angle powder. Maybe it's the best picture but not the best riding of the day. Sometimes it happens like that.

I know Jeff can do better, and I'm trying to push him without hurting his feelings and getting my posts deleted.

Bla bla bla too much talking. I'm buying a camera this week. Hopefully have some crappy point and shoot stoke of Bridger shortly.

Also the second pic should probably be added to the photo comp.

I'm sorry that you feel underwhelmed, but I don't take the pictures to impress anyone, just to share some memories from my trip. I don't care if you think I should push myself, the great thing is when you're me, you do whatever you want. I prefer better snow conditions at lower angles then a few turns on crappier snow on a steeper pitch.

Jackson is definitely one of those places that you have to go. It's hard to express how great the mountain is with just pictures and writing. I've been to a lot of Western resorts, and Jackson is by far my favorite. They may not have the best snow, but they absolutely have the best terrain. Even in low snow years, they have terrain that can challenge even the most accomplished skier. I've skied blue runs, at Jackson, that would probably be classified as blacks at most other resorts.

The pics that have been posted look good, it's a shame that you weren't out there a week earlier.

Also, for GSS, I've never ridden the Alta Chutes, as they are pretty gnarly. T3 Chute is good, and generally holds some good snow.

And now a pic of the Alta Chutes, from the Sublette Chair:

altachutes.jpg

Edited by crazex

Jackson is definitely one of those places that you have to go. It's hard to express how great the mountain is with just pictures and writing. I've been to a lot of Western resorts, and Jackson is by far my favorite. They may not have the best snow, but they absolutely have the best terrain. Even in low snow years, they have terrain that can challenge even the most accomplished skier. I've skied blue runs, at Jackson, that would probably be classified as blacks at most other resorts.

The pics that have been posted look good, it's a shame that you weren't out there a week earlier.

Also, for GSS, I've never ridden the Alta Chutes, as they are pretty gnarly. T3 Chute is good, and generally holds some good snow.

And now a pic of the Alta Chutes, from the Sublette Chair:

altachutes.jpg

Those aren't the Alta Chutes (that may be Alta 0, almost never open)...those are rocks next to the Alta Chutes :rofl Alta Chutes aren't that gnarly, it's just a steep run. Alta 1 does get about 2 ski widths wide for about one or two turns. Even with an 80" base, it's a little thin, and I like my skis. Tower 3 is just as thin as Alta 1. Alta 2/3 have much better coverage.

Not gonna lie, I'm just impressed to see Jeff off of the groomers and not running a race ski. That being said, Jeff, what your taking pics of looks super fun, but I'd be charging harder on a week long trip to Jackson. I want to push harder out here in CO, but I typically have to drive home at the end of the day and haven't nailed down a replacement partner for Glenn. So I've been taking it easy this season.

At any rate, my point is there is some great stuff to be had out there that wouldn't even be that much more out of your comfort zone, and would be super rewarding. Keep charging.

Not gonna lie, I'm just impressed to see Jeff off of the groomers and not running a race ski. That being said, Jeff, what your taking pics of looks super fun, but I'd be charging harder on a week long trip to Jackson. I want to push harder out here in CO, but I typically have to drive home at the end of the day and haven't nailed down a replacement partner for Glenn. So I've been taking it easy this season.

At any rate, my point is there is some great stuff to be had out there that wouldn't even be that much more out of your comfort zone, and would be super rewarding. Keep charging.

I'll be skiing 20+ days out west this year...no need to push it on day 3...this JH trip is just a warm up for the February trip with AH and GSS. At JH only really Corbet's is out of my comfort zone, and maybe "Meet Your Maker"...otherwise, if I see exposed rocks in the line I need to ski, then I avoid it. I've come to not care too much about my powder skis, but if I can help it, i'd like to keep the edges/base relatively intact. I'm a pussy in that respect (that I care too much about my skis).

I'll be skiing 20+ days out west this year...no need to push it on day 3...this JH trip is just a warm up for the February trip with AH and GSS. At JH only really Corbet's is out of my comfort zone, and maybe "Meet Your Maker"...otherwise, if I see exposed rocks in the line I need to ski, then I avoid it. I've come to not care too much about my powder skis, but if I can help it, i'd like to keep the edges/base relatively intact. I'm a pussy in that respect (that I care too much about my skis).

Drop some mini cliffs, get in some trees, etc. You don't even have to drop the steeps to step it up. The fact that you can ski 20+ days out west a year at the age of what 22-23, and then blame your pussiness on keeping your skis nice is super lame, just saying.

Drop some mini cliffs, get in some trees, etc. You don't even have to drop the steeps to step it up. The fact that you can ski 20+ days out west a year at the age of what 22-23, and then blame your pussiness on keeping your skis nice is super lame, just saying.

Ya I know it's lame. Especially considering I'll get a new pow ski next year :banghead

Glenn would be proud today...I was in the Saratoga Bowl which has boulders the size of houses, and I got "rocked" out at one point. Only option was to suck it up and jump. Not really my thing, but no option :crymore:

Ya I know it's lame. Especially considering I'll get a new pow ski next year :banghead

Glenn would be proud today...I was in the Saratoga Bowl which has boulders the size of houses, and I got "rocked" out at one point. Only option was to suck it up and jump. Not really my thing, but no option :crymore:

There ya go... nothing like standing on top of something and realizing there's only one way out. Bust up them sticks man, there's dudes out there that would gladly push your OLD skis to the brink. So no more excuses.

My pic from above is Alta 0. That pic is from 2008, which was a pretty good snow year. Tower 3 chute is significantly easier than the Alta chutes as there aren't any lines that lead to mandatory airs.

My least favorite run at Jackson is the Casper Traverse(Mr. Toad's Wild Ride).

My pic from above is Alta 0. That pic is from 2008, which was a pretty good snow year. Tower 3 chute is significantly easier than the Alta chutes as there aren't any lines that lead to mandatory airs.

My least favorite run at Jackson is the Casper Traverse(Mr. Toad's Wild Ride).

2008 was a great year out there. we got pounded when we got out there for a week. but i won't talk about how incredible that trip was, it will make all the JH homies jealous.